Budget Spotter Is It Worth It?

Gage2

FNG
Looking for any and everyone’s advice/thoughts.

Being a young college student that works full time has allowed me to get out and hunt and buy some mid range budget type gear to get me going. Primarily targeting mule deer in big mountain wilderness areas has put my 10x42’s to the test a few times. I feel like a spotter would allow me to determine whether a bucks a shooter when it’s to far to tell with my 10x42 (which happens frequently). I’m not looking to count points at a mile away or anything like that just something that’s effective to see frame in that 1000 yard range. I’ve been looking at spotters in the $600ish range as forking up a $1k or 2 for a piece of gear is not in my interest. Where I struggle is that I’ve heard a lot of guys in the industry suggest not buying a $600 scope and instead save up for a nicer one. Although honestly even with a spare $2k laying around I dont think I could justify buying something like that.

I guess what I’m asking is a mid range spotter worth it?

Models I’ve been looking at are the Athlon Ares and Vortex Viper open to reviews and other suggestions as well.

Rob5589

WKR
Do a search for the Ares. You'll find many favorable comments. Doug at Cameraland can take care of you if you go that route.

JRMiller

WKR
It could just be me, but i feel the differance in low quality vs high quality binos is apparent pretty quick.
But for spotters not so much
I wrecked my high dollar spotter a few years ago right before a hunt and bought the quickest one i could.
I still use it today and have no complaints
It cost $200

IMHO mid range spotters work pretty okay in the lower magnification range. IE if they are 15-40 power. 15 through 30 ish looks okay and usable, but anything above that gets iffy quick. If you know that going in, then yeah you can totally get by with one. The Razor 65 and Fieldscope 60 are in your price range and both are very capable for what you are asking

crich

WKR
I'd pick up something really economical that will allow you to accomplish one thing which is simply tell if a buck is a shooter or not. If you want light transmission and clear glass above 35x etc etc you're going to need to spend quite a bit IMO. Itd take so much money for me to be truly satisfied with a apotting scope I dont feel a mid range priced model is worth considering; at least not from ones Ive experienced. Others mileage may vary.

Im a buy once cry once kind of guy unless I just want something cheap to serve a purpose for the time being until I can research/save towards something quality.

Id save your money until you outgrow the cheap spotter and are in a position to buy a really awesome used one on Rokslide or any other forum.

What binoculars do you currently use? You may want to consider upgrading them as they'll provide you with the greatest bang for the buck. Clarity trumps magnification. Here is an example.

I still have an old Vortex Nomad spotter. I can look at the moon and see details. I can look through my Viper HD 8s and see more detail despite lower magnification. I can look through my SLC 10s and see even more detail; mostly due to clarity and not the extra magnification. I can look through my SLC 15s and its even better. I can throw on my STX 65 and its jaw dropping. Swap over to my 95 and its insane.

No matter which route you go, absolutely give Doug a call.

I bought a new Orion 52205 GrandView 16-48x65mm for $90 a couple of years ago. It's waterproof and works "OK". Since then I bought the Ares 65, but if funds are low, the Orion is perfectly serviceable kit. Also ultra lightweight.

Rob5589

WKR
Don't overlook putting your binos on a tripod. You're going to need one anyway if you buy a spotter. It's eye opening how much more you can see just by putting your binos on one.

NoWiser

WKR
I bought a used Kowa 664 right in your price range and I’m very pleased with it. I’d say it’s a good investment if you buy wisely. It’ll definitely save miles on your legs.

Been very happy with the Ares, and one of my hunting partners bought one now too after looking through mine last year.

RyanC

WKR
Your situation is where the majority of hunters have been or are currently. Never feel like buying a mid-range piece of gear is making a bad choice....heck mid-range gear today is better than high end gear 20-30 years ago. Don't purchase "gear" outside your budget, spend more time hunting and learning everything you can about mule deer....that'll pay off a heck of a lot more than a $2K spotting scope.
Get what you can afford and don't think twice about it. Good luck and go hunt!!

Ryan

I got the Hawke 60 from Doug. It’s size and weight are awesome. It’s very clear and become of the aprox 20oz weight savings over my Swaro, I could see me carrying it instead some time. It’s quite impressive for the $

There are low quality spotters that aren't worth carrying, however, a Hawke Endurance ED 15-45x60 Angled Spotting Scope or the Athlon Ares 15-45x65 UHD are both excellent quality scopes and in your price range.
Please feel free to give us a call to discuss which would be best for you

You could "rent" a cheaper one and buy a nicer one later when you can afford it. Rent in this case means buy a decent one used at a good price and sell later.

Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm compact spotting scope. I REALLY like mine and it is worth every penny. Very rugged and good glass. Very decent price as well. It's light and compact and is no trouble carrying it in your daypack. I sure like mine and it has a lifetime warranty.

Here you go! Heck of a deal on one!

1595437295812.png

OP
G

Gage2

FNG
Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm compact spotting scope. I REALLY like mine and it is worth every penny. Very rugged and good glass. Very decent price as well. It's light and compact and is no trouble carrying it in your daypack. I sure like mine and it has a lifetime warranty.

Here you go! Heck of a deal on one!

View attachment 199467

How is the clarity of the GR at its higher magnifications? Let’s say 25 and up?