Buh Bye OnX .... Hello GAIA!

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
Was looking at this the other day after reading the suggestions in this thread. Super awesome app with the exception of one thing: icons! As someone who hunts a large variety of different animals; it is beyond annoying to not have specific icons to quick-reference waypoints on the map :(
I just use one of the 10 different colored icons they offer. There are also probably 80 different symbols too.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I think it is a fair criticism of the icons. I would also prefer a better selection, especially for more common NA game animals.

I think Gaia’s may be using the standardized GPS set, which is limited.

NoWiser

WKR
I may have to give it a try. OnX was absolute garbage for me on my last hunt. Unacceptable for an app that automatically renews. I’ve been pretty happy with OnX for years, but if they expect me to just keep paying for their product, that product better be flawless. It wasn’t even close to that this fall. And whoever put that 3D icon where it is needs a slap. If you can’t use it offline, it needs to disappear in offline mode.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Was looking at this the other day after reading the suggestions in this thread. Super awesome app with the exception of one thing: icons! As someone who hunts a large variety of different animals; it is beyond annoying to not have specific icons to quick-reference waypoints on the map :(
I love the app but that is the one complaint I have is that I wish it had better and more hunting related icons. But it defiantly doesn't deter me from using it.

Erict

WKR
Remember, Gaia was not created as a hunting app. They do have 100 icons plus all numbers but even their "regular" users have complained quite a bit about not having a larger variety of icons and/or not being able to upload/use custom/user created icons. Keep your fingers crossed for that feature.....

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
I may have to give it a try. OnX was absolute garbage for me on my last hunt. Unacceptable for an app that automatically renews. I’ve been pretty happy with OnX for years, but if they expect me to just keep paying for their product, that product better be flawless. It wasn’t even close to that this fall. And whoever put that 3D icon where it is needs a slap. If you can’t use it offline, it needs to disappear in offline mode.

Committed Gaia user here. It needs to disappear if you choose so. I don't remember OnX offering that choice when I deleted it a couple years ago.

I haven't see this mentioned yet in this thread, but does OnX still force you to download in 1, 5 or 10 mile blocks? I always found this a kind of ridiculous limitation. When downloading maps for offline use, Gaia just lets you drag a rectangle of your chosen size over an area and reports how much memory that rectangle would use as you drag the edges before committing. Super simple and helpful.

Plus, who wants to see "Antelope" and flick through an alphabetical list of whatever every time they want to plop a waypoint? Is this still a thing?

I'm surprised OnX hasn't fixed the stuff they've had years to get done.

DBAshland

FNG
I've got the Gaia private land layer added and it displays on my map, but when I click on the landowner name shown on map, nothing happens - any tricks for getting landowner info other than name to display?

ElMuercielago

Lil-Rokslider
I just use one of the 10 different colored icons they offer. There are also probably 80 different symbols too.

I think that might be too much effort for my brain...if it doesn't have a picture of a hare/bear/buck/duck/etc...there is no way I'm going to remember :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

WyoKid

WKR
I am with you on this. Been through most of the navigation systems in very 40 years of outdoors - started with compass and map, got one of the first GPS units from Magellan and later versions to newer Garmins with OnX chips.. I transitioned completely to cellphone GPS apps 5 years ago. First stated out with OnX and just happened to come across Gaia GPS Maps when searching for an alternative that was cheaper and gave full US coverage and some international without having to pay additional fees for add on States.

Anyway, the last 2 years I transitioned solely to Gaia. Great product. Reasonable cost. Great customer service. Uses cutting edge AI technology and always adding features without raising the cost.

I know all the big names in hunting use OnX as they advertise heavily....but give Gaia a try.

I am with you on this. Been through most of the navigation systems in very 40 years of outdoors - started with compass and map, got one of the first GPS units from Magellan and later versions to newer Garmins with OnX chips.. I transitioned completely to cellphone GPS apps 5 years ago. First stated out with OnX and just happened to come across Gaia GPS Maps when searching for an alternative that was cheaper and gave full US coverage and some international without having to pay additional fees for add on States.

Anyway, the last 2 years I transitioned solely to Gaia. Great product. Reasonable cost. Great customer service. Uses cutting edge AI technology and always adding features without raising the cost.

I know all the big names in hunting use OnX as they advertise heavily....but give Gaia a try.
Agree with all the above, the number of layers offered b Gaia is unreal and works well for lots of my other hobbies as well as international travel.

WyoKid

WKR
I love the app but that is the one complaint I have is that I wish it had better and more hunting related icons. But it defiantly doesn't deter me from using it.
IMHO Gaia has a good variety of icons. I use the colored ones and sometimes the tent, Deer, Elk or Moose icon. To change them, go to the map view and directly touch the icon. Then tough the icon in the right upper corner and this menu pops up - allowing you to change the icon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224-101131.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-101131.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 39

WyoKid

WKR
How do you set up the direction of travel and compass to work ?
Two ways that do it.... directly tap the compass or tap the locate me button.....it switches from North orientation to compass direction. See attached pic. After playing around with Gaia I am definitely sold on it...allows you to download maps as well - when I am out hunting I put it in airplane mode to save the battery but the GPS with the downloaded map still works.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224-101845.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-101845.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 44

WyoKid

WKR
Using OnX kills the battery on my phone pretty quick which is my biggest complaint about the app. Has anyone had the same issue with Gaia?
If you download the hunt area and put your phone on airplane mode, I usually get 7 days out of GAIA. I don't constantly have my phone on but turn it on fairly frequently throughout the day to get my bearings and then it is constantly when I am coming out of the woods at night for about an hour.

WyoKid

WKR
Wait - seriously!?!? I knew GAIA was a great topo app but didn't know they did land ownership, hunting districts, etc like onX.

Does GAIA do land ownership names, hunting districts, and Montana block management like this?

View attachment 231513
Yes, they have a feature reach layering system with adjustable fading...huge game changer for burn areas, elevation changes, property lines and roadless/trail less areas. They have added layers for cell coverage, precip, snow, light, avalanche, bedrock....etc. great for other hobbies and professions other than just hunting.

You have to get the premium for access to all the layers but you get all states, all hunting districts and nautical maps and more. Here is a pic of the macro layers and sample of features.....best bargain out there for the price.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224-103753.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-103753.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20201224-103125.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-103125.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 36

WyoKid

WKR
BTW I am not affiliated with GAIA.....just a big fan of low key small companies that spend $$ on product development, good customer service and features directed at the customers rather than advertising, marketing and big name endorsements.....

Last edited:

WyoKid

WKR

Here is GAIA icon set...should be able to find something for most species.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224-101131.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-101131.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 35

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
Just downloaded and paid for the premium version. Like what I see so far but wouldn't you know that the county I primarily spend the most time hunting and camping in doesn't have land owner or boundary information! Thats a real bummer! ONX has it, wonder whats up with Gaia not?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WyoKid

WKR
Just downloaded and paid for the premium version. Like what I see so far but wouldn't you know that the county I primarily spend the most time hunting and camping in doesn't have land owner or boundary information! Thats a real bummer! ONX has it, wonder whats up with Gaia not?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
It does have private land and ownership. Go to layers and features and turn on the private land layer. Here is a screenshot. If you go to any land, tap the name and there is an "i" for information, which gives you more information on the owner. Tap the "i" for details. Another screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224-121144.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-121144.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20201224-121250.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-121250.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20201224-121238.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-121238.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20201224-121250__01__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-121250__01__01.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I’ve just come across this post, I’m a long time hunt stand user does anyone know how to move waypoints from hunt stand to Gaia.? Best wishes