Bugling From Road Question

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you that drive then bugle from the roads to locate elk what exactly do you do?

People make it sound like they stop, open the door, bugle, then roll on if there's no response, but I'm imagining that you'd want to stop and turn the truck off for a few min, then bugle and wait a few min?

I've found a few elk so far and had a small bull come in from across a meadow to my calls but he was downwind. I'm not hearing much during the day so curious to try it as this trip is mainly scouting for when I come back in 2 weeks. Not that elk I find now will be in the same spots but so far found 2 good areas and don't want to hit them again tomorrow so interested in trying to locate some more elk.

Thanks!
Might try and go out 2-3hrs before daylight,walk off road a couple hundred yards and let out bugle. If your area sees a lot of pressure sometimes that few hundred yards makes the difference. It's kinda like a shock gobble on a turkey. The same bull that will keep his lips sealed at 8am can't help it in the dark.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Might try and go out 2-3hrs before daylight,walk off road a couple hundred yards and let out bugle. If your area sees a lot of pressure sometimes that few hundred yards makes the difference. It's kinda like a shock gobble on a turkey. The same bull that will keep his lips sealed at 8am can't help it in the dark.

You just described the exact behavior I'm talking about. Elk near roads have learned from the dipshits calling from the roads/their trucks. Sure, they might make bugle during the safety of dark, but at light they are thinking about all the dipshits they have heard on or near the road and are not going to be that stupid.

JFYI elk in roadless areas don't shut up at 8am.

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
You are exactly right. I don't road bugle for that reason,most of my Elk HUNTS are in backpack in areas. I was REFERRING to walking down a log road or something else. But I have hunted enough to know that pressured elk tend to be less vocal during daylight,or at least in my experience. JFYI the Op wasn't referring to roadless areas I don't believe hence the question on Road bugling. I don't stop on the gravel roads and bang on a crow call or owl hooter during turkey season either.

ElkNut1

WKR
Versatility as an elk hunter is very important to me for yearly success as an archery or rifle hunter. This is especially so since I hunt OTC DIY elk every year. The more Tactics I have at my disposal such as Glassing open country, Spot & Stalk, Ambushing, Tresstand/Ground blind on Trails or destination spots, Calling, etc. I've noticed over the years that being one dimensional can really handcuff me when in the midst of a variety of encounters so I want to be able to adapt no matter the situation I'm faced with.

Calling from roads is just another option NOT the only option. Keeping an open mind & hunting/calling smart can be the key to ones consistent success! I will do whatever it takes to give me the upper hand in putting an elk on the ground!

ElkNut

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
To the OP... you watching how the "road bugling" is working out for the BRO guys this season? I love those guys as an OR native, but that as a tactic is such a low percentage play.

I can remember a few years ago in WY with my dad. We walked out about a 1/2 mile onto an open ridge with an open atv trail on it. Waited until it was close to light before making any noise. About then a SxS came motoring up and looked at as as if we were sooo stupid for walking up there. After they motored on, we waited 5 minutes then let out a bugle. 5 minutes later I called a 320+ bull into my dad. All the while the motor heads had no idea :)

The point? Elk are not f-ing stupi! They might answer a truck, but they know you are a f-ing trucK!

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
To the OP... you watching how the "road bugling" is working out for the BRO guys this season? I love those guys as an OR native, but that as a tactic is such a low percentage play.

I can remember a few years ago in WY with my dad. We walked out about a 1/2 mile onto an open ridge with an open atv trail on it. Waited until it was close to light before making any noise. About then a SxS came motoring up and looked at as as if we were sooo stupid for walking up there. After they motored on, we waited 5 minutes then let out a bugle. 5 minutes later I called a 320+ bull into my dad. All the while the motor heads had no idea :)

The point? Elk are not f-ing stupi! They might answer a truck, but they know you are a f-ing trucK!

I've only seen one of their videos so can't say how it's going for them.

That was the basis for the question though. I hear lots about it but was kinda skeptical. Like anything I expect mixed results. I definitely don't expect them to come to the truck but announcing where they are would be nice :lol:

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
I've only seen one of their videos so can't say how it's going for them.

That was the basis for the question though. I hear lots about it but was kinda skeptical. Like anything I expect mixed results. I definitely don't expect them to come to the truck but announcing where they are would be nice :lol:
Well... that's the point of what I'm trying to tell you. Would you rather hear them or kill them? Lots of bulls will respond to a noise kinda like a turkey shock gobble. But... that doesn't mean you're going to kill them. I've even seen where elk know you're a human just because you're bugling from a pack trail 4 miles deep! They not only know where roads are they also know where humans use trails regularly. Be an elk and you'll kill bulls. Be a lazy human and you'll be stuck in the 90%!