Budget Minded Layering

OP
I
Sorry. Ive never looked for them online. I just happened to stumble on them a couple years ago while looking at the uninsulated ones. They were at meijer and walmart by me . I really like em because they have a fleece lining, but its not very thick. Its more of a thin layer so they don't bunch up and they aren't too warm wearing them being active when its quite cold out. I did notice the the first pairs I bought a couple years ago fit a little looser than the last two pairs I picked up this last fall and were made maybe just a fuzz better. But still great pants for the price. I just go up one size in the waste. I literally wear em all winter. I do wish they had a little bit looser fit, but for the cost and comfort, I like em alot. I think they were 25-26 dollars. I feel like half the time I go to buy either ones, insulated or non insulated, they are on sale. Ive prolly spent 12-15 on more pairs than I have paid full price.

Your note about the fleece lining helps. I saw some online and I think they’ll be great with your description for late season hunts. The uninsulated work into fairly low temps with a baselayer.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Honestly, I’d rather spend the money on top of the line, name brand and proven hunting clothing manufacturers. I invest in brands that support my passions.

I’ve had mix n match value brand/Costco/REI/etc. gear and still have some, but don’t seek it out. Yes, it’ll work.

Over the last decade, hunting specific brands have evolved in materials, design, construction and performance.

I like to patronize companies that SUPPORT hunting, especially when their products are top tier.

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
Honestly, I’d rather spend the money on top of the line, name brand and proven hunting clothing manufacturers. I invest in brands that support my passions.

I’ve had mix n match value brand/Costco/REI/etc. gear and still have some, but don’t seek it out. Yes, it’ll work.

Over the last decade, hunting specific brands have evolved in materials, design, construction and performance.

I like to patronize companies that SUPPORT hunting, especially when their products are top tier.

Respectfully, I wouldnt go so far as to say hunting brands are top tier. they are good quality, but not the best...if you can deal with solids, you can find much higher quality clothing all day long than say FL, KUIU, Sitka. I'd put my mil 1/4 grid fleece over my sitka grid fleece anyday, its virtually the same.

I'll gladly pay to play where quality is required (arcteryx alpha or beta for rain gear, for example) but between a pair of KUIU attack pants for what, $180 or so, and a set of virtually identical (I have both) First Ascent guide pants from Costco, I'll go costco all day long.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
Ok, but why would I pay more $$ for an inferior product just because they are a "hunting" brand...If I want my money to support hunting, I'll donate to RMEF or DU.

I think the entire purpose of this gentleman's thread was to help folks, who may not have a surplus of cash to buy new and fancy gear and clothing, to still be able to find some quality, budget friendly clothing to make their time spent in the woods more comfortable.

To clarify, I own everything from costco brand pants, $8 wool gloves from tractor supply, severely overpriced stuff from kuiu and sitka, and top tier Arcteryx pieces...I'm not picky, if I can find equal quality at a lesser price, I'm all for it.

You really think sitka and kuiu are putting their 50% markup into anything to support the outdoors, aside from paying for hunts for folks decked out in their gear from head to toe in order to further their marketing campaign. I don't. Thats just my opinion. But, you know what they say about opinions...

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
I agree 100% in that I want the best product available for my hard earned dollar.

Yes, there are mountaineering specific brands that deliver. Agree.

That said, I’m spending my money with brands that deliver in performance and value AND support hunting and fishing. I’m not interested in camo and I don’t give a shit about a label, it’s about principle.

If you’re aware of top tier, non hunting/fishing specific brands that support these passions, please let me know as I’m willing to support those manufactures.

OP
I
Respectfully, I wouldnt go so far as to say hunting brands are top tier. they are good quality, but not the best...if you can deal with solids, you can find much higher quality clothing all day long than say FL, KUIU, Sitka. I'd put my mil 1/4 grid fleece over my sitka grid fleece anyday, its virtually the same.

I'll gladly pay to play where quality is required (arcteryx alpha or beta for rain gear, for example) but between a pair of KUIU attack pants for what, $180 or so, and a set of virtually identical (I have both) First Ascent guide pants from Costco, I'll go costco all day long.

Your mileage may vary.

The hunting brands aren’t close to the mountaineering brands for quality and especially value.

Vandy321

WKR
I agree 100% in that I want the best product available for my hard earned dollar.

Yes, there are mountaineering specific brands that deliver. Agree.

That said, I’m spending my money with brands that deliver in performance and value AND support hunting and fishing. I’m not interested in camo and I don’t give a shit about a label, it’s about principle.

If you’re aware of top tier, non hunting/fishing specific brands that support these passions, please let me know as I’m willing to support those manufactures.

Arcteryx supports many of our finest military SOF, it's not hunting, but given the choice, I'd rather see my money support freedom than the fellas running the next BBQ at BHA
The hunting brands aren’t close to the mountaineering brands for quality and especially value.

