Buh Bye OnX .... Hello GAIA!

hunterjmj

WKR
Going to check this out. Last year my saved maps in onX would show up blank or be weird trapezoid shapes. OnX was basically worthless last season.

JSTR

FNG
So, anyone have screenshots of how it looks on the apple watch? I’m considering getting Gaia due to the compatibility with the watch since I could just keep my phone in my pocket and not have to worry about dropping it in snow or in the water. If nobody had pics within a week or so I’ll just buy it and post some just in case anyone else wants to see

Erict

WKR
So, anyone have screenshots of how it looks on the apple watch? I’m considering getting Gaia due to the compatibility with the watch since I could just keep my phone in my pocket and not have to worry about dropping it in snow or in the ry the free version of Gaia on your watch to see how it works.
You should be able to try the free version of Gaia on your watch.

JSTR

FNG
You should be able to try the free version of Gaia on your watch.
Well, I ended up buyin it, once I have everything figured out I’ll load pics of the watch. Their site shows a dif interface than my watch, but I haven’t downloaded any maps yet so we’ll see

I made the switch 2 years ago. Like many things in the hunting world, when “hunting” is attached to it the price gets bumped and that’s exactly what OnX is doing.

Gaia offers the same layers, better user interface, more intuitive map downloading, in my experience much less buggy, and all 50 states for far less than OnX wants. Not to mention the custom layers you can create

Some guy was trying to argue with me before that Gaia’s landowner data was old. Me and my wife bought our house in September and two months later our names were on our property in the app.

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
I made the switch 2 years ago. Like many things in the hunting world, when “hunting” is attached to it the price gets bumped and that’s exactly what OnX is doing.

Gaia offers the same layers, better user interface, more intuitive map downloading, in my experience much less buggy, and all 50 states for far less than OnX wants. Not to mention the custom layers you can create

Some guy was trying to argue with me before that Gaia’s landowner data was old. Me and my wife bought our house in September and two months later our names were on our property in the app.

Wait, you get landowner data on Gaia?! I’ve been using the app since 2016 and I’ve never seen that layer

Pgohil

WKR
My only complaint so far with Gaia is the private landowner layer doesn't include the landowners tax address, only the physical address of the property you're looking at . You can't contact a landlowner that doesn't live right there with that information.
OnX had them in that department.

BBob

WKR
Something I recently noticed while reviewing backup storage space on iOS. OnX uses a huge amount of storage for offline maps compared to Gaia. The OnX backup was using near 28GB compared to storing the equivalent map areas on Gaia which was only using 30MB. That’s huge. I don’t know exactly what the two are backing up and what differences there may be but it’s significant. After deleting all offline maps on OnX the backup was reduced down to 4MB. This all came about after wondering why a restore and re-backup on a phone took many hours to complete. OnX was by far the biggest storage hog compared to anything else on the phone. Any one else see this?

Last edited:
OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Something I recently noticed while reviewing backup storage space on iOS. OnX uses a huge amount of storage for offline maps compared to Gaia. The OnX backup was using near 28GB compared to storing the equivalent map areas on Gaia which was only using 30MB. That’s huge. I don’t know exactly what the two are backing up and what differences there may be but it’s significant. After deleting all offline maps on OnX the backup was reduced down to 4MB. This all came about after wondering why a restore and re-backup on a phone took many hours to complete. OnX was by far the biggest storage hog compared to anything else on the phone. Any one else see this?
Yes - for sure.
Onx is a huge data hog

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
Been saying this for a while OnX is behind the curve as far as data layers, but they have the advantage with the 3D mapping. That's what google earth is for though. A nice little update to add icons is that fact that with GAIA you can now use Emoji's for additional icons.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Gaia now has 3D mapping on the desktop. I haven't tried it on the phone, but I like the desktop version better than Google earth. It renders a little slower on my 10 year old pc, but I love that I can control the amount of z displayed. I can slide and rotate the maps. I now have a much better spacial view of my favorite areas and a discernable comparison between e-scouting new spots. It is amazing. If you haven't tried it yet, you need to.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
It looks like you cant print while in 2D mode - switch to 3D and the print option is available.

You can always just use the Snipping Tool on your computer to grab anything on your screen and it will save it as a .jpeg. Then print

Bbushnell

FNG
I’ve been using BaseMap and really like it but how would you compare the offline maps of gaia to base maps?