Buh Bye OnX .... Hello GAIA!

Laramie

WKR
I haven't used either - been using Avenza Maps purely for navigation. It's free. There are paid maps you can buy but for every area I have hunted I have found a free map to download. It would be nice to have landowner info so have considered changing. Appreciate the info.

I have used Gaia for a few years now and prefer that over Onx.
I have Avenza on my phone, but that is used only for seeing which roads are legal roads to take my RZR down. I use the free forest service travel maps.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Wait - seriously!?!? I knew GAIA was a great topo app but didn't know they did land ownership, hunting districts, etc like onX.

Does GAIA do land ownership names, hunting districts, and Montana block management like this?

onx sample.jpg

bsnedeker

WKR
Is there any way to transfer waypoints from one system to the other? I’ve considered switching, but I’ve got so many points in onx, I’d hate lose them all.

Absolutely. You can export your points from OnX and import into Gaia. I do it all the time, really simple.

bsnedeker

WKR
"and cons" - what are your cons for GAIA? Asking, not arguing - Thanks
2 downsides from me:

1. The sheer number of layers available and organizing them in a way that allows you to use the efficiently is kind of intimidating. Once I figured it out I love everything about it, but it can get very complicated very quickly if you aren't being thoughtful in your approach to what you want to see.

2. When downloading offline maps the detail on the satellite imagery are not as good as OnX at High resolution. The trade off is that the Gaia downloads are a tiny fraction of the size required by Onx.

that's it for me. I do use both of them. I use Gaia a LOT more when scouting from my desktop. When offline in the mountains I tend to use OnX because I like that satellite imagery.

DavePwns

WKR
OnX has stopped working on multiple hunts, once I have 5 or 6 way points added and 1 or 2 tracking the app freezes and won't let me open the app again until I get cell service again. Going to give this a try for next year

Brendan

WKR
Put this up on another thread, color is coming through much better on my phone.

It color codes FS, BLM, Wilderness, State, Public in one layer, and landowner names in another.

I haven't used OnX recently, but I remember liking their layout a little better for the public/private and landowner layers, but that's purely a preference thing. Functionality is the same.

It will. (Color on my phone is much better - you get orange color coding for BLM and a blue for state that doesn't come through well in this picture, picked a random spot in WY for an example)

db5c5a9e66785074a195d6eff0d8ef23.jpg

"and cons" - what are your cons for GAIA? Asking, not arguing - Thanks

Cons for Gaia are satellite images aren’t as up to date as OnX. I hunt a lot of private land and Gaia does not provide the land owners address, just the address of the property. I’ve had loading problems with Gaia at times as well. Small issues I know but still a con to me.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
You can add googlw maps as a layer in Gaia. I found how on a past thread here. When you pick the area you want to download there is a slider at the top of the page to select rhe amount of detail you want.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

takdrvr

FNG
I’m definitely going to check out It out. I used OnX and just switched to BaseMap this year and definitely like it better than OnX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Cons for Gaia are satellite images aren’t as up to date as OnX. I hunt a lot of private land and Gaia does not provide the land owners address, just the address of the property. I’ve had loading problems with Gaia at times as well. Small issues I know but still a con to me.
Thanks that's good to know.

Landowner info is important to me. I use the landowner information to find permission and for other things than hunting. We use it for firefighting too, to know whose land we just drove into.

That being the case i'll have to keep my onx for a while, but I'm certainly gonna see that Gaia will do.

Glad I found this thread.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
onX warned me before it auto-renewed last month. I really appreciate sites that do that. A lot of these app sites hope you will forget until after the payment is made then you're either stuck with no refund, or its a real hassle to get a refund if you do.

I just looked at GAIA to see the cost and I see they only let you sign up with auto-renewal option (just like all of them) but I can't tell if they are going to warn me next year or not. Do any of you subscribers get advance notice of auto-renewal?

Ace531

FNG
onX warned me before it auto-renewed last month. I really appreciate sites that do that. A lot of these app sites hope you will forget until after the payment is made then you're either stuck with no refund, or its a real hassle to get a refund if you do.

I just looked at GAIA to see the cost and I see they only let you sign up with auto-renewal option (just like all of them) but I can't tell if they are going to warn me next year or not. Do any of you subscribers get advance notice of auto-renewal?
Yep I got an email from GAIA ahead of time that they were going to renew my subscription and gave time to opt out.

Reactions: zog