Budget Shotguns For Bird Hunting, By Matt Wymer

Matt,
Welcome to wingshooting.
The best way I know to spend a day with my son and our dog and wish the same for you.
The picture of your son shouldering the shotgun looks like a shotgun that's too long/nose heavy.
Take out the spacer until he's 5'7".
Good luck on the birds.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Matt,
Welcome to wingshooting.
The best way I know to spend a day with my son and our dog and wish the same for you.
The picture of your son shouldering the shotgun looks like a shotgun that's too long/nose heavy.
Take out the spacer until he's 5'7".
Good luck on the birds.
He was out of position for sure. I am getting him some lessons to help. That and making him do some curls. : ) Appreciate the input!

Good call on the TriStar. I recently went through the same decision process but settled on a Weatherby Youth SA-08 20g. It was a hard call between it and the TriStar but I believe the Weatherby has a .5 inch less LOP. My son is only 9 and not big for his age so needed that half inch. We are taking it turkey hunting in a couple weeks. Enjoy the new hunting grounds and hunting with your boy. Good times ahead.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! I think the big challenge for my son is the ability to hold the shotgun in a shooting position. He is self motivated though and my wife has him on a strength program. : ) How have you found the recoil on the Weatherby?

Recoil is not to bad. Especially for such a short, light gun. He was okay shooting the 2 3/4” shells and they were pretty high velocity, 1325fps. Shot 4-5 of those and was ready to shoot more. He wasn’t quite as happy shooting the 3” turkey load. He was more than done after the 2nd one, lol He’s only 58lbs. He was shooting off a tripod with a gun rest attachment.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got a weatherby PA-08 synthetic shotgun a few years ago, it’s gotten thrashed bouncing around boats, getting rained on etc but it’s been one heck of a fun for the 200.00 I paid for it.

pullit

FNG
The Wby SA-08 is nice in the fact that it is a gas gun and that will help with the recoil.
I am almost sure they make a youth model and can be found for around $500.
The Remington 870 youth is another good option if you want to go cheaper. You can add or take away spacers as needed as he grows.