Bugling in late October

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone Else watched bulls bugle very late into October? I've killed elk early rifle season that were still bugling and in rutting behavior in early October, but last year while hunting a nasty blow down timber area I was going after a band of bulls I'd spotted early in the day and I was listening to them bugling just like it was Sept and this was very very late October with no cows I knew of near by. I haven't hunted elk an extremely long time only 12 years and know they can be very vocal animals but I've never seen that. How bout you guys?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
mtjimbo

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I took a Bull, a decent rag horn, in late October. Mainly he did himself in by not shutting up.
So interesting, I've had that happen early rifle but never late. When I saw the bulls I mentioned above it was only a day or 2 from November. Elk never cease to amaze me.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve taken several in late October chasing cows and very good bugling
pretty sure the 3rd estrus an intense short little window that can give you an opportunity october 27 2002 crystal clear and very cold this guy and a much bigger bull I had been chasing had a bugling match giving me a window finally🤩D75998C9-09D2-4249-A618-AFB571A7AE8C.jpeg

Last edited:

Tmac

WKR
Took a smallish 6x6 with his ladies 10/27 a couple seasons back. His bugles gave him away. All I had to do was cow call and he’d bugle. What I did notice on this hunt, which started 10/24, was the largest mature bulls pulled away from cows that week. I was chasing 3 mature bulls we’d prescouted, on the 26th we saw all 3 together with no cows on a refuge area. Possibly they were wore out and the satellites took over? No idea, but that’s what we experienced that hunt. It’s the only late Oct elk hunt I’ve done, all the others were either earlier or later, so it’s a small sample size of 1. My brother has the same tag this season, so we’ll see.

OP
mtjimbo

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Took a smallish 6x6 with his ladies 10/27 a couple seasons back. His bugles gave him away. All I had to do was cow call and he’d bugle. What I did notice on this hunt, which started 10/24, was the largest mature bulls pulled away from cows that week. I was chasing 3 mature bulls we’d prescouted, on the 26th we saw all 3 together with no cows on a refuge area. Possibly they were wore out and the satellites took over? No idea, but that’s what we experienced that hunt. It’s the only late Oct elk hunt I’ve done, all the others were either earlier or later, so it’s a small sample size of 1. My brother has the same tag this season, so we’ll see.
That makes sense to me. The bulls I saw bugling were mature and alone. Just 5 bulls and all of them bugling. Seemed odd to me with no cows that I could spot nearby

OP
mtjimbo

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve taken several in late October chasing cows and very good bugling
pretty sure the 3rd estrus an intense short little window that can give you an opportunity october 27 2002 crystal clear and very cold this guy and a much bigger bull I had been chasing had a bugling match giving me a window finallyView attachment 194288
That's a great bull!