I didnt say they were

PNWGATOR

WKR
Yep, companies that support our freedom and deliver top tier products, I too stand behind. For different reasons.

I will continue to support companies supporting my passions and providing support for the next generation.

Lotta good choices out there delivering performance garments and openly support hunting and fishing.

Out of curiosity, why would you choose to spend your money elsewhere?

OP
I
Yep, companies that support our freedom and deliver top tier products, I too stand behind. For different reasons.

I will continue to support companies supporting my passions and providing support for the next generation.

Lotta good choices out there delivering performance garments and openly support hunting and fishing.

Out of curiosity, why would you choose to spend your money elsewhere?

I sometime admire the fact that you want to support hunting so much that you spend extra on clothes to do it. I’ll save the money myself.

I don’t think if hunting privileges are taken away that the mountaineering companies will have any sway either way in that. They just want to sell clothes. Sure they get involved in national monuments and are not necessarily pro commercial use of public lands but they wouldn’t intentionally alienate the hunting crowd by proactively pushing an anti hunting bent on their own.

I think best practice is to take advantage of good deals on quality equipment and not be so closed off to non hunting groups that you won’t buy their clothes. The hunting companies are good at marketing to hunters so they’ll be fine if some guys aren’t willing to pay their premiums. Ultimately the hunting companies charge extra because they don’t have the economies of scale of the other companies and they know they are tight with the hunting audience.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The wrangler pants are flat out great. I have ten pair, insulated and non insulated , and a couple pair of the shorts. those that had em fall apart must either have bad luck or dragged em down a gravel road while wearing them. i wore em to work every day all summer doing concrete construction and haven't ruined a pair yet. They are so light and comfy, and dry fast. That being said they are a little skinnier of a fit but feel they loosen up some after you've worn em a couple times. Maybe ill have to try the Eddie Bauer ones next.
Nope, inside work and the pockets literally fell off. You can have all of those pants, won't have to worry about me buying anymore. If I truck camped and hunted I would consider them, but for a pack in hunt that I want 100% confidence in my gear, they ain't it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Because I'm not into paying a 75% markup for stuff made in china just because the company says it "supports hunting", whatever that means. Cant recall the last time Sitka donated their profits to opening up public lands.
Sitka is one of many companies that donate a percentage of their profits to conservation, since you brought it up. FL does as well.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got a pair of Duluth Flex Dry on the Fly fleece lined pants on right now, just got back from an 8 mile hike in them. I've been snowshoeing in them all winter, and everyday wear. Think I gave $60 or so on sale. Outstanding pants. I'll have some of the regular DOTF before archery season rolls around. Duluth runs sales on their stuff all the time. These things haven't skipped a beat and they dry extremely quick. I don't even need a base layer til it gets below 30 with them.

Vandy321

WKR
Sitka is one of many companies that donate a percentage of their profits to conservation, since you brought it up. FL does as well.

Sure, if want to see your money go to BHA and TRCP, but that's a different topic for another thread. Glad to see they are willing to donate a sliver of their 75% markup to be able to say they support "conservation".

Not saying I dont buy or own sitka/kuiu and FL, but I certainly dont do it while convincing myself that my purchase will save hunting for my kid.

Strongly agree with Vandy that pretty much any "hunting specific" brand is going to offer an inferior product at the price point when compared to "mountaineering" brands. Sometimes vastly inferior.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sure, if want to see your money go to BHA and TRCP, sure, but that's a different topic for another thread. Glad to see they are willing to donate a sliver of their 75% markup to be able to say they support "conservation".
You didn't say A) what percentage B) the program they are in doesn't go to BHA or TRCP specifically, considering neither are members of the 2% for Conservation program. You get this worked up over everything?

Vandy321

WKR
You didn't say A) what percentage B) the program they are in doesn't go to BHA or TRCP specifically, considering neither are members of the 2% for Conservation program. You get this worked up over everything?

Not usually, but this is entertaining. Honestly, who gives a shit if the OP wants to save some money and not buy sitka.

Oh my bad, 2%, haha. Donating 2% of a 75% markup...my hero's.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Well I know 100% of my money is not going to hunting when I buy from a non-hunting company.

A quick google search finds Sitka is doing at least 2% more than the non-hunting companies. Then 20,000 more to the RMEF a year for the past 3 years. they are also the title sponsor at the wild sheep foundation. I would bet more than that if I cared to look...Oh, they also support the site you are looking at right now.

EB Ascent pants suck IME, on the other hand, I am on year six with my $110 Attack pants(bought them on sale)

Arcteryx high-end stuff has never impressed me for the price neither has North Face for that matter.

Rab makes some truly innovative products but spendy.

OR makes some good products for a very good price.

My favorite piece of non-hunting clothing is the MH GhostWhisper jacket.

I will admit there are some very crappy clothing being sold in the Hunting market. but there is also crap being sold on the mountaineering side as well.

I still don't get why people buy full price. PLAN AHEAD and buy it on sale.

Last edited: