Bugle report

Laramie

WKR
They are going full rut right now... The last few days have seen a huge uptick in activity.

mwebs

WKR
I would say it has been quieter than normal where were stomping around. Still got a bull going and came in twice yesterday, just not able to seal the deal. Seems to be my story this year. I have also heard Wyoming is loud though, bummer I'm hunting ID haha.

Yesterday was the craziest day in the mountains that's I have had... Non stop bugles dawn till dusk. Called a satellite in from 600 yards on a line. You could squeak with your mouth and something would scream at you.

Dead silent this morning .. tho to be fair I think 2 or 3 herd bulls had enough with each other and took their cows and left.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
Not a peep for me this morning but I was not into any fresh sign. I moved locations for a change of scenery and was late. (I do much better from camp than trying to leave a nice warm bed at home with my wife) Two guys were climbing up and over into where I had planned to hunt as I parked. I checked with them to see where they were headed so I didn't interfere since they were there first. I went the other way and was somewhat limited so hunted until noon and came out. I'll have to burn more comp time next week unless I fill a tag this weekend.

Ten Bears

WKR
Came into town for a shower and to get onx to work. NE of Santa Fe has been eerily quiet. Camped back in 6 miles and only hearing a few bugles in the middle of the night. Nothing at all during the day. I have a week left on the tag so hopefully it gets good soon. Keep at it.

BigDog00

WKR
I drew a good tag in WY this year and I haven't heard a peep. This morning glassed up a group of 8 bulls. Its been windy so I thought maybe they were talking I just couldn't hear them, but yesterday was calm and I was on a ridge that I could hear 360 deg and I heard nothing. I cant believe it.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They are on! Definitely on! Rag at 10 yards and a small 6x6 at 50. 5 minutes apart, 80 yards from one another. 2 other bulls bugling to us. Little 6 came from over 1/2 mile away. We glassed him up and brought him in on a string. We’re only cow calling.

Not too many of them are bugling, lots and lots of chuckling.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
They just started firing up last night here in Pine, AZ. I heard 4 bulls bugling like crazy. Went out to a meadow and a nice 5x5 and 6x6 were bugling back and forth really aggressively. It was after shooting hours and I am already tagged out but this was promising for the upcoming week's hunters.

ridgefire

WKR
Opening day in Eastern Washington was a bugle fest for me. I have been in Central Idaho since Sunday and real sporadic bugling. I talked to a few people that were hunting other areas in Central Idaho and it sounds like their was almost zero bugling. Hopefully they fire up with this cooler weather.

First time elk hunter here. It’s dead quiet in the north Bridgers in Montana today. I found old beds with droppings that look like they were from the spring, plus a couple more recent ones, but there is zero fresh sign.

It seems like there aren’t any elk here and there haven’t been any for a while. I’m just trying to find any legal elk for meat – bull, cow, calf doesn’t matter. That being the case, should I sit it out or move to a different area? I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing, so any advice would be appreciated. I don’t know if I’m hunting too high or low, or if there are even elk in the area. Also, does the presence of moo cows on grazing permits tend to push elk out of the area? There are tons of moo cow beds but no cows to be seen either—just two spike muleys I ran into at 8 yards 😂

Gerbdog

WKR
First time elk hunter here. It’s dead quiet in the north Bridgers in Montana today. I found old beds with droppings that look like they were from the spring, plus a couple more recent ones, but there is zero fresh sign.

It seems like there aren’t any elk here and there haven’t been any for a while. I’m just trying to find any legal elk for meat – bull, cow, calf doesn’t matter. That being the case, should I sit it out or move to a different area? I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing, so any advice would be appreciated. I don’t know if I’m hunting too high or low, or if there are even elk in the area. Also, does the presence of moo cows on grazing permits tend to push elk out of the area? There are tons of moo cow beds but no cows to be seen either—just two spike muleys I ran into at 8 yards 😂
For the moo cows... everyone has an opinion, I was successful this year and was listening to moo cows down in the valley the whole time. If I were you i'd get moving. Move until you find an elk that bugles back or you find fresh fresh sign. Waiting for elk to move into an area they haven't been in awhile isn't a very productive strategy. Going high is usually a good bet

4rcgoat

WKR
Glassed up 5 bulls this morning, 2 of them sparred for a minute before continuing to feed,slowly moving into the timber. No bugles,no cows.

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been quiet and very slow in the Big Snowys in Montana. Very little bugling. Hopefully this rain/cool front picks things up.