Bugling yet?

whitingja

WKR
Hey, for anyone who has already hunted in colorado for elk, have you heard much bugling yet? Any signs of rut action? Has anyone hunted above 11500 feet and run into elk from the dry summer we had? Thanks

OP
W

whitingja

WKR
Where about you hunting in Wyoming Sreekers? I am in the Blackhall mtn area by Encampment. Good to hear they are atleast bugling a little.

ckleeves

WKR
Heard 3 bugles on Monday before light nothing to get excited about. Yesterday saw a bull following a cow around for quite awhile she wanted nothing to do with him at all. Today saw 2 bulls pushing each other around for awhile. All the other bulls we have seen are still in bachelor groups.

I was scouting for my muley muzzleloader tag this morning and saw a true 7*7 with about 15 cows. He was right at 11,000 ft. He probably bugled about 4 or 5 times throughout the morning. I bet he would go over 360". Funny I am normally hunting elk in this area during archery season and this year I am rifle hunting elk and see a bull like that during archery season. Go figure!

sk1

WKR
bulls bugled every morning and evening since august 19th where i was hunting, in the morning anywhere from 5 to 12ish bugles, and about half that in the evening

they sure were making more noise than im used to hearing this early

did find a decent 6pt bedded down with 3 cows, and all the bulls i saw were not in bachelor groups, they were alone or with cows

Just returned from three days in the Rabbit Ears Range. A lone 6x6 bull stepped out into the meadow at dusk near my bivy camp and bugled. Around 10,200 feet and close to water. I have a cow tag and was hoping he brought friends but no such luck.

bobhunts

WKR
Went up to 12400 ft to glass below last weekend and heard no bugles. Also saw only one cow above timberline Sunday morning while I took my game camera down. I'll be packing this three day weekend for my two week trip further north. And I never heard a bugle one. That was in the Sangres south.

Gman

WKR
Any more reports of amped up activity? I need some motivation to do a quick overnight solo mission. It won't take much, but need that extra little incentive!

OP
W

whitingja

WKR
Hunted up by Saratoga Wyoming this weekend. Heard 6 bugles, snuck up on one but too small. Got busted by a 6 point due to wind. It will get better

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
The first 3 days of the season we saw around 70 head of elk in the north west past of CO, many in shooting range, some too close to shoot - 5 yards, but that's a whole other story ;) The stars were not aligned for us but we'll get after em again.

I filmed our hunting pack of 4 hunters call in many bulls and cows, some bulls responded to us, gave away their location and we stalked our way closer. The bulls only responded to our calls, they did not initiate any calls that we heard.