Budget Spotter?

grfox92

WKR
Is there any spotter worth spending the money on for under $500?

I see the Vortex Diamondback and the Vanguard Endevor and Endevor HD.

For reference I am running Maven C.1 10x42s on a tripod in NW this year for Muleys and those are the best optics I've ever owned.

There is a 4 point restriction in the area I am hunting and am wondering of a budget spotter will help me anymore then the c.1s I already have.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Catahoula

WKR
Personally I save up for a spotter. A good one. However, I bought a Vortex Razor spotter 3years back and I have to say I find myself looking thru my 8x42 binocs mostly. Just my thoughts. Take care.

I have a Vortex Viper. I like it pretty well and it serves my purposes. I wouldn't go below that class or I think you won't get enough quality for you to want to use it. Athlon Ares is as good or better than the Viper I think. I really wouldn't go with a spotter under 65mm if it wasn't a nice one. People sell those fast.

The spotter is useful if you want to glass over 2 miles and judge animals past a mile.

HookUp

WKR
I picked up a Cabelas Kratos for $300 on the classifieds and am blown away with this scope. I have ran a lot of scopes and the Krotos is by far the best value spotter I have found. It is fully funtional to 45x. I was glassing a massive bull last night around 2 miles out right til dusk and could easily count points until the light faded at 45x.

Greg Beck

WKR
Good glass in 10x binocular on a tripod is worth far more than a budget spotter.

I run Vortex Diamondbacks 8x andy buddy has a pair of Vortex Razor 10x, both on tripods, and he can count points when I can't tell if it's more than a spike.

I've looked through a few budget spotters and always come to the conclusion that for me and how I hunt myoney is being saved for a good, quality set of 10 binos. But that's just for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestNE

WKR
Look used! Just for example there is a 77mm Leica with zoom eyepiece on eBay right now for $650 or best offer. Google one of the Nationwide Craigslist search engines and keep an eye out frequently, last week there was a Leica 62mm with eyepiece for $500, it didn't last long...

There is allot of glass out there under your budget that will easily beat the offerings you could buy new. One exception might be the little Athlon Ares/ Cabela's Krotos 65mm due to its very compact size.

Nick

The Athlon Ares isn't the same as any Cabelas model. I've talked to Athlon about it. Cabelas warranty sucks so beware of that.

WestNE

WKR
The Athlon Ares isn't the same as any Cabelas model. I've talked to Athlon about it. Cabelas warranty sucks so beware of that.

You might be surprised. Neither of them actually make the scope, they just sourced it from the same factory. Spec's could be completely different but I have spent a fair amount of time behind both and performance was a dead heat.

A shame to see you write that about the Cabela's warranty... Sad but true nowadays...

I have a 15-30x50mm Leupold Gold Ring spotting scope and I really like it a lot. I used it antelope, elk, and deer hunting last year. It's around $500.00 as the kit.

Fatcamp

WKR
I have the Vanguard. Not sure about counting points but I can sure get a feel for the overall size of a buck at 2 miles. No comparison to 10X binoculars for me. My eyes suck, though. Really, without glasses I am blind. But comparatively the spotter is waaay better than my BX-3 binoculars. I realize they are not the greatest binoculars, but 10X is still 10X.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Thank you guys for the replies. I am going to hold out and save for some good quality glass for next year and just run the nocs for this year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bighorns247

Lil-Rokslider
I can't imagine not having a quality spotter. I have a Razor now but would like to try the Maven.

I bought a spotter and thought I'd love it.
Between the weight and the narrow FOV, I sold it in a year.
Good binos are worth so much more to me.

Jimbob

WKR
15-45x65 Cabelas Krotos served me well on sheep and goat hunts this year. I could count the rings on my sheep at 300 yds. Also able to identify sex of the goat at 340 yds. Sure I would like a better scope but the Krotos was useful and did what I needed it to this year. I am happy with the money I paid for it.