Build my garage gym for me - or talk me out of it.

jmcd22

WKR
Damnit! I knew none of you bastards would talk me out of this...

I’m kidding, and thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

The space I‘ve got to work with is 11 feet long along a wall, and I’d like to keep whatever I put up against that wall limited to about 50 inches. The garage as 14 foot ceilings, so height isn’t really a limiting factor.

There‘s some equipment on Rogue Fitness that seems to fit the general idea of what I had in mind.

So, something like this rack and adjustable bench, a flat bar, and some kettlebells ought to get me a good enough system, right?

That is the exact rack I've been looking at for when we actually go to build our gym. I have no experience with it but it looks like it would fit the bill for us. I was going to add one of their other packages that includes a bar, bumper plates, kettlebells and some other stuff. If I remember right, I was able to do it for under $3k and that was getting almost everything we needed.

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
Rogue rack, rogue barbell, rogue adjustable bench, and rogue bumper plates and you'll never need anything else. Add dumbbells if you want to, but a barbell, rack, and plates is really all you need unless you want to be a bodybuilder.

Trr15

WKR
Building a garage gym was one of the best decisions I've made. Working full time with 3 kids between the ages of 2 and 12 leaves little time for a trip to a commercial gym. Having a garage gym has allowed me to fulfill my fatherly and husbandly duties and still maintain a high level of strength and fitness. I workout 5-6 days a week, usually after I've put the kids to bed. I've been slowly piecing my garage gym together for the past 6+ years and I've invested more than I'd like to admit, but I've got the perfect setup for my needs. The only time I go to a commercial gym now is when I'm traveling.

Last edited:
OP

3forks

WKR
Alright, so it sounds like I’m on the right track...

So what flavor MTN OPS do I get, and what fragrance of Axe body spray is going to have the neighborhood moms beating down my door?

LostArra

WKR
If were buying Rogue I would keep looking local on craigslist or facebook marketplace. Shipping costs can add up quick.

Bumper plates are pricey, especially new, and not necessary to strength train. Lots of deals on used iron.

Last edited:

wesfromky

WKR
I have a rogue echo squat rack, bar and plates. Basically the lowest end Rogue line, and they are all great. I have REP bench and Kettlebells, also very good. And random stuff from Onnit like steel maces and clubs. Along with a trx trainer.

Having a home gym is great - there is a big up front investment, but being able to roll out of bed and lift without having to drive to the gym is well worth it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
In my old house I had a squat rack, flat bench, barbell and about 500lbs of plates.

I got pretty damn strong with just that while only really training 3 times a week for an hour or less.

squats
Deadlifts
Overhead pres
Bench press
Chin ups

stick to those and you will go very far.

jmcd22

WKR
I got back on Rogue's website after seeing this thread and they are out of a lot of stuff and actually stopped taking orders for at least 24 hours. Definitely keep an eye out on other places for deals...I have a feeling there is going to be a lot for sale in the coming months.

Poser

WKR
Literally the worst moment in time to try and build a home gym in the history of the world. There’s a run on all gym equipment. You might wait until CV blows over and the market will be flooded.

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Best time to buy from Rogue is black Friday sale. They have cheap shippingThen.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Hah. Got that 20 years ago at a swap meet. Was too cool to pass up.

Stupid question time: I've always wondered how that dual chinup bar setup works. Does the lower bar get in the way when using the upper bar? I've got an identical setup but with only one chinup bar, the higher one.

For those looking at racks vs cages, the chinup bar is a great feature both for exercise and stand stability. On board plate storage helps too.

R

Real_fatlander

I think for a no bull awesome full body workout that takes basically zero equipment is the Murph.

Do all this for time:

1 mile
300 air squats
200 pushups
100 pull-ups
1 mile

It checks all the boxes for me on lockdown. Mix it in with longer runs and rucks and I’m doing fine in quarantine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For keeping it simple a straight bar, squat rack, and some plates can go a long way. Squats and dead lifts alone will do amazing things for total body strength. Combine some body weight excercises and stretching or yoga with it and you should be good to go.

What he said. A heavy medicine ball or sandbag can be helpful too.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for a half rack, barbell, bench, and plates. You can build oodles of well-rounded strength with just that. As far as programs, look into Stronglifts 5x5. It's a good plan to get you started and building good baseline whole-body strength. It's simple as well - only 5 lifts involved in the whole program. I've gone back to it from time to time after taking some time off from lifting and it's effective for knocking the dust off.

Poser

WKR
I think for a no bull awesome full body workout that takes basically zero equipment is the Murph.

Do all this for time:

1 mile
300 air squats
200 pushups
100 pull-ups
1 mile

It checks all the boxes for me on lockdown. Mix it in with longer runs and rucks and I’m doing fine in quarantine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just make sure they are legit pullups and not that pathetically weak ass, stupid Crossfit bullshit excuse for pullups.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
The garage as 14 foot ceilings, so height isn’t really a limiting factor.

I'd LOVE to have a 14' ceiling! You can hang things and do climbing exercises.

Put up a ladder, rigid or rope, wear a heavy backpack and climb up & down.

Hang a rope with or without knots and do the same.

Hang a diagonal ladder and climb the underside.

JohnIrish

FNG
Interesting question... it depends on what your final goals are... I think you dont want to be a professional weight lifter.. just looking to tone up. Most recommend free weights over any kind of machine.

Option 1 ... Find a Squat rack... not just a bench. You need a rack with bars to support the weight in case you lift too much .... loose balance... or lift the wrong way and start to hurt. Especially for Squats. Many people get hurt lifting alone! Use a rack with safety bars! This is the more expensive option and takes up more room.

Option 2 ... Dumbbells .... You will get plenty toned up with dumbbells and they are safer if you are lifting by yourself. Just look online for dumbbell routines.

I would suggest just the Dumbbells.. Get a reasonable weight range...start out small and gradually increase. you dont need the 100 lb dumbbells! Find a routine and document your progress. Have a plan to gradually increase the weights.