Budgeting for sheep

Hey All,

A few years ago I started hunting sheep here in BC DIY, my last 4 season have been spent chasing bighorns and this year I was finally "kicked out" on a solo trip into an area I've spent alot of time in. It's become a sickness like so many others have.

Anyway, my life dream is a grand slam. I'm blessed to say I can do 3/4 right in my home province, but along comes the 4th...

At only 25, I have alot of time to complete this but I kind of want to get peoples opinions. I plan to set aside 3K a year towards my Desert hunt. Now here is where I'm split on how to allocate that money. There's many raffles every year for desert hunts that could easily eat up 3K or would you think setting that money away in a separate account for the next 20+ years be better off? I'm guessing if trends continue though, finding a desert hunt at 60K will be unlikely.

Heres a pictures to give the thread alittle excitement aswell.

Attachments

• Ram bases.jpg
    Ram bases.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

WCB

WKR
First...I wouldn't plan on that hunt in 20 years. They will be much more expensive than they are now and who knows maybe there won't be hunts for them anymore.

I would set aside $3,000 a year off the top and cut out an unnecessary expenditures to add to that amount. Maybe you already do but things like eating out, drinking (if you go to the bars and what not), other vacation/trips, maybe look at the vehicle you are driving if you are making large payments. Even buying new hunting gear. I know a few guys that complain about the cost of going out west on an elk hunt but have $3000 rifle and thousands of dollars of clothes and gadgets.

Figure out exactly how much you could save on that type of stuff. Then research outfitters and see how far out you can book a hunt to lock in a price. Go sooner rather than latter.

Are you married? Have kids? If not it is not going to get easier saving money now(aside if you move up the ladder pay wise). It is not even about the money exactly but you look at $3000 a year for a trip or a safety net/comfort for your family at that point.

Last edited:
OP
Porthunter
First...I wouldn't plan on that hunt in 20 years. They will be much more expensive than they are now and who knows maybe there won't be hunts for them anymore.

I would set aside $3,000 a year off the top and cut out an unnecessary expenditures to add to that amount. Maybe you already do but things like eating out, drinking (if you go to the bars and what not), other vacation/trips, maybe look at the vehicle you are driving if you are making large payments. Even buying new hunting gear. I know a few guys that complain about the cost of going out west on an elk hunt but have $3000 rifle and thousands of dollars of clothes and gadgets.

Figure out exactly how much you could save on that type of stuff. Then research outfitters and see how far out you can book a hunt to lock in a price. Go sooner rather than latter.

Are you married? Have kids? If not it is not going to get easier saving money now(aside if you move up the ladder pay wise). It is not even about the money exactly but you look at $3000 a year for a trip or a safety net/comfort for your family at that point.

Some great advice! Have been doing some of that but lots to think about.

Not married/no kids at the moment but that very well could change a few years down the road. Lots to consider for sure.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Buy a Life Membership to Wild Sheep Foundation. Each year they give away a desert hunt at the Life Members Breakfast and you must be present to win. Not sure what will happen now with Covid still cancelling big events but those are very good odds.

Definitely hit the raffles. Took me 20 years to save for my Fannin hunt almost 20 years ago and I’ve not been able to do it again. Sheep hunts go up at an astonishing rate; much much more than my salary and kids, and family, and college...

Bambistew

WKR
It seems like the desert hunts have kind of plateaued at the $50-60k mark? At $500/mo you might get there in 8-10 years depending on how much they increase and if you can get a decent return on your money. No way would I throw away $3000 in raffles in hopes of getting drawn. I suspect that killing 3/4 of the rams in your province will be just as difficult of a task as saving for the last.

Good luck, and it's great to have goals early on.

OP
Porthunter
It seems like the desert hunts have kind of plateaued at the $50-60k mark? At $500/mo you might get there in 8-10 years depending on how much they increase and if you can get a decent return on your money. No way would I throw away $3000 in raffles in hopes of getting drawn. I suspect that killing 3/4 of the rams in your province will be just as difficult of a task as saving for the last.

Good luck, and it's great to have goals early on.

I hope you're right with the plateau haha I see some cancellation prices lower from time to time as well which is a bit encouraging but I do also see prices up to 80K at other times.

It will without a doubt be a task to complete the 3 in my province. I started with what I thought was the hardest in BC(Rocky) and will now go try to kill a stone in the next couple years. A dall will be the tough one as we only have 2 units with pure dalls and they're both on draw. Hopefully I pull it!

OP
Porthunter
Buy a Life Membership to Wild Sheep Foundation. Each year they give away a desert hunt at the Life Members Breakfast and you must be present to win. Not sure what will happen now with Covid still cancelling big events but those are very good odds.

Definitely hit the raffles. Took me 20 years to save for my Fannin hunt almost 20 years ago and I’ve not been able to do it again. Sheep hunts go up at an astonishing rate; much much more than my salary and kids, and family, and college...

Wanted to upgrade to a Monarch at my home wild sheep organization but will now be going life with WSF and attending to reno for that forsure!

I talk to friends who have been sheep hunting thing for much longer than I, and they talk of times when dall sheep hunts were 8K canadian...

Bambistew

WKR
Bambi there is NO plateau...I see $75-90 all the time. You must just be on the bargain list.
That's just sad... 10 years ago you could buy a desert hunt for $50k, today in the 5 minutes of looking... I found a number of them for $50-60k... unless you want to hunt high fence, er island rams... at $90k :D No clue on comparison between those of today vs 10 years ago at that price. 10 years ago may have been the Tiberron at $50k, vs the 'lessor' hunts, just looking at price. I didn't pay that much attention, I have zero desire to kill a desert ram.

I'm sure you're right and they haven't done anything but go up. Dall sheep hunts were half the price they are today, 10 years ago, which seems insane to me.

If you are 25, the absolute best thing you can do to complete the sheep slam and myriad other hunting goals you will have is to do everything now to increase your income potential!! Buckle down, go to school, grad school, or start a successful business etc.

Guys making over $300k a year don’t have a problem planning sheep hunts, while guys stuck at $50k per year sell their souls to go (or move to BC! 😆)

I also think deserts have hit a plateau for now, there is a lot of good habitat in Mexico, and ranchers have learned to optimize that, and are growing the herds. More opportunities will stabilize costs.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Wanted to upgrade to a Monarch at my home wild sheep organization but will now be going life with WSF and attending to reno for that forsure!

I talk to friends who have been sheep hunting thing for much longer than I, and they talk of times when dall sheep hunts were 8K canadian...
My grandpa and dad been sheep hunting a bunch in the past. Grandpa has the Slam + a couple extra dalls and a stone. Dad has the desert left but does have two dalls and 2 stones. Of course when they went hunts were under $3000. I think they said the first Stone Sheep hunt they went on in the 70s was $1600

OP
Porthunter
If you are 25, the absolute best thing you can do to complete the sheep slam and myriad other hunting goals you will have is to do everything now to increase your income potential!! Buckle down, go to school, grad school, or start a successful business etc.

Guys making over $300k a year don’t have a problem planning sheep hunts, while guys stuck at $50k per year sell their souls to go (or move to BC! 😆)

I also think deserts have hit a plateau for now, there is a lot of good habitat in Mexico, and ranchers have learned to optimize that, and are growing the herds. More opportunities will stabilize costs.

Haha no doubt.

Luckily I live in BC at the moment... most guys struggle with getting there stone, while for most BC residents its looked at as the easiest(relative term) one to take in the province(over the counter) *knock on wood*

I do hope you're right in terms of them hitting a plateau.

OP
Porthunter
My grandpa and dad been sheep hunting a bunch in the past. Grandpa has the Slam + a couple extra dalls and a stone. Dad has the desert left but does have two dalls and 2 stones. Of course when they went hunts were under $3000. I think they said the first Stone Sheep hunt they went on in the 70s was $1600

WOW, "the good old days" as many would refer to.

I'm sure there's many a great stories with the rams on your families walls!

Cody_W

WKR
There is definitely not a plateau. A buddy of mine manages a ranch in Stonewall, Colorado and they just auctioned their tag off at a cool $125k up form $100k last year. Guys were lined up at 125k too so that number will increase next year. That was for a Rocky Mountain, but desert are even more sought after.

Rocky Mountain Big Horn has gone way up in price. They are also the biggest sheep- more desirable for trophy status. The herds in the US have been down. Many have been wiped out due to disease. With the increase in western human population growing fast, habitat loss is real, and the diseases associated with close contact between Wild Sheep and domesticated animals it doesn't bode well.

Couple that with the realization many hunters have come to that their Bonus/Preference Points will not guarantee them a Sheep tag within their Lifetime, they have looked at buying one. Furthermore, the Baby Boom Generation is at the point of retiring and spending their money! Now add internet/Social media and the market is huge to selling off tags that previously no one knew were even available.

That's why Stone hunts have gone in$ane, No way for US citizens to get one other than BC/Yukon. Dall's have a sheer advantage of numbers and availability especially in AK that have kept it down for now but will go up since its the most economical for a hunter to get "A" sheep.

But I still think Deserts have peaked (not counting regular inflation) since they were so expensive for so long, and opportunities have increased, as compared to other sheep where opportunities have decreased.- Basic Supply and Demand.

I don’t know what you do for work in the LML but the cost of living down there is nuts.
If you have job opportunities that will increase your bank account, lower your cost of living and increase comfort of living I would look at that route.

Stop buying unnecessary shit.
Every pay cheque allocate a set amount or a percentage.
Drive an old vehicle that doesn’t require you to have a payment
Get a side hustle and put the money in to the sheep fund

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Stop buying unnecessary shit.
This. Crazy how many people who say they are cheap and "will never be able to afford that" also have 10 tikkas with 10 different scopes, buy a new bow every 3 years, buying the new Valo pattern when they had everything in Vias or Verde.......plenty of people could go on a sheep hunt if they wanted to.

The point above about making 300K instead of 50K is dead on though.......I know a guy who goes on 2-3 archery sheep hunts in BC/NWT/Alberta every year. He doesn't care if gets one or not because there always more next year......I'm guessing he brings in over a million/year and probably has 20-30 million in the bank.