BuffaloBore 30-06 168 gr Barnes TTSX for moose?

OXN939

WKR
Killed a Nilgai with an '06 shooting factory 168 grain TSX ammo last year. If it does the trick on one of those, it's plenty for Moose.

Attachments

• 20200316_122547.jpg
    20200316_122547.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 52
Wouldn’t think twice, as long as it’s acceptably accurate.

Shoot. Have you seen the size of a moose? Anything more accurate than a slingshot will do the trick.

I’ve used 175 Barnes from a 30-06 on a couple moose. They are identical in every way to the 168 except for the boat tail length. I have a preference for lead bullets in that caliber, but they seemed to work.

slvrslngr

WKR
Shoot. Have you seen the size of a moose? Anything more accurate than a slingshot will do the trick.

I’ve used 175 Barnes from a 30-06 on a couple moose. They are identical in every way to the 168 except for the boat tail length. I have a preference for lead bullets in that caliber, but they seemed to work.
Well, yes, this is perfectly true! And yes, I’ve seen a moose up close, killed one at about 30 yds with an -06 and some 180gr Core-locts. It didn’t bounce off! 🤣

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well, yes, this is perfectly true! And yes, I’ve seen a moose up close, killed one at about 30 yds with an -06 and some 180gr Core-locts. It didn’t bounce off! 🤣

My first couple were killed with some affordable 180g rounds too. I can’t remember but I think it was just blue box federal power points or whatever they are called.

TheGDog

WKR
My first buck (My avatar) was shot with a .308 Win with the 168 gr TTSX VOR-TX factory loaded ammo. On that modest, approx 140-150 Lbs Buck.. the entry wound at 40yds had like a 6-inch circle of bloodshot! WAY overkill for that buck!

Easily blew right thru. Shot was a little high and back, and he went right down... kicked only with his fronts. Pretty sure the radius of the shockwave likely took out his spine, since the shot was a little high and back, so the back legs no longer worked.

Use with confidence.

EDIT: Also one of the most accurate rounds I've used in that rifle to date.

I took a nice bull with a 168gr ttsx from an '06 last year near Delta. There was full penetration from about 190 yards. The bullet stopped just under the hide on the opposite side.

Laramie

WKR
They work but I'm not a fan in 30-06 factory loads. Given a choice for moose, I would prefer 180 grain accubonds.

MTNBOYJD

FNG
I'll share my experience with the TTSX 180grn 30 cal. 300 winmag. Shot a bull elk at 200 yards. He didn't even flinch on the 1st shot, started walking after the 2nd. Gave him a 3rd, all in the boiler room. He ran over the hill about 150 yards and was still on his feet. He tipped over finally. The bullets did not expand. I've shot a couple with the original Barnes X bullet in a 30-06. 1 bull dropped like a sack of hammers, a cow took 3 through the ribs. They work fine if you hit some bone. I've switched to Accubonds.

I'll share my experience with the TTSX 180grn 30 cal. 300 winmag. Shot a bull elk at 200 yards. He didn't even flinch on the 1st shot, started walking after the 2nd. Gave him a 3rd, all in the boiler room. He ran over the hill about 150 yards and was still on his feet. He tipped over finally. The bullets did not expand. I've shot a couple with the original Barnes X bullet in a 30-06. 1 bull dropped like a sack of hammers, a cow took 3 through the ribs. They work fine if you hit some bone. I've switched to Accubonds.
Dang. 300wm and 180 TTSX is what I’m taking next fall. Hate to hear stories like this. Every animal is different though. I guess if he’s still on his feet and there’s a shot opportunity it’s best to keep unloading.

Laramie

WKR
I believe everyone should understand something. The push to create bullets like the GMX and TTSX are to eliminate lead offerings. Some countries have made lead bullets illegal and some states have either already done it or are trying to. It is NOT because they work better.

I personally will be shooting lead until I can't.

I believe everyone should understand something. The push to create bullets like the GMX and TTSX are to eliminate lead offerings. Some countries have made lead bullets illegal and some states have either already done it or are trying to. It is NOT because they work better.

I personally will be shooting lead until I can't.

Sure are a lot of solid copper fans out there, but I can’t argue with your stance on the matter.

Laramie

WKR
Sure are a lot of solid copper fans out there, but I can’t argue with your stance on the matter.
I would agree- it has been a huge marketing success. Hunters and outdoorsmen are suckers for the next best thing and bullet manufacturers know there is a race to develop the best all copper offerings- because they will be required eventually. If they can garner enough support now, they will be the leaders down the road when lead offerings are forced out. Kind of like the electric/hybrid vehicles- they aren't making them because they want to or because they work better. It is out of necessity.

I would agree- it has been a huge marketing success. Hunters and outdoorsmen are suckers for the next best thing and bullet manufacturers know there is a race to develop the best all copper offerings- because they will be required eventually. If they can garner enough support now, they will be the leaders down the road when lead offerings are forced out. Kind of like the electric/hybrid vehicles- they aren't making them because they want to or because they work better. It is out of necessity.
Again, sound logic. But haven’t there been solid copper bullets on the market prior to any lead outlaws? I could be wrong.

Also, Seems like there is something to be said for the weight retention aspect of things. A nice bit of insurance should an errant shot hit large bone. I don’t know… maybe I feel victim of marketing hype. Too late now… gun shoots my 180 tttsx pretty well and I’ve got 5 boxes at 2021 prices, so I’m committed. If able to connect with a moose next year hopefully he doesn’t make it too far.

Were you able to keep eyes on yours for a lot of that 100 yards he went, or was there decent blood to trail?

Laramie

WKR
Again, sound logic. But haven’t there been solid copper bullets on the market prior to any lead outlaws? I could be wrong.

Also, Seems like there is something to be said for the weight retention aspect of things. A nice bit of insurance should an errant shot hit large bone. I don’t know… maybe I feel victim of marketing hype. Too late now… gun shoots my 180 tttsx pretty well and I’ve got 5 boxes at 2021 prices, so I’m committed. If able to connect with a moose next year hopefully he doesn’t make it too far.

Were you able to keep eyes on yours for a lot of that 100 yards he went, or was there decent blood to trail?
My terminal research through the years while guiding and hunting has shown me that bonded lead bullets just flat hit harder and penetrate as well if not batter than copper. I haven't done gelatin studies or anything of the kind, but I have been a part of a pile of kills since the mid 80s. Your last comment has me confused with another poster above. I did try all copper on one deer and one elk. Both died but I didn't care for animal reaction when compared to reactions from similar weighted bonded lead bullets.

Your copper will absolutely kill. Hit him in the lungs until he is one the ground and you will be fine.

My first moose was killed with a 168 grain Barnes TTSX, shot from a 300 WM, loaded by Buffalo Bore. The shot was 50 yards. The bull took 3 steps, stood for about 5 seconds, then tipped over. Wait for a broadside shot, put it in the lungs, you’ll be happy.