Budget Night Hunting Setup

satchamo

WKR
I've been coyote hunting for a long time but have really gotten more into it in recent years. I'm located in IN. I literally have never night hunted - only daytime. I know that thermal is the bees knees but this is not something i can justify so I'm thinking abotu going the traditional light method. Does anyone have a recommendation for a budget friendly setup to cover my bases? I'm kind of assuming i need some sort of scanning light plus a gun light?

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
It can be done with just a scanning light by yourself, but you need good hand-eye coordination to pull it off! I’ve been successful this way, but man, it’d be so much easier and less headache with a gun light and a scanning light. I think a gun saddle on a tripod would really compliment the whole setup too, just from what little amount of night hunting I’ve done. Check out Wicked Lights or go to allpredatorcalls.com and have a look at their selection. I’ve been looking at the headlamp scanner, but haven’t made up my mind. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zappaman

WKR
Check out Conyoy's C8 "ramping" light... I set them up on pig and coyote rigs. Got to buy them from China (email Simon- tell him it's for your gun- he'll know). They are the real deal-- 800 yards, TINY light, built like a brick shit house- no plastic. (*and they mount on 1" scope rings so if you have a rail- easy). I actually mounted a short rail on my Savage Axis II XP stock- right up front to the right side. Coyotes to any range you can see and shoot, but once you "hit the light" make that shot fast!

This same light sets on my 6.8 SPC in Texas pig hunting- dropped three pigs in about 10 seconds last Spring. Insane red dot shooting.

Make sure you get the "tactical" rear switch (1/2 press = momentary "on"). You can also get a "pressure switch" making triggering the light easier from a switch (I just velcro around the for-stock).

Good luck!

packer58

WKR
Just finishing the stock on my 222 night gun and also put a small 3 slot rail on the right side of the forearm for a kill light. You can scan with either a head mounted or hand held, I will say this though….. it does get a little old swiveling your head/body scanning with a headlamp type scanner all night.

Thats a good price point - do you recommend red or green?

We used red, not sure it matters too much. Have heard guys that like red and guys that like green. Coyotes seamed to be pretty sensitive to lights either way, some very sensitive. keep the main beam of your scan light up a bit, and scan with the bottom dim halo to not spook dogs. Once you catch eyes bouncing to you, shut off scan light, situate rifle, and light them up with your gun light. you generally only have a few seconds to identify the target and get a shot off until they scram.