Budget Trap Reccomendations

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
Looking towards getting a budget silnylon tarp to tinker around with to see if I would like it. Preferably something 8x10... Was looking at a tarp from Etowah Outfitters... Trying to keep it within $100 budget.. Any recommendations? Thanks

WKR
Kelty Noah's tarp has done me well for years. Can usually find a sale

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Between Etowah and Bearpaw I'm leaning towards Bearpaw because they have more tie outs. They do have a few in the bargain bin for about $100. Etowah does offer a pu coated version that is cheaper but heavier.

Most inexpensive tarps I find are diamond shaped with few tie outs, great for going over a hammock but limited in configuration for tinkering around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

blackdawg

WKR
I got the Seek DST tarp a few months ago, think it was just a little north of $100 bucks, similar to the kifaru sheep tarp which originally caught my eye, the size seemed a little small for my uses, located this one and it is larger 10x10 I believe, kinda wish that they made an even larger size to use as a campsite cover. I got the original model with the pad in the middle, shoved a nice stick in there to keep some good height. Used it twice so far and seems pretty tough. I almost got the newer lighter model without that pad, for me the ability to cut/break a stick and shove in there for support is really a nice feature.

Borah Gear 8x10 is $108 and has a ton of tie outs. Mine weighed a hair over 1# with lots of guy lines. Like a goof......sold mine and need to buy another one. Inexpensive and super versatile. BG quality is good and CS was outstanding working with him.

dog812

WKR
I just weighed my Jimmy tarp, 7x9 with guy lines and a 4x7 cryo ground sheet. 13.1oz.
fae4f7fe7e58041edca6b13a0dfcbb6e.jpg

Lastcar

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't done anything but look at them so far but I added three tarps to the collections.

Seek Outside DST - quite like it from handling it and spreading it out on the floor. Seems very well built and as mentioned pretty versatile with the center cup. Lots of tie outs and comes in just over a pound. Kinda bought just cause. Not sure it serves a purpose that my LBO + 3pc vestibule doesn't already. For a 10oz weight penalty. But thought it'd be intriguing to try it out.

BearPaw 5x9 silnylon tarp - again seems very well built. My only regret was not getting some ties outs in the middle to be able to expand the space in certain pitches. This to me was the poor man's Sheep Tarp. My main idea was to bring this on trips with planned inclement weather for glassing under or using to provide coverage for gear or meat at camp.

Not sure I can get away with calling anything I do or buy the "poor man's" version. But in this case, I was happy to go with the lower price version. I wish I'd do it more. :)

Older GoLite silponcho bought it on the classifieds here. It had never been used. It is much lighter and nowhere as durable but I can see it being something that would go in the pack in certain if not many circumstances. It is 8x5 and about 8oz. It was more of an experiment than anything.

Anyways...like I say, I haven't pitched them never used them in the field. So really all I am doing is rambling about some gear I bought...which is half the fun of the off season, no?

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for the exact same thing, a budget tarp for glassing in the fall and keeping in the pack for when hiking with family. We now have 2 kids in kid carriers so my carrying capacity has eliminated the blue poly tarp we used with just one kid (I also used to carry a indoor/outdoor rug so that is getting replaced too).

I really like the idea of the reinforced cup in the center of the Seek Outdoors DST, and I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra $40 over the Bearpaw. I like the Kifaru Sheep tarp, but I think it is just a bit too small for the wife and I and 2 small kids (the dogs will probably want to get under there as well)

So here are some additional questions for you guys:

1) is the center cup on the DST worth it.
2) Does anyone have a preference in shape that they find more convenient/easier to set up? Square 9x9 or rectangle 8x10 being the top 2 choices right now.

Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far - before I found this thread I was pretty much lost.

OP
J

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for the exact same thing, a budget tarp for glassing in the fall and keeping in the pack for when hiking with family. We now have 2 kids in kid carriers so my carrying capacity has eliminated the blue poly tarp we used with just one kid (I also used to carry a indoor/outdoor rug so that is getting replaced too).

I really like the idea of the reinforced cup in the center of the Seek Outdoors DST, and I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra $40 over the Bearpaw. I like the Kifaru Sheep tarp, but I think it is just a bit too small for the wife and I and 2 small kids (the dogs will probably want to get under there as well)

So here are some additional questions for you guys:

1) is the center cup on the DST worth it.
2) Does anyone have a preference in shape that they find more convenient/easier to set up? Square 9x9 or rectangle 8x10 being the top 2 choices right now.

Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far - before I found this thread I was pretty much lost.

I just picked up the skyline tarp from jimmy tarps. Very pleased with quality and the built in stuff sack. Roughly 9x9.5 and weighed in at 14.2oz.

robtattoo

WKR
Have a look at the options from Bushcraft Outfitters.
I ran one of their 10x7s for a few years with no complaints as either a ground shelter or hammock cover.
Upgraded in size to a 10x10 last year & it's just as good.
Not the lightest option, but the quality for the cost, to my mind, can't be beaten.

Integral Designs Siltarp 2 has served me well for a decade now. And I've beat the crap out of it.
c7aadc1ac13260925e91858485490b96.jpg

ace2c13293d77b79e320df3c85ebfb13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy Tarps or Simply light designs. FWIW, given a choice, I'd pick silpoly over silnylon. Not near he stretch and no need for cat cuts to keep it taught when pitched. God Bless