Bugle sound THICK timber

Humor me, because I am far from the elk whisperer status.

Short version;
THICK timber, how far can elk hear bugles and you hear them?

Covid is boring version;

I took a stroll during rifle season into a spot where I found a big 6 point shed a few years ago, no one hunts it. It is thick, nasty, steep, shit load of deadfall/blow downs. I went in there mid day to look around. I happen to jump 2 pretty nice bulls, found several wallows, found lots of cool things that make grown men giggle while hunting.

There is zero hunting pressure in there, no hikers, campers, ect. Never seen a wolf anywhere near there as well, just some fat black bears and a kitty that made me very uncomfortable.

I plan to archery hunt this area next year, and it brought up the question... In thick dark timber, assuming a bull is screaming all out, how far would this sound travel? The closest another hunter would be is maybe .75 of a mile, but that's very very unlikely and I've never seen anyone go far back in that hell hole.

How far away can I expect to hear a bull scream? How far away could they hear me location bugle?

It's more of a ground blind spot for sure, but I like chasing bugles like everyone.

I know this varies, but I've only heard october bugles in not as thick country and damn, they're loud.

Thanks👍

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have line of sight good hearing and simply thick brush timber it will carry a long ways let’s say .5 miles or more...if you lose line of sight and a ridge or some other obstacle is in the way may only be a couple hundred yards......they can hear your bugle maybe 3 times the distance you hear them.....never asked a bull but it has gotten many killed from a long ways off and them responding.....I heard this bull from ,5 mile away in dense fog and super thick brush and never saw him till he popped out at spitting distance with me waiting🤙 As I recall 3rd day of season Idaho 2013 10/12.....had him on cam two weeks prior half mile away....a lot will be contingent on the bulls bugle type high or low pitched

Attachments

• 378107B1-8E3C-4B52-A17C-6EC24F734F7C.jpeg
    378107B1-8E3C-4B52-A17C-6EC24F734F7C.jpeg
    914.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 38CC84FC-5EAE-43A6-9662-36BF1D298A87.jpeg
    38CC84FC-5EAE-43A6-9662-36BF1D298A87.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 75
OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
If you have line of sight good hearing and simply thick brush timber it will carry a long ways let’s say .5 miles or more...if you lose line of sight and a ridge or some other obstacle is in the way may only be a couple hundred yards......they can hear your bugle maybe 3 times the distance you hear them.....never asked a bull but it has gotten many killed from a long ways off and them responding.....I heard this bull from ,5 mile away in dense fog and super thick brush and never saw him till he popped out at spitting distance with me waiting🤙 As I recall 3rd day of season Idaho 2013 10/12.....had him on cam two weeks prior half mile away....a lot will be contingent on the bulls bugle type high or low pitched
That's good enough for me, thanks for the reply. I didn't think it would carry very far at all so I appreciate it.

Beautiful bull too, I love the color of the rack. Idaho is a bitch to hunt😁

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
The coloration racks of north Idaho and nwest Montana are unmatched and yes they are a bitch to hunt😂🤙
Getting that color comes with a steep price though, fortunately that keeps a lot of people away so they can all clog up southern Id😂

Humor me, because I am far from the elk whisperer status.

Short version;
THICK timber, how far can elk hear bugles and you hear them?

Covid is boring version;

I took a stroll during rifle season into a spot where I found a big 6 point shed a few years ago, no one hunts it. It is thick, nasty, steep, shit load of deadfall/blow downs. I went in there mid day to look around. I happen to jump 2 pretty nice bulls, found several wallows, found lots of cool things that make grown men giggle while hunting.

There is zero hunting pressure in there, no hikers, campers, ect. Never seen a wolf anywhere near there as well, just some fat black bears and a kitty that made me very uncomfortable.

I plan to archery hunt this area next year, and it brought up the question... In thick dark timber, assuming a bull is screaming all out, how far would this sound travel? The closest another hunter would be is maybe .75 of a mile, but that's very very unlikely and I've never seen anyone go far back in that hell hole.

How far away can I expect to hear a bull scream? How far away could they hear me location bugle?

It's more of a ground blind spot for sure, but I like chasing bugles like everyone.

I know this varies, but I've only heard october bugles in not as thick country and damn, they're loud.

Thanks👍
depends on how thick, terrain, and your elevation vs the bull's... sometimes .5 miles, sometimes you can't hear one 250yds away. if you are above, you can hear better, but then drop in on him and you can lose him again.... really plot your course, be patient, and try to get a solid bead on him before going after him.

again, at same elevation or below the bull in thick stuff, all it takes is a little finger ridge between you and the bull and you can't hear him.... sometimes you need to bugle an annoying amount just to relocate when you make a move on him.... every little finger draw until you relocate, and don't get in a hurry and compromise your wind

Coues123

FNG
Direction he is facing will also play a role. If you're ever lucky enough to have one bugle about 6 feet away from you looking into the same tree your standing in, then turn 180 and bugle it will make you a believer.