Budget pack for 2-3 nights 5-7 miles?

OP
K

kowalski

FNG
Has anyone used Dana/marmot terraplane packs for hauling gear and meat out? Found a couple of used examples on eBay for under $100. Also interested in k2 models if anyone has another for sale.

Jedgar

FNG
Take a look at the USMC pack, I personally would prefer the down East framed Filbe over the Molle II. Get great shoulder straps and can adjust for pretty short or tall person with a few tricks. 2cents

Any external frame pack should do it. I use a Slumberjack, the Kelty load hauler is good. I've seen Alps outdoors, and some other cheaper pack at Sportsman's warehouse that look ok. Put a big 60 L stuff sack on it and fill up with your gear. Drop your gear to load deer out with first load. Come back for camp afterward.

Meant to mention that the rucksack type bags are a lot of empty weight. Frame haulers are considerably lighter, just need a bag on it. I use a REI 60 L stuff sack that was $10 or 15. Light and holds almost everything

+1 for slumberjack, they can pack more than you or I can and they're pretty damn comfortable vs any comparable "budget" packs that I've tried. Tried the alpz outdoors external frame freighter, damn thing felt like a lion digging its claws into my back with just 30-40lbs in it, my bounty 2.0 is probably more comfortable with 100lbs+ in it compared to the freighter with a weekends worth of gear.

If you really wanna do things on the cheap, just don't shoot a giant and bring some paracord, make sure you pick all the ticks off your back after though ;)

Badlands 2200 easy fits that bill. I see they have sales all the time, just saw a 50% not long ago.

Has anyone used Dana/marmot terraplane packs for hauling gear and meat out? Found a couple of used examples on eBay for under $100. Also interested in k2 models if anyone has another for sale.

Dana designs was started in 1978 and sold to K2 in 1995. At the time, they were considered the premier backpacker pack and the terraplane was their flagship. K2 still made Dana packs for a while under the marmot name. Dana Gleason started mystery ranch after his non compete ended in 2000. He started making military packs in 2004 and expanded into hunting at some point.

I think a used terraplane is a hell of a pack. I have owned 2 and a Bridger (still have it 18 years in) and hauled more than 80# in them. If you find one in the right size for a good price, go for it.

I like the usmc ilbe rucks better than the army molle packs but I've carried well over 100lbs in a molle pack for a lot of miles. Yiu may have sore shoulders but I promise you won't break that pack.

fbhandler

WKR
Just posted my USMC pack on molle frame. Great load hauler, I’m 5’10 with 19” torso and I still get load lift. Comes with sustainment pouch, new dry bag/load cell and a set of game bags.

Last edited: