Build me a Kuiu set

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you were to recommend me a set of Kuiu what would you recommend? I live in Idaho and hunt pretty hard. Very active and almost always do 10+ miles per day in the steep stuff. I'm pretty set on Kutana pants and Kenai jacket. Looking to probably get 2 different next to skin tops and two different mid layers so I have options.

I really like athletic next to skin fit. I bought the Peloton 200 in large and it fits loose even though large always fits me great in everything else. Coming from First Lite, the large Kiln fit very well on me and hugged my skin so I am looking for a fit like that piece. Even though I didn't like the fit of much else they offered.

My experience with Kuiu has been that everything I end up with is great and ends up used for different purposes. I think it’s hard to go wrong although the prevailing opinion on here is that each of the major companies has good gear and maybe the ideal setup is a combo of the best from each.

That being said I would vote for peloton 97 zip off bottoms, attack or guide pants depending on expected temps. On top either merino or synthetic base depending on your preference, peloton 97 if backpacking otherwise 200 sounds good, Kenai for insulation, and a soft shell (currently loving the kutana) for wind/moisture protection. I also love the peloton 240 for wind resistance but the kutana does well enough for most hunts and will keep you dry in snow or light rain. I carry the ultra NX rain gear (no longer available) if things get really wet.

If backpacking the ultra down pants are hard to beat for warm to weight ratio. I’m a huge fan of the pro down jacket, although others prefer differently in the “really warm down jacket” department.

LightFoot

WKR
Base:
Merino 125 short or long sleeve top
Merino 145 zip hoody
Peloton 97 Zip Off bottoms

Mid:
Peloton 97 Zip T
Peloton 240

Insulation:
Kenai Jacket
Ultradown pants

Outer:
Kutana jacket/pants

>>>----JAKE----->

Lol, as has been recommended before in multiple other threads, companies do well for certain items and other companies do other items well. Condoning yourself to only Kuiu or Sitka or FL or whatever is like confining yourself to just one restaurant for food. Some people do ok with that but most want some variety.

Here’s my untested kit (untested mountain hunting but tested in the woods of oklahoma) I hope to use next year in Montana for a second week rifle hunt:

Bottoms:
Kuiu peloton 97 zip off
Kuiu Axis / attack pants (depending on weather)
Kuiu Kutana gaiters
Kuiu Super down pro bottoms for glassing

Tops:
Kuiu pro merino 200
Kuiu Superfleece 260 hoodie
North face thermal ball jacket
Sitka jet stream jacket (all the above layers very well under this)
Sitka Kelvin WS jacket for glassing

Gloves:
Kuiu axis gloves
Kuiu down glassing glommits

Head:
Sitka jet stream beanie
Will likely add a cheap billed hat of some sort as needed

Lots of options out there to just limit to one brand name. And yes, I pretty much look like a Kuiu ad when I walk out, kind of makes me gag.

Last edited:
My thoughts, and I mix and match kuiu, first lite, kryptek, and SKRE.

Pants: attacks, 145 zip off, FL red desert boxer.
Tops: 125, 145, 200 Merino, peloton 200(not made anymore?), Halstead tech fleece from FL. If under 45° use 200 Merino first then a synthetic over and add soft shell jacket if needed (I have Chinook). Over 60° 145 merino should be good.

I don't use zip off bottoms unless under 45°.

Kutana rain gear might be great stuff, I like the gaitors. I have ultra nx.

Head: 145 Merino beanie and boonie hat on top or some other hat (my only Sitka piece is the rain hat and I use that when appropriate). I don't like hoods very much but they have their place.

I mix the camo patterns too, either of the kuiu ones (prefer vias) with asat or SKRE or kryptek highlander.

If you like athletic fit then kuiu is for you. I am on the bulky side so had issues with fit that required a lot of returns. CS was good but I ate shipping costs which pushed me to another brand. Still use and love a few kuiu pieces though.

- Zip off base layers. <=== these are the bomb. Will own and buy these until someone else copies the idea.
- Attack and pro pants <=== probably still my favorite back country pant.
- Dcd guide jacket.

I am interested in some of their newer stuff but just cant bring myself to go around again with the size exchanges and shipping costs.

ChrisAU

WKR
I like to use both the Merino 145 and Peloton 97 zip offs. I can funk up the Peloton 97's if I run them next to skin for a few days straight. When they are doubled up they add a lot of warmth in camp or when glassing. I rarely need to take the 145's off even in high exertion, and the 97's only add 4.35 oz to my pack for my larges.

ChrisAU

WKR
My thoughts, and I mix and match kuiu, first lite, kryptek, and SKRE.

Pants: attacks, 145 zip off, FL red desert boxer.
Tops: 125, 145, 200 Merino, peloton 200(not made anymore?), Halstead tech fleece from FL. If under 45° use 200 Merino first then a synthetic over and add soft shell jacket if needed (I have Chinook). Over 60° 145 merino should be good.

I don't use zip off bottoms unless under 45°.

Kutana rain gear might be great stuff, I like the gaitors. I have ultra nx.

Head: 145 Merino beanie and boonie hat on top or some other hat (my only Sitka piece is the rain hat and I use that when appropriate). I don't like hoods very much but they have their place.

I mix the camo patterns too, either of the kuiu ones (prefer vias) with asat or SKRE or kryptek highlander.

Peloton 200 tops are definitely still available, just not the bottoms. Love my Peloton 200 QZ over a First Lite Wick 150 S/S or L/S.

Building around the Kutana pants and kenai jacket. It would be helpful to know if this is late August through November and what part of Idaho. I would go with a Peloton 118 short sleeve and Merino 145 long sleeve as base on top then the Peloton 97 and Peloton 240 in your preferred configuration of hooded or 1/4 zip. I have all 4 and use all 4 together when necessary. Early season backpack hunting probably taking the 118 Ss and 240 unless it’s looking cooler then I’ll add the 97 also. With the kenai and a rain jacket there isn’t much you can’t handle. The one area that might be lacking is later with snow, wind and cold enough it’s not getting above freezing. For those conditions I add the axis jacket with the other 4 layers and probably don’t wear the Merino. My puffys fit over or under the axis. Some Peloton 97 zip off bottoms and you are set. I like the 145 Merino bottom but the Kutana Pant is really pretty thin so if I need a base layer I likely need more than the 145.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s what I have & was pretty happy running it every day in Colorado 3rd season.

First lite boxers
Peloton zip off bottoms
Kuiu merino short sleeve
Peloton 97 1/4 zip
Kuiu superdown vest
First lite puffy
Kutana soft shell
Kuiu pro pants
Peloton beanie

Adjusted layers to temp & level of exertion & was comfortable every day. One piece I would love to add is the glassing glomits. For me personally Kuiu fits me well & imo their fabrics for the most part are superior to the other high cost companies. My bro in law had a couple Sitka pieces with him in Colorado & the fabrics just didn’t seem worth the cost & seemed like Cabelas brand named stuff. Just my opinion.

This is what I bought for my needs. I'm 5' 10" and change, 176#'s. Slight of frame except a 3-5lbs gut that needs to go. If I want form fitting mids and base layers from KUIU I'll buy M. If I want loser fit L. Jackets, or if I plan to layer under it (say 200+ weight mid layers), I order L.

Jacket
Kenai Ultra Hooded Jacket (Great hood on this one)
Super Down Ultra Jacket (Great item, light and warm, I'd go more fill if hunting below 25f often)
Guide DCS Jacket (Great jacket but will likely be reserved for 40f - 65f still hunting, spring turkey. If I were to get another soft shell it would likely be the Kutana for the focused durability)
Chugach NX Rain Jacket (If lots of rain/snow I'd go Yukon, if using as a durable outer and occasional rain/snow then Kutana)

I don't feel the need for a soft shell jacket except durability moving through harsh brush, e.g. thorns. For cold weather, say 20f-35f, I layer the Kenai hooded and Super Down Jackets (with a mid layer and base layer under them). If windy and/or wet or needing more warmth, I'll add my Chugach NX rain jacket over the top. Having these three jackets allow a combination for almost anything above 20f. The Super Down packs so small it's like an ace up your sleeve against cold weather.

Upper Body Base and Mid
Ultra Merino 145 Zip T (next to skin)
Ultra Merino 125 Crew T (next to skin or over 145 zip for extra warmth)
Pro Merino 200 Zip T (mid layer, Could easily substitute or add a Peloton 240 Full Zip or SuperFleece here)
Peloton 97 Zip T (next to skin likely to use in more damp conditions or need quicker drying)

Depending on temps, activity level, and wet vs. dry potential, I'd bring some combination of these. Merino base if it's dry and/or warmer and Peloton if wet/snow and need quicker drying. Then the Pro Merino in either situation.

Lower Body Outer and Base
Attack Pants (below 60f, would likely try the Kutana if doing it again for focused durability, if I hunted in cold and wet/snow a lot I'd get the Yukon rain pant and wear as my outer layer pant or maybe the Kutana rain paints)
Tiburon Pants (above 60f)
Peloton 97 Zip Off
Super Down Ultra Zip Off Insulated Pants
Yukon Gaiters
Chugach NX Rain Pants (If lots of rain/snow I'd go Yukon, if using as a durable outer also then Kutana)

I need to add a heavier weight bottom to the mix where the Super Down is to much but Peloton 97 is not enough. Likely Pro Merino 200 zip off or Ultra Merino 145 zip off. Love the zip off feature of base layers and the Super Down ultra pants. Based on temps, wet/dry, and activity level I'll bring some combination of these items.

Just looked over kuiu offerings and surprised they almost eliminated the Merino wool items. 90% synthetic now.

I wear attack pants, guide jacket and the kenai hooded down jacket. This fits my needs for 99% of what I do, whether it be waterfowl hunting, big game hunting or just hiking. Also, the Yukon pro gloves are hands down the best gloves I’ve ever had. The palms are tough as nails yet they are just warm enough and give me enough dexterity to still pull the trigger and load shells when jumping ducks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the layering guide on their website was very helpful for me and also calling them. They are very knowledgeable of what they sell

Here’s my set up:

Top:
Merino 125 SS
Merino 145 Hoody
Peloton 97 Hoody
Peloton 240 Vest
Super down Hoody

For a top shell I either go with the Kryptek Poseidon for early season or planning on using the Kuiu Axis for mid season

Bottom:
Peloton 97 or 200 bottoms
Prana Zion or Attacks
Kryptek Poseidon Rain Pants

I’ll usually wear Yukon gaiters in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
I haven't tried the Kuiu softshells because I'm still very happy with my Sitka Jetstream thats probably 6 or 7 years old. I do love layering underneath with the Kenai Ultra jacket. The pit zips give it a wide range of temps even under fairly strenuous climbs. And its super quiet. The Attack pants are another must have and again, the hip zips on them give them September to December functionality. Unless you've got a brother-in-law working at Kuiu don't limit your wardrobe. Just like others have already said, Sitka and Firstlite both offer some great products that may even fit you better.