Bugle report

541hunter

WKR
Heard my first bugle of the year this afternoon in Western Oregon. We have been in elk everyday we have been out despite the silence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Had them going at 11.5K in CO Thursday and Friday. Called in two rags to 20 yards a yearling cow as well. The big boys had a few cows and were bugling but not challenging yet. Did see two play the mirror game for a few minutes then split off with a few cows each. Hoping the cold snap fires them into full rut later this week.

hobbes

WKR
Got on two separate bugling bulls Saturday morning. The first started at daylight and had cows for sure, but wasn't interested in leaving them to check us out. The second started slow responding to a bugle around 10:00 AM (maybe bedded) then picked it up complete with some really pissed off bugles. I thought he was coming once he got up, but he decided against it. My son was out front both times, and thought the second was walking in. Pretty good opener considering how hot it got.

This morning wasn't as good (it hit 90 yesterday), but heard one bull bugle once just before daylight. Heard a second bugle once around 8:30 (same bull from late morning yesterday). He bugled at a cow that we busted as she made racket moving away from us.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
@sneaky you are absolutely right the length of day triggers cows estrus cycles, which in turn triggers the rut. There is a consensus among biologists that there are four estrus cycles with the bulk of cows coming into estrus on the the fall equinox. The 2 weeks before and after will also have cows coming into estrus.

Cold weather does encourage the elk to be more active though, and I believe the hot weather and full moon certainly contributed to the lack of daytime exuberance in my particular location. Again, in my limited experience...

jmav58

WKR
Had 2 bulls come in opening morning. Shot the nice 6 at 43.....tracked him for 2.5 miles and couldn't turn him up.

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone hear anything up near Southern Colo (78/81) or around Chama ? Some snow expected in the Mountains.
Haven’t heard a bugle at all. Called in two spikes that came in silent and a 6pt came in this morning silent to cold calling dark timber. Came off the mountain for the evening to see what this weather does. Spoke to a Forest service agent who was trying to get people to come down and hikers out and told me they’re expecting 12-21” in the high country

rclouse79

WKR
Had some interesting barking/ chuckles last night and this morning. Two different bulls, not alarm barks seemed more social. Cows coming into cow talk as well. Super light all night with the moon and hot. In ID.
Heard something similar to what you described for the first time this weekend in idaho. That was the only bull I heard and it was unsolicited. I hiked all over the place and bugled with no response. Maybe it was just my calling skills, because I saw a father and son carrying out their bull they had called in with a cow call. They said he was talking.

mwebs

WKR
Had some bugling yesterday, couple bulls, nothing to excited. Got into a group of rags and they were sparing and mewing... Which I thought was interesting, no cows around.

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
Eastern OR- Bulls going off day before opening day. Hot weather, wind, wolves, and circus of hunters shut them up real fast

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Had a bull hung up at 60 yards for about 40 minutes. Called a cow into 10 yards, she came sprinting down the hill to us. Afterwards we had a guy bugling below us and a bull doing some kind of grunt/chuckle. Their interested but not fired up yet.