Budget rifle with best stock?

Budget defined as <1K, but preferably under $750. I'm exclusively inquiring about the stock, so a mediocre trigger is not a deal breaker for me. Primary use would be as a light mountain/hunting rifle.

I'm seeking opinions on both the highest quality stock materials wise, but I'm also interested in cool looking. I strongly dislike the plain black synthetic stocks that seem to account for >50% of all budget rifles. I realize there is a large subjective element to this, fit is important, and actually handling rifles is important - I just don't have access to a wide variety where I live.

I like wood, but honestly would prefer composite. If that m48 Nosler listed was a 7mm-08 or 308 I would have probably already bought it.

Some early contenders just based on looks:
Bergara B14 Ridge, Timber, Hunter
Vanguard Lazerguard, Dangerous Game, and Backcountry
Mossberg Patriot Revere
CZ 527/557
Rem 700 Long Range, Mountain
CVA Cascade Veil/Wideland (or used Tikka)
X-Bolt Hells Canyon, Maple (sale/used)

Last edited:

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
The Bergara would get my vote out of them if you’re talking stocks. Looked hard at them a couple months ago but bought a Tikka because I preferred the rifle itself more. I liked the Bergara stock better.

tjihrig

FNG
I’m not a huge gun guy but I bought my son a Howa 25.06 with the heavy synthetic stock and it shoots lights out. I like it because that rubberized stock has a lot of grip and makes the gun heavy. That heavy stock combined with the light recoil of a 25.06 is a great gun. It drives tacks out to 500 yards. He shoots the federal fusion round through it that is supposed to give better expansion on high speed rounds. My son has now dropped an elk and a lope in their tracks with it. $500 scopes up out the door. Bought it on sale for $400. Couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ramsdude47
Interesting, I have read many accounts of the Tikka stock being junk. I do believe that Tikka is carried in the local stores, I will have to go check it out.

I'm also entertaining the idea of getting a Mauser M18 and either painting or hydro dipping the ugly away.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
Paint your new T3X stock after you install a verticals grip.

They will never seen you coming.

Out of the ones you've listed, the Begara has the best stock. I don't think the Hell's Canyon comes with a maple stock. Just the medallion, which is NICE.

Of the ones you listed, bergara. Functionally a tikka stock with vertical grip is probably better than all of them.

People might bag on tikka stocks because they are plastic and not the prettiest but they are pretty stiff and the overall shape is pretty good.

I like the xbolt stock shape but the tupperware ones are flimsy. The butt pads are great.

Wapiti1

WKR
Of the ones listed, I like the Vanguard Backcountry the best. I know the stock doesn't have modern lines, but I find that design easy to shoot and better in the prone position than most classic stocks.

Jeremy

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka T3x and a few cans of your favorite color spray paint. T3x stock is not junk, especially if the bar is set by that list.
Pick the best rifle and then make it look how you want. You could probably pay to have a T3x professionally cerakoted for the price of the decent trigger you’re going to need to put in something like that 700. And you’ll still be ahead with the T3x’s trigger; and that’s just one of many facets.

OP
ramsdude47
I'm not too worried about what the barrel / metal looks like and don't really need any extra weather protection (SS / cerakote). Aftermarket stocks and stock work cost way more than triggers, so that was my rationale for the question.

After reading this info on Stocky's I'm strongly considering laminate: https://www.stockysstocks.com/choosing/#
The info on Chuckhawks also resonates with me a lot, though admittedly I know very little.

Anybody else know any good resources to read more about pros and cons of stock materials? Or any really good rifle comparison websites?

Last edited:

TBHasler

WKR
Bergara is by far my favorite stick that I’ve handled...and I’ve shopped around a lot. Still never bought one because of the overall starting weight - BUT the stock is still my favorite.
If you’re not looking for sub 7.5-8lb weight, it should be considered.
When I buy a bench and/or blind rifle, it will likely be a bergara. Great barrels and stocks - just not light

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm not too worried about what the barrel / metal looks like and don't really need any extra weather protection (SS / cerakote). Aftermarket stocks and stock work cost way more than triggers, so that was my rationale for the question.

After reading this info on Stocky's I'm strongly considering laminate: https://www.stockysstocks.com/choosing/#
The info on Chuckhawks also resonates with me a lot, though admittedly I know very little.

Anybody else know any good resources to read more about pros and cons of stock materials? Or any really good rifle comparison websites?

Look at at what the top stock makers today are making stocks from. Carbon fiber, fiberglass. Stuff that’s light, stiff and dosnt move. There’s a reason manners and mcmillan are currently 6 months backlogged.

On top of that IF you don’t like the Tupperware stock, there are options to replace on only some of the rifles on your list. I’d even bet some of them give you trouble finding someone to screw on a new tube when you burn yours out.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Look at at what the top stock makers today are making stocks from. Carbon fiber, fiberglass. Stuff that’s light, stiff and dosnt move. There’s a reason manners and mcmillan are currently 6 months backlogged.

On top of that IF you don’t like the Tupperware stock, there are options to replace on only some of the rifles on your list. I’d even bet some of them give you trouble finding someone to screw on a new tube when you burn yours out.
I’ll go out on a limb and guess that guys that have appearance above trigger quality on their rifle buying priority list don’t shoot out barrels. Maybe I’m wrong.

TheGDog

WKR
Focus on getting a trigger that you love, and a fit that fits you. Don't worry about it being synthetic. You'll want that weight savings. And, with a synthetic, you won't feel afraid to experiment with Rattle Can Camo painting techniques, which can make your rifle disappear... even to a Bobcat where you missed the first shot at 25yds because you forgot about the line of sight difference when soo close. So you paused with your rifle in front of your leafy suit, sideways with the action open, because you were trying to quietly eject the spent cartridge and catch it in your hand, when he then happened to turn around as is hearing returned and looked in your direction, as you then froze... before he then gingerly started walking back in the other direction, going behind a tree, providing you with the opportunity to slowly jack that new round in, then finish the job you started and capitalizing on that opportunity.