Budget pack for 2-3 nights 5-7 miles?

kowalski

FNG
Hey guys, I'm somewhat of a new member from California. I'm looking for reccomendations regarding a pack that will be used to hunt California coastal black tail/mule deer (not sure what the hell they are).

The pack will be used to carry all my gear, including water a max distance of 5-7 miles for 2-3 nights. I plan on carrying about 40lbs in and hopefully carry that same weight plus some meat out. I hunted (I guess hiked because I didn't kill anything) the previous year using a borrowed badlands 4500 pack on a 12 mile round trip.

Here's my issue, I'm cheap.

I really don't see myself spending more than $100 on a pack that will only be used for 2 or 3 weekends out of the year. Because of my cheapness I've been looking at surplus packs on eBay such as molle II large rucksack.

Think I'll be fine hauling meat out and gear with this type of pack? Do you guys reccomendations any other budget packs?

I’ve heard the molle packs carry weight well for what they are. But....if you can find a Horn Hunter Full Curl frame to buy it will be head and shoulders better than a molle frame pack. Much more comfortable and more versatile going between day hunting, over nights, and hauling heavy awkward loads. It will be good money invested for a little more cost than a molle frame pack set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For $100 you might find a hiking pack on Craigslist. External frame or someone dumping an old internal frame. It will carry just fine.

Those molle packs will do the trick too and are fine. There are some suspension upgrades you could do if you were inclined.

Hell a $35 Alice pack would do. I don’t even want to remember the kind of heavy ass shit I hauled with one of those.

Primo packs even used are going to start at $250-300. What you get for that price difference is going to be some function, a relatively decent bit of weight savings and carrying comfort. A $35 Alice pack wil carry the same weight as a $700 kirafu rig. The kifaru will be a hell of a lot more comfortable though. Is the kifaru 20x more comfortable? No. Truth is we could all spend less on gear.

Fatcamp

WKR
Under $60 shipped

Whatcha think?

KIMG1528~2.JPG

I used one with a Kifaru Cargo Panel. Worked just fine. Carried two antelope out with it. If you want it I'll sell you the entire pack, frame, and cargo panel for $100 shipped. It just sits in the basement. I set it up to use the long pouches and it carried plenty of stuff.

Fatcamp

WKR
It's really compact. I used a dry bag for overnights. I'm sure the original bag would work, it's just enormous.

16Bore

WKR
Craigslist. Find old Dana Designs if you can. Post K2 buyouts are pretty cheap.

Fatcamp

WKR
I can't tonight as I am finishing a presentation. I will dig it all out tomorrow and show you how it works. I used it for day hunting mostly, but also have a dry bag that fits between the frame and panel that carried bag and tent for overnights.

OP
K

kowalski

FNG
Craigslist. Find old Dana Designs if you can. Post K2 buyouts are pretty cheap.

What does post k2 mean?

Also, anyone have experience with surplus ilbe gen 2 pack? About $150 for a complete pack on eBay.

Stuie88

FNG
What does post k2 mean?

Also, anyone have experience with surplus ilbe gen 2 pack? About $150 for a complete pack on eBay.
I have one, I think it's the first generation, made by arcteryx. I bet you'll get a few more answers.
I used it as my main pack for a couple of years and I still take it pretty often, I keep it as a backup bag but I still find I take it out.
I find it really comfortable, I did make slightly longer stays for it to improve the fit and raise the load lifters.
My brother used it for a while too, both of us loved it.
Only replaced it because I got a new pack as a present.
And it's pretty bombproof20170507_084129.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

OP
K

kowalski

FNG
I have one, I think it's the first generation, made by arcteryx. I bet you'll get a few more answers.
I used it as my main pack for a couple of years and I still take it pretty often, I keep it as a backup bag but I still find I take it out.
I find it really comfortable, I did make slightly longer stays for it to improve the fit and raise the load lifters.
My brother used it for a while too, both of us loved it.
Only replaced it because I got a new pack as a present.
And it's pretty bombproofView attachment 138453

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

That's awesome. How much weight have you hauled with it?

kipper09

WKR

739202e2b3d0e0c7cefb5c882c07b711.jpg
5967f4c2a6eaf9f093f27325a1fcda75.jpg
fa57deb4bb756d45a9724f8a046d6eb4.jpg
7b5020b1bee5a507010eab7a97311ec8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk