Bugles - Flathead Valley MT

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
I agree i think its finally starting...had a bull going yesterday and wasnt able to seal the deal but was best interaction so far. Hunting partner was out solo this morning and chased a few around. Nothing going off on there own good yet but the one we chased yesterday bugled once and tipped us off he was there so was able to make a hunt of it. This weather is definitely helping and about time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

matthewmt

WKR
I'm heading out shortly for an overnight to hunt tomorrow etc so hopefully this weather has them moving around

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
We will be out over the weekend hopefully depending on weather...if wind is howling
Might call it a short weekend.

MT_Nate

FNG
I was out yesterday afternoon into the evening in the Swan. Checked a couple of cams, and had a lone mature bull show up recently - no cows. Did some post-dark bugling on my hike back out. I was sure with the light rain, overall darkness from deep overcast in the mountains, etc. that I would have at least heard one fire off somewhere...but nothing. If it truly gets as windy and wet as they're talking tonight and Saturday, I bet the calm and clear morning coming out of it (looking to be Sunday) will trigger some good activity.

Last edited:

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
I was out in the swan today too, heard nothing. Would you mind sharing what elevation your cameras are?

matthewmt

WKR
One bull was super vocal sat morning but he was safe on his no hunting ground. A group of hunters bugled back and forth with him for quite a while from public hunting. Finally got a glimpse of him in the fog and he was a smaller bull but none the less we figured it was a lost cause trying to pull him from his cows where he would have to cross a couple hundred yards if not twice that through an open meadow.
After that no more calls other than hunters here and there but windy and rainy at times.

Hope you guys got into something. frustrating a bit, Road bikes up higher to get away from hunters and into thicker country and nothing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sitting on a mountainside southwest of town in disgust after getting busted by a nice 6 point that came in absolutely silent. 10 days in the woods this year and I’ve only heard one very faint bugle this year. The are I’ve been hunting is loaded with lions.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Would rather be sitting in disgust in the elk woods then sitting here in the office wishing i was in the elk woods...were you calling that he came in silent on you? If co cow calling or bugling...either way annoying since obviously near by and didnt vovalize doesnt boad well for them picking up their talking.

I was quietly cow calling when he came in. Didn’t see him at first but he was likely within 20 yards when I heard him moving through the brush. Then he hung up and wouldn’t come any closer. I had the wind in my face so I started moving thirds him and he bumped a couple times then I saw him cross an opening at a trot about 60 yards away.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Bummer...sounds fun though nothing like getting a bull in close. Sounds like you experience has been similar to alotnof us though. Bugle interactions have been scarce.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah i have been some rumbles of that as well but cant confirm as i gave bot been out there nor know anyone personally that has heard anything. I sure hope so though...i have a really hard time taking my bow for a walk hoping to get lucky...would much rather have heard something and walk in and not see it then stumble around but am sure that is the case for all of us its why we bow hunt.

MT_Nate

FNG
Thanks for posting your experience goodgrouper. I was planning to sneak out to one of my spots in the Swans this afternoon hoping there may actually be a little action brewing. I'm a little more excited to go now.