Budget rifle scope for beginner

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
If you're spinning your turrets just walking, then you're doing something seriously wrong... Those fixed 6x turrets are hard to turn on accident. Inspecting your scope should be done before shooting, just saying.

I get it, it's all about preference. If your hunting is 0-300, a normal scope is all that's needed. If you want to practice/hunt past 300 you need a dialing scope. In the end, it's your damn money, do with it what you want.
I never use a turret to dial wind-age and it gets in the way when backpacking and that is also how an exposed turret gets moved. If he is going to pack in that is the last thing he needs, if he will always be close to the road he may not care. Personally I would find a scope with capped windage turrets and a zero stop. Leupold will install a mil dot or a MOA retical in the fixed 6 x and there is no need to dial.

Last edited:

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
I've had some Konus scopes that were surprisingly awesome for the $$ they had them on Midway, pretty good reviews.

nagibson1

FNG
+1 for Vortex Diamondback. these can be found for under $200 a few times per year. I have found them to be entirely reliable.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
If you can stretch that budget just a little to $120, the Nikon Prostaff II Rimfire 3-9x is an outstanding scope for the money, well worth saving up to get.

If you're really i a squeeze, the Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x scopes are actually quite good for the asking price of around $50

Trying to correct missed shots when you were holding off windage and elevation with a basic mil dot is very hard.. especially once target size gets into the .3 mil size.

Gapping BDC reticles and holding off into dead space is not ideal. And we aren't talking long ranges.. even at 375 yards it not as ez as people purport. Especially if your off the bench/prone.

WKR
I have a Remington 700 that I need to put a scope on. I live in Colorado, so this will be used to hunt mule deer and elk for the near future. I am new to hunting, but based on what I have read, I was looking at either a 3-9x or 4-12x scope. I was hoping to spend around $200. What recommendations do you guys have?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
If you live near the front range and want to look through a few SWFA 6x, 10x, or 3-9 let me know. I'm just south of Parker. Have sold a lot of SWFA 6x after folks look through mine. If you already bought something that is cool too.

As a side note, have backpack hunted with various SWFA scopes and having a turret get knocked off zero has never happened. I check anyway, but seriously not an issue.

hunt1up

WKR
Just buy a 3-9x40 VX-2 or similar and be happy. I think I have five VX-2/VX-3 scopes on my various guns...muzzleloader, Savage 220, Tikka 30-06. They all work dandy.

The title of the thread is "budget rifle scope for a beginner" geez. Talk about complicating a simple request.

bdan68

WKR
If you can stretch that budget just a little to $120, the Nikon Prostaff II Rimfire 3-9x is an outstanding scope for the money, well worth saving up to get.

If you're really i a squeeze, the Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x scopes are actually quite good for the asking price of around $50

Why would anyone put a scope meant for a rimfire on a big game rifle?

bdan68

WKR
Because i have tried it before and it worked for me, there's no perfect scope or rifle. there's only what's comfortable and feels right.

One issue is the parallax wouldn't be set correctly for a big game rifle. Rimfire scopes have the parallax set for 50 to 75 yards, I believe. It just doesn't make sense to me to try to save a few dollars and end up with a scope that doesn't work as well as it should. You can buy a 3-9x40 Leupold scope that will last a lifetime for $150 to $200 if you shop around.

grfox92

WKR
I thought I would bump this thread up. It's a little stale as there are tons of new scopes on the market since 2019.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My personal minimum comfort level would be a Leupold VX 3i 3.5-10. Not sure what they clock in at, but I buy most of my glass pre-owned for pretty good discounts. Maybe not the lowest budget scope, but I really like the VX3 glass and think it's worth the extra $$. If I cared about dialing, then an SWFA 3-9 may be on the menu as well. I have VX3 4.5-14 and SWFA SS 3-15 and like them both very much. The VX3 is better in low light, but it may be the larger objective. The VX3i's actually were cheaper than the older VX3's because the reduced the availalbe options to save cost. Made them an even better value.

Bucsfan69

FNG
I picked up a cables covenant 7 for $179.put on a light recoiling AR. it’s mil reticle and lots more magnification.. so far it’s been ok for it’s intended purpose. Really no more acceptable warranty due to BPS buy out.. but for the features vs price.. was ok

There are so many reasonably priced non-Chinese options out there that anyone that buys a Chinese scope on purpose is a commie lover. China is our enemy. Sometimes we don't have a choice. With scopes we do.