Bug Netting/Bivy

dotman

WKR
It was touching but didn't bother me. Hell I could sleep with pine needles in my face though, so it wasn't an issue. My biggest issue is the chest zip is a pain, wish it was a side zip which I think can be requested.

OP
Backpack Hunter
I have been using the same one, but the netting on my face bugs me. I might string a paracord line down the center and tie off to it.
I didn't know you could request the side zip....that would have been nice.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will be watching this thread, as floorless may be an option for me in the nearer than I though future....

dotman

WKR
I have been using the same one, but the netting on my face bugs me. I might string a paracord line down the center and tie off to it.
I didn't know you could request the side zip....that would have been nice.

I'm not 100% but I think he will take special requests, I think the paracord could help but also create new issues.

bbrown

WKR
My TI Goat Ptarmigan bivy has the loop in the mesh to tie it up but I was always worried if I rolled I might rip it out. I used a chunk of pex piping and some extra elbows I had laying around and built a hoop that fits inside and keeps the netting or bivy for that matter off my face. I have not used it much yet and its not really that light (@8oz) but it would work if its a deal breaker for you.

Once you accept the mesh touching your face you get used to it pretty quickly but it did bug me at first.

sk1

WKR
but if bug mesh is touching your face, doesnt that mean skeeters could bite you? would think that would be a deal breaker....

Patrick told me awhile back that he was working in nests.I think its on the back burner right now but that could change with enough requests
Tim

dotman

WKR
It probably will create some new issues especially as much as I move while sleeping.
Maybe a short thin carbon tent pole to make a "hoop" over the face area would work.

That probably would be an easy fix, you can then secures it to the mesh with zip ties. I toss around a bunch and am usually too tired to care but that would be pretty simple. I like this idea better then the paracord.

TJ

WKR
Patrick told me awhile back that he was working in nests.I think its on the back burner right now but that could change with enough requests
Tim

This is something I've been hoping Kifaru would offer. I'll need to keep track of this one!

I use a ti-goat bivy under my para-tarp. The netting you just kinda get used to. I could probably get away with no bivy sack at all just a ti-vek ground tarp. In the area I hunt we usually don't have many bugs, but it's just one of those things I don't want any creepy crawlers around me.

OP
Backpack Hunter
I use a ti-goat bivy under my para-tarp. The netting you just kinda get used to. I could probably get away with no bivy sack at all just a ti-vek ground tarp. In the area I hunt we usually don't have many bugs, but it's just one of those things I don't want any creepy crawlers around me.

This is really the first time I have used any kind of bivy under a tarp. I'm going to be in some areas this year with a lot of mosquitoes (so I hear) so I figured I should try getting used to it.....so far I prefer it without, but I don't have any mosquitoes flying around right now either.

dotman

WKR
This is really the first time I have used any kind of bivy under a tarp. I'm going to be in some areas this year with a lot of mosquitoes (so I hear) so I figured I should try getting used to it.....so far I prefer it without, but I don't have any mosquitoes flying around right now either.

I like it for the bug protection, some nasty bugs here in the Midwest and protection it gives my bag. It is a pain to use but I guess it is worth it at times. So far I have had zero need for it in the mountains but come Sep they are not as bad as they are in Aug. Two years ago I would have been very happy to have one in CO.