Budget pants for Idaho elk hunt

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
As I have been picking through the forums I have found a few threads about budget pants made by Wrangler Eddy Bauer, ect.

I have been building gear for an elk hunt for a while but I just had an opportunity sprung on me and I'm going to be trying to get all my gear by October for a rifle elk hunt.

I'm looking for some pants for this hunt. Are there any budget pants that I should look into? Or are there budget friendly hunting pants I should be looking at. I would love some Sitka pants but I just can't afford them.

Thanks to anyone willing to help!

Prana zions. Look for a used pair or they are on sale quite a few places sometimes. The wrangler pants seem to be popular also.

jspradley

WKR
Costco has some pretty sweet eddie bauer pants that are like $20. I've had a pair going on 5 years and they are still in great shape

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I cant speak from experience but blackovis just came out with 2 different pairs of pants similar to what most guys are wearing these days. Solid colors and they look pretty good for the price. I plan on trying a pair out. Look into them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
T

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
Stopped at Walmart and looked at those wranglers, they look nice but anyone know how fast they will dry? They look a little thin to be wearing late season,.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Stopped at Walmart and looked at those wranglers, they look nice but anyone know how fast they will dry? They look a little thin to be wearing late season,.
They dry pretty quickly. I personally would look into something else for late season. I use them for work outside in the summer time and for archery season but they get put away around the end of archery season. Maybe useable with a good merino base layer but they wouldn't be my first choice in the cold.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mac7

WKR
Wore the wrangler pants most of October and they worked well for me. Dried quick in a few light showers. Wore the insulated ones in January/February and liked them too.

OP
T

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a lair of FL corregate guide pants, but I figured they wouldn't be warm enough for a mid October hunt

TBHasler

WKR
They might just be, where and what elevation will you be hunting? With a base layer you should be pretty good unless your extremely high and plan to sit often or for extended periods.
I’ve worn those and packed 2 different weighted base layers and made the decision on which ones to pull out at camp/truck based on the weather.

TBHasler

WKR
Also knowing how your hunting will influence this - base camp/truck? Camp in your pack and moving?

If your planning on moving a lot the corrugates with a decent base layer should do.

For a cheap insulating later, get some M65 surplus pants (the long versions) for less than $15 on eBay.

Other than that, ditto on Prana Zions.

Wrench

WKR
October can be hot....or not. I'd have some goodwill wool pants and the wranglers.

What size are you?

HookUp

WKR
Union bay travel pant if you can find them. Costco used to carry them for $20 wish I would have found these before buying $150 FL corrugate's. I have leaned save the cash for tags!

OP
T

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
We will be in eastern Idaho, doing lots of hiking and glassing, I'd like to get some zip off base layers before then for glassing. At this point our plan is to be away from the truck for the majority of the trip. I

The pranas are great but usually much more expensive that the wranglers. Both of these mentioned are 100% nylon (or nearly with some spandex mix in). This means no insulation, but also no accretive body odor (unlike polyester). I've swam in both the prana and wrangler and both dry quickly.

JWP58

WKR
Kuiu attack pants. Are they "budget"? Not really, but when you factor in how long they last, I believe they are. Buy one pair and hunt in them for the next 5yrs.

HookUp

WKR
Union Bay travel pants if you can find them. They are perfect super light and stretchy very similar to FL corregates. Costco used to sell them for $20.