Bugles - Flathead Valley MT

matthewmt

WKR
I heard guys were getting some responses west of kalispell.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I heard quite a few people hearing them west of town. My cousin lives out there and hears them from his house

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

matthewmt

WKR
Fires popped up in a handful of spots over the weekned as well. Im planning on heading that way fri.

matthewmt

WKR
Fires in the fisher River area, lower thompson, happys inn etc.

matthewmt

WKR
Sounds like one in p.valley was 60% contained as yesterday. Not sure on the others and the p.valley (over 100 acres) was not listed on inci web so not sure if the others are either.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
We ran into DNRC out there and asked them if there were any local fires and they said none and all the smoke isbcoming from out of state. You guys get out and hear anything? It was rough for us didnt hear nuch to write home about. Did call in a pretty crappy caller but that was about it and it was insane hot yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

matthewmt

WKR
Man im itching to get out. Ended up working on my truck this weekend, was planning on hunting today but the smoke rolled in last evening I figured it mite not be to healthy. Was planning on riding my bike in to some country but will have to wait til Friday.
Moon phase looks amazing in the coming days.

I had a buddy bike in and said he saw 4 bulls with cows opening day.

I also found an article on the fires reported after labor day, i believe there were 4-5 west of kalispell. If i can find it again ill post.

WPFY543

FNG
Spent the last 3 days in the MT elk woods. Only heard one bugle when he responded to my cow call - darn thing was about 20 feet away from me and I nearly had to change my pants. Other than that... not a bugle.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
We were out friday saturday and sunday and only hunters. I know from what i heard earlier in the week they were going nuts in different parts of mt. Had a buddy down in lima and they were going nuts the smoke rolled in and the woods went ghost.

matthewmt

WKR
Anyone been out this week? This smoke has been awful. Hoping the rain expected Sunday clears things up a bit.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
havent been out this week but have gotten some pics of bulls down near helena. The smoke has been awful and of course work is getting in the way. I am hoping to get out this weekend but will see how that works out with the boss :( It looks like its supposed to cool down some as well and hopefully clear like you said. I was listening to a podcast with corey jacobson and he was under the impression that the smoke doesnt effect the elk. But from what I saw last weekend it sure felt like it. It seems like it messes with there smeller at least that is what my theory is and they arent as vocal. Or could be this heat has slowed them down some with getting busy...hard to say.

matthewmt

WKR
I saw some others mentioned heat will keep them less active. Could be covid related too at any rate, ive only been out to glass with the spotter labor day for a few hours so im itching to get out.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah i know that heat can do stuff but then i look at the bulls over in the breaks or places like new mexico that are going crazy in the heat. Must be the COVID like you said and they are practicing social distancing.

matthewmt

WKR
A buddy ran in to 4 bulls he said and one of them was a monster which was confirmed by another resident in the area all with cows on opening day. I'm just hoping my truck is fixed by tomorrow so I can get out this weekend.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah i heard opening some areas were nuts have a friend somewhere down the swan that got one opening and there were 10 bulls screaming their he as ds off and got one to peel off and came into 20 and his wife got it. Had heard similar reports in other parts of montana as well.

MT_Nate

FNG
Hunted in the Swan this am. Looks like the fun finally arrived...

No bugling going on until I ripped a lip bawl at 8am and 3 bulls didn't stop for 2.5 hours. Cow calls would shut them up though...so I would have to restart them with a lip bawl and the chorus started all over again. Wind was super shifty and it was thick...they were freight-training across a drainage and I couldn't get close enough to them to make an in-your-face challenge be fruitful. Should be a fun, wet weekend.