Budget rifle with best stock?

I recently bought a Bergara Hunter in 300 wm. I like it a lot. Badger rings and base with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15 x 44. Pretty sweet set up. Had hoped to take it to Alaska, but that trip is on hold.

Off a bench I'm sub moa very consistently. Nice to be supremely confident in a rig. First trip to the field I put one through this back of this girl's head at about 150 yards. It was pretty nasty. She was with a group of does and little ones kept getting behind her. Finally, they all fed, she lifted her head, and wel... the rest is history.

As set up, I think the weight is pretty much where I want it. It's fairly easy to carry, but has enough mass to make shooting easy too. I have a 270WSM Browning A Bolt that has a much crisper and shocking recoil than this gun. I don't find either to be bothersome, but I was actually kind of worried about this gun being not fun to shoot. Not the case. I could easily put a box of bullets down the tube and not be bothered.berg2.jpgberg3.jpgberg4.jpgberg5.jpggun.jpggun2.jpggun3.jpggun4.jpg

Dobermann

WKR
@ramsdude47:

You mentioned laminate stocks ... if you haven't seen it, the Tikka Varmint is in a laminate stock.

As others have mentioned, the action is probably far more important than the stock - at least to begin with - and actually holding them is more instructive than looking at them. (And then shooting them!)

I really disliked Tikka stocks at first ... checked out a Bergara HMR, and loved the stock ... but then cycled the action enough times to be reminded that it is, after all, based on the Remington action - it bound enough for me to hand it straight back.

After months of telling myself I 'didn't like Tikkas', finally took the advice of Formidilosus and others here and grabbed one ... action is great, and stock is not an impediment. And, as others have noted, there's always aftermarket stocks - Axial Precision, KRG Bravo, McMillan Edge, and the Manners EH-T, for example.

OP
ramsdude47
Loving all the feedback here - I have been on a wood kick after almost going with a Bergara.

I'm wondering if I buy used with a wood stock how likely it is to perform as good as it looks. I found a real beauty but am semi-worried it could just be a pig with lipstick.

I think she might be slightly overpriced but I just love this stock. See here: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872840002