Build my garage gym for me - or talk me out of it.

I’ve been looking at plans others have put out. I would want it attached to the wall and preferably foldable to it’s fairly flat when not in use. I’ll probably build it initially out of wood to make sure I like the design and placement. If it all works well I’ll use it a a basic template for steel construction.

Another cheap option is to have a bar and utilize rogue monster bands as resistance in lieu of weights. Hook the bands around each side of the bar and then around a hook on the floor. I usually mount the hook to the squat platform so it is held in place by my weight and the weight of the platform. This is an easy way to perform squats (and deadlifts with the shorter bands) without need to rack and unrack weight. You would have to play with the placement of the bottom hooks to get resistance at the bottom of the lift.

Another cheap option is to have a bar and utilize rogue monster bands as resistance in lieu of weights. Hook the bands around each side of the bar and then around a hook on the floor. I usually mount the hook to the squat platform so it is held in place by my weight and the weight of the platform. This is an easy way to perform squats (and deadlifts with the shorter bands) without need to rack and unrack weight. You would have to play with the placement of the bottom hooks to get resistance at the bottom of the lift.

That's a good thought since plates are hard to come by at this point. I began clearing out and reorganizing the garage in anticipation of building something in the next week or two. What are you using for hooks to attach the bands? I would imagine it would need to be fairly robust. Maybe some round tubing with a flange on the end to prevent slipping?

Moserkr

WKR
I use a cheap Titan Power Rack (1,000 lb rated), barbell and 300 lb of plates, flat bench, all set on 2 4x8’ rubber mats. Just do the basic squats, deadlifts, bench, overhead press. Throw in some crossfit type lifts to change it up. Pushups, pullups, and situps. All can be had used for around $500, double for new. I went from lifting heavy to medium weights and more reps. Ive found a lot more useable endurance and strength by lifting high reps closer to my bodyweight than low reps closer to my max. Ill never come close to the rated weight of my cheap power rack either, but i got it for the safety aspect of lifting alone.

That's a good thought since plates are hard to come by at this point. I began clearing out and reorganizing the garage in anticipation of building something in the next week or two. What are you using for hooks to attach the bands? I would imagine it would need to be fairly robust. Maybe some round tubing with a flange on the end to prevent slipping?

I did not buy that specific product but my rods came from the local hardware store and are similar. I welded on a flat plate and a 2 inch piece to raise the hooks/pegs up a little. Be aware you will eventually tear your resistance bands after hard use over a year or two so you want a smooth hook/peg. Some people add those front and back to create a triangle with the band and bar.

DaveN85

FNG
Depends on budget..... you cannot go wrong with a power rack, adjustable bench, and barbell/bumper plates.

The other option is to purchase a mid-weight kettlebell, fitness sