Bugling at Night to Locate Bulls?

sargent

WKR
Does anyone blow a bugle tube at night to locate bulls to hunt during shooting hours? If so, when do you do it? Just after dark, just before light, or are you literally waking up in the middle of the night, hiking ridges and looking for a bull that will sound off? I'm thinking of trying this technique this fall on an early October hunt. Any advice on how to make it work would be appreciated.

ElkNut1

WKR
I used to get up at all hours of the night or right after night fall & bugle to locate bulls. These days I prefer leaving camp an hour before light to well after daylight to locate. I've done this for 30+ years, it works well & gives me a good starting point when having difficulty locating vocal bulls during my Running & Gunning style during daylight hours. Findem, huntem, killem!

ElkNut

Doghed

WKR
I would not be bugling (or any calling) in the middle of the night if I was hunting. What if he comes to you? There is nothing you can do and he will eventually get your wind and disappear.

If I'm not hunting then I will go out and have fun. Talk to them and try to learn and gain experience. What a thrill and privilege

Last edited:

Gapmaster

WKR
I don’t see what bugling at night would hurt... it’s not like you’re gonna setup on the bull and start working him. 1 location bugle off a few different listening post isn’t gonna blow out your area. Do what works for you.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried all times of the night with great success. Works especially well when you can drive, pull over, shut your vehicle off, bugle, drive a couple miles, rise and repeat.

shayes11

FNG
Do it every year. They're way more willing to answer locate bugles all throughout the night in my experience. No specific time frame really. I just drive roads, shut off the truck or side by side, let things cool off for a few minutes then rip a locate. When you get an answer in an area you're familiar with or looks accessible on the maps, I just pull over and sleep. Have a good idea where he'll be when you wake up.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have found some amazing hunting spots doing this. After I hear a bull I go home and get on my maps. What is it the elk like about this area. I found an area that is next to the road, I mean within 500 yds. that has never failed me. I am into elk every year and never seen another hunter. There is nothing, driving by, that would look promising.

I've tried all times of the night with great success. Works especially well when you can drive, pull over, shut your vehicle off, bugle, drive a couple miles, rise and repeat.
yep, that's how i have done it, and it works well. i have also started in with an area in mind at 2:30 or 3AM, and bugle my way there... if i am at a loss for finding elk, i'll do what i need to so i have something to hunt. i will bugle once, if i get answered, that's it unless it's too far away to get a good bead on him, if that's the case, i'll try to get him to fire off again to get a better idea.

if he's close enough to have a good idea of his location, no reason to bugle again.... a little common sense makes bugling at night low impact, and a good way to figure out a starting point the next day.

i don't do a lot of it, i don't get enough sleep as it is in Sept, but i'll do it if i need to, and it 100% works.

it always sounds like a good idea pre season, but then when the time comes, after 10 long days of chasing elk (or 20) and you are a little beat up, staying up until midnight or getting up at 2 or 3am doesn't sound like as good of an idea when already dealing with sleep depravation and fatigue from the hunting leading up to that.

it's something i always keep in the back pocket, and hope the season goes good enough i don't need to take it out of my back pocket.

i may do it more if i was hunting an unfamiliar area

Archellon

FNG
I used to get up at all hours of the night or right after night fall & bugle to locate bulls. These days I prefer leaving camp an hour before light to well after daylight to locate. I've done this for 30+ years, it works well & gives me a good starting point when having difficulty locating vocal bulls during my Running & Gunning style during daylight hours. Findem, huntem, killem!

ElkNut

Thanks for the insight Paul. It is a strategy that I have considered but never tried.