Build an arrow for Whitetail & Mule Deer

HWR

FNG
Looking to change things up and see how it flies. I want a durable carbon shaft. Speed is not my priority. What do you suggest I purchase (brand & spine) bareshaft to use?

-I will be fletching myself with; 3 AAE Max Stealth (7.5 gr. each) + 1 Bohning 4'' Arrow Wrap (10 gr).

-I will be using Magnus Stinger 4-blade (125 gr.)

You tell me on arrow shaft, front insert weights, etc.

Here's the catch.....short & light draw.

Bow: Hoyt Vector 32 @ 55 lb draw & 27 inch draw length

Thanks,

HWR

WCB

WKR
I don't think you can realistically beat the Gold Tip Hunter Pros. I personally see no need to add an after market insert. If you want more weight up front Gold Tip has weights you can put in and out after the arrow is built.

I've shot FMJs, VAPS, Pierce Platinums, and a few other arrows and the GT Hunters IMO are the best arrow I have shot.

Man, all of these are solid recommendations.

I'm in the same boat as you with my Gimli arms and just trying to get a good flying and solidly penetrating arrow. My draw is 25.5" and I'm shooting 70 lbs.

I really love the Easton Axis - pretty surprised nobody else mentioned it here yet.

I figure if you run like 400's (9 gpi) with a 25 gr. half-out insert you should still be at like 270 fps? Maybe?

You probably know this, but you would want to pay attention to your arrow length and make sure you're running the right spine or arrow length with a little heavier tip like that.

I probably have gone a little over-kill and sacrificed some speed with 75 grain HIIT insert upfront with 125's and stiffer spine than the chart suggests because I'm figuring a heavier set up for elk. But as the saying goes - Overkill is underrated. ;)

My top three to try would be:
  1. Easton Axis 5mm Pro
  2. Victory Vap TKO Elite
  3. Black Eagle Rampage
I would also go with a heavier spined arrow than recommended per the manufacturers chart and also 50 grains of weight up front. I’ve yet to find a combination that didn’t like sacrificing a little bit of speed for penetration and accuracy.

OP
HWR

HWR

FNG
Thanks for the input guys.

I think I'm going to pursue the Easton 5mm Axis. If some of the arrow building pro's could chime in, I'd like to know if you'd use a 400 or drop to a 340 spine? I think I could go either way depending on Insert weight used.

Bow Specs below again;
-I'd prefer 27.5 inch carbon to carbon or greater, but please advise your spine/arrow length/insert weight combo.
-I will be fletching myself with; 3 AAE Max Stealth (9.2 gr. each) + 1 Bohning 4'' Arrow Wrap (10 gr).
-I will be using Magnus Stinger 4-blade (125 gr.)

Here's the catch.....short & light draw.
Bow: Hoyt Vector 32 (330IBO) @ 55 lb draw & 27 inch draw length

HWR

Last edited:
That’s honestly a very heavy setup for deer only. But I like it and run nearly the same arrow on one of my bows at 70#.

Based on the Easton chart, with the specs you mention, add 3 lbs for the 125gr head. That puts you at 58lbs. Then round up to 28”. Gives you a conservative 400 spine.

BUT!! If you run the 50gr brass inserts to increase FOC, You have to add another 6 lbsthat puts you at 64lbs on the chart and a 340 spine.

my advice is to never be underspined or near it. Shoot the 340. Your total arrow weight will be around 430gr (~250fps) with std inserts or 465gr (~240fps) with the 50gr brass. Then you can hunt elk with that arrow too!

If you need the speed, shoot the 400 with std inserts and enjoy! You’ll be near 415gr and ~255fps. Enough for any deer within 50 yds with either choice.

I would go as heavy as possible that allowed me to still shoot 250- 260 fps. I would bet a 340 spine with 50 grains or more up front would tune well and put those broadheads where you want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk