Build a long range hunting rifle

Elmer Keith's last .338 development was the .338-378KT which had a slightly shortened .378 Wby case. He felt that with powders available at that time, the full length case was a bit too big. These days, it is just right, so long as you use a "real" barrel meaning at least 31" to burn all the slow powder. IMO the full length .338-378 is the ultimate elk rifle.

Anything you can launch a 215+gr bullet 3000fps or faster in a 30 cal
338 lapua or 338 norma improved if you really want to get serious.

I would vote 300 norma mag improved for the extra performance over the usual 30 cal mag crowd.

desertcj

WKR
I was recently contemplating this as well. Right now I shoot a 7mm Rem mag that throws 180gr Eld-Ms at 3000fps. I'm pretty happy with it, but if it can be Improved on then why not? I am really thinking a 300 RUM with a 30" barrel+brake, 8 twist to shoot 245gr Bergers or 250gr a-tips.

Jardo

WKR
300 win mag, proof barrel, nightforce glass, McMillan stock, h1000 handloads pushing Berger 215.

‘Nuf said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I asked myself this a few years ago. Then life got in the way and I didnt build the gun I planned to. But it gave me alot of time to think. I realized that I didnt want a barrel longer then 22", cuz for me there is always alot of close quarters hunting between the trail head and any long distance shot opportunity.

So I wanted an efficient cartridge that didnt lose speed with decreased barrel length. I settled on either the 338SS (Sherman Short) or the 300 Norma Improved. I settled on the 338SS for the bigger hole it produces.

215-230 grain 338 bullets should be over 3000fps, plenty of juice for an 800-1000 yard shot and still a very handy rifle for in the timber.

Wrench

WKR
I love these threads. When the 300 win isn't enough, but 90%+ don't even know what it can actually do....

Just pick something you can get brass and dies for and rock on. The "short" OAL of the win makes for a lot of mag length options vs some of the big dogs....

doc88

FNG
Nothing I can add here that hasn't already been said. I have a preference for 30 caliber though. In my opinion it's not too heavy for light game and not too light for heavy game. Pick what cartridge suits you and roll with it. The whinny will give you long barrel life and the belt is to be ignored when reloading. The Noslers, Normas, PRCs, etc are sweat as well. As scopes go, Nightforce for ruggedness and Leupold VX6 for weight savings. These are just my experiences as others will have theirs that work just as well. Good luck.

tlsmith22

FNG
300 win mag. "Often imitated never duplicated" when all things are considered. Build it and load it just like you would any case and ignore the belt. With properly set dies it means nothing. There are tons of components and great choices in factory ammo. With a 215 Berger it is a killing machine and can run 3K and maybe a bit more with N-570.

For an optic I would look at the Nightforce NXS 5.5~22 or the new NX8 4~32

This. I did go with a Proof barrel and Manners EH1 stock so I could splurge for the ATACR glass. The 215 Berger with the right chamber reamer and N570 powder is just awesome.