Buh Bye OnX .... Hello GAIA!

BBob

WKR
Yes to both. Historic wildfires and current wildfires are available as separate layers.

Last edited:
Does GAIA have a line-draw feature to find distance?

OnX has this but I can't figure out how to do it on GAIA besides drawing a shape with the area calculator.

BBob

WKR
Does GAIA have a line-draw feature to find distance?

OnX has this but I can't figure out how to do it on GAIA besides drawing a shape with the area calculator.
Hit the + and select create route. You can do a single line or create as many point to point to point, etc...lines as you want along a route. If you tap "Mode" down in the lower left corner there are other selections to modify the route type, you can select straight line here if you want. You can do a straight line in any mode though. Gaia also has snap to functions that will ID a road or trail and follow the road or trail instead of straight lines. Basically you can get very specific (more complicated) or a simple line.

Hit the + and select create route. You can do a single line or create as many point to point to point, etc...lines as you want along a route. If you tap "Mode" down in the lower left corner there are other selections to modify the route type, you can select straight line here if you want. You can do a straight line in any mode though. Gaia also has snap to functions that will ID a road or trail and follow the road or trail instead of straight lines. Basically you can get very specific (more complicated) or a simple line.
Thanks!

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
On the phone you can long press one point and then press another on the map. This will bring up the distance and elevation gain or loss. You will need to pick the mode like mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
So, I love GaiaGPS and have used it for many years. Some of us are concerned that it has recently been purchased by Outside Magazine, and what that means for the future. Hopefully it's good stuff, more dev team resources, etc. Hopefully it's not just to buy up userbase data and then let it die on the vine.

So, I love GaiaGPS and have used it for many years. Some of us are concerned that it has recently been purchased by Outside Magazine, and what that means for the future. Hopefully it's good stuff, more dev team resources, etc. Hopefully it's not just to buy up userbase data and then let it die on the vine.
Man- I didn't know this and was just about to start using it (i've played with it a bit, but don't know it well). What a buzz kill. I can only imagine a bunch of Outside Mag socal crap getting ported into the interface. Not sure I want to put the effort into learning it well now...

Erict

WKR
So, I have been a big advocate of Gaia but recently had an issue. Oddly, many of the properties in a county I hunt in now have incorrect landowner names and even the parcel sizes are off. I compared Gaia to the official maps on the county tax map site and the county site appears to have correct information. Stumped, I reported the error to Gaia. Below is the response just in case anyone else finds similar issues. I would be curious if a Huntstand or OnX show the same info for the parcels.

(**Update - just hours after I posted above - I checked Gaia and the maps are now correct!)

RESPONSE FROM GAIA:

Hi there,

Sorry for the slow response.

I reached out to the maps team about this. They are compiling a list of errors on the private land layer to report to the vendor that provides this data.

We don't actually maintain this data ourselves, we purchase it from a vendor, and we get new data from them every quarter. Because of the quarterly update cycle and whatever update cycles the individual counties have, it takes at least 3 months for any changes to show up, and sometimes over a year.

If the mistake is with Onondaga County's records, you would have to contact them to correct the issue.

If the mistake is with the vendor's records, our report should clear up the issue. Unfortunately, I don't have a timeline on how long it will take to correct this issue, because Gaia GPS doesn't have any influence over the vendor's operations.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
So I bitched about the map downloads months ago when I first started using Gaia and it seems they have at least corrected the "wont download in background" issue.

However their downloads are still slow as all hell. I just had a couple map updates to their topo map layer and public land layer. Total of around 4400 MB. It's been going for several hours now and is just over 3/4 of the way done.

When I run a speed test I get over 100 MB/s on my wifi here so this could have taken 44 seconds.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
So I bitched about the map downloads months ago when I first started using Gaia and it seems they have at least corrected the "wont download in background" issue.

However their downloads are still slow as all hell. I just had a couple map updates to their topo map layer and public land layer. Total of around 4400 MB. It's been going for several hours now and is just over 3/4 of the way done.

When I run a speed test I get over 100 MB/s on my wifi here so this could have taken 44 seconds.

So I take it back. Long downloads still get shut down in the background when I use the phone and don't just set it down and let it do its thing. Trying to download the 2021 BMA layer for MT it is taking a ridiculously long time and has stopped on me once so far.

ETA: it stopped on me multiple times so far, it's a 1100MB download. The best part is that it doesn't show up under downloads and you have to look in your maps to find it and restart it. It will not restart on it's own, even though "Auto resume incomplete downloads on launch" is turned on.
I brought this up with the gaia when I first had issues. There was no follow up from their initial response and it hasn't been fixed. So I'm kinda done with this app when my subscription expires. I really just use it for public land boundaries.

Why can't locus pro just offer a Land Management layer.

Last edited:
So I take it back. Long downloads still get shut down in the background when I use the phone and don't just set it down and let it do its thing. Trying to download the 2021 BMA layer for MT it is taking a ridiculously long time and has stopped on me once so far.

ETA: it stopped on me multiple times so far, it's a 1100MB download. The best part is that it doesn't show up under downloads and you have to look in your maps to find it and restart it. It will not restart on it's own, even though "Auto resume incomplete downloads on launch" is turned on.
I brought this up with the gaia when I first had issues. There was no follow up from their initial response and it hasn't been fixed. So I'm kinda done with this app when my subscription expires. I really just use it for public land boundaries.

Why can't locus pro just offer a Land Management layer.
Just curious if you are using a satellite layer? The reason I ask is that I was using the satellite layer called "satellite with labels" which is a mapbox layer source. These took forever to download and frequently failed to save. I found out that mapbox only allows 160k tiles across all saved maps. So if you've hit that limit in any mapbox source it will never download.

I switched to an ESRI satellite imagery layer and the problem was solved, I have maps as large as 3gb that saved for me.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
No, the the most recent download was the MT BMA 2021 layer. And the other layers I have downloaded are the gaia topo, public lands, and the USFS trails.

I guess I can understand it when it is a 3rd party layer that is being downloaded, but when your own proprietary topo map takes forever to download there are problems.

I also ran into issues this last weekend with roads on the gaia topo not being where they said they were supposed to be. I had the same issues with a hunt down in NM this spring. I have to say that all in all I'm quite unhappy with the app.

ETA: it seems they have alot of satisfied users. But it does always seem to be my luck that I can save my pennies, buy an expensive optic or something with fantastic reviews and immediately have to send it in lol. So I hope that others aren't having these problems but I'll probably try something else when my subscription expires in December.