Budget Scope Purchase with Turret

Benjblt

WKR
I'm looking for a scope in the 150 to 200 dollar range. I'd like some where in the 3-9 or 3-12 range, 40-44mm objective. I want it to be reliable but it doesn't have to be the top quality. Does anyone have a suggestion. I can get a VIP discount on Leupold so I can get a Mark AR MOD 1 3-9X40MM ( https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/mark-ar-mod-1-3-9x40mm ) for like $215. It doesn't have all the features that I want but I guess I can't have everything for the price range I'm after. I'd like:

- the power and objective range noted above (importance level - high)
- a turret with a zero stop or cap (importance level - medium)
- Paralax adjustment ((importance level - low to medium)

I've also looked at Nikon and they seem like decent options as well. Any thoughts?

Wrench

WKR
Do you want it to look like a tactical scope or work like it? Your budge is about 50% of a used scope that satisfies your criteria.

A cheap adjustable scope with high magnification is just a recipe for disaster.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I don't know if it will dial elevation adequately

That's probably a pretty good bet. If you want to dial, buy a scope that's made to dial. That Nikon is not.

Your budget is a bit small for what you're looking for. If I were in your position I would consider the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 4-16x44. From what I've read it's pretty reliable for the price point (nothing in your price range is going to be bomb proof). I've seen and handled a few and liked the feel of them. Blackovis is a site sponsor and they have them in stock for $350.

https://www.blackovis.com/vortex-diamondback-tactical-ffp-4-16x44-moa-riflescope

They have a 10% rokslide discount (I'm not posting the code for all the nonmember vultures, but you can google it) so that will bring it down to $315.

More options out there and I'm sure others will chime in.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
That's probably a pretty good bet. If you want to dial, buy a scope that's made to dial. That Nikon is not.

Your budget is a bit small for what you're looking for. If I were in your position I would consider the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 4-16x44. From what I've read it's pretty reliable for the price point (nothing in your price range is going to be bomb proof). I've seen and handled a few and liked the feel of them. Blackovis is a site sponsor and they have them in stock for $350.

https://www.blackovis.com/vortex-diamondback-tactical-ffp-4-16x44-moa-riflescope

They have a 10% rokslide discount (I'm not posting the code for all the nonmember vultures, but you can google it) so that will bring it down to $315.

More options out there and I'm sure others will chime in.

Thanks for the feedback. I do know the code. I've looked at that one but still not quite within budget. Leupold also makes a VX Freedom 3-9 with a CDS. I don't love it is the only reason why I haven't mentioned it. It doesn't have a zero stop and the dial isn't great, but all it would need is a cap and I'd be satisfied. I'd rather not have a dial on this rifle and stay within budget. I'm going to get the Vortex Viper HST for another rifle and really like that one. Seem like a great buy for $550. The rifle I'm looking for right now is just a back up that I rarely use. It's almost hard to justify buying a $300+ scope for it. Right now it's got a $99 Tasco scope on it that I bought in the mid-90's. The parallax is so horrible that I can barely sight it in at 100 yds. I figured it was time to get something better. I would rarely use a dial for it and might even be able to get by with hash marks in the crossair.

sram9102

WKR
I've played around with a few scopes that you can dial in this price range and it's a bad idea. Get a scope with some subtensions or a mil-dot and learn your gaps. Your asking for trouble dialing a 200 dollar scope.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
For any scope in that range, once you get it sighted in, you're going to want to leave the turrets alone. There are a lot of $500-$700 scopes that don't track perfectly, for a $200 scope you should just be looking for one that will hold a zero and be reasonably durable.

BuckSnort

WKR
The folks suggesting SWFA are giving you great advice.. I just ordered a SWFA 6x in MOA a couple weeks ago for my wifes rifle.. I had doubts about the 6x being enough and a lot of members here confirmed it would be .. Long story short my wife is ringing steel with it at 860 yards (she never shot past 360 until now) and it tracks dead on and returns dead nuts to zero every time... I like the scope so much that I just ordered 2 more... Best scope for the money IMO

BAKPAKR

WKR
I haven’t looked through a fixed 6x SWFA but I sure like the reticle on my 3-9 SWFA at 6x. The deal that is going on now is pretty good.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I've never heard of SWFA and can't believe everyone that is into them. I just can't get used to the fixed scope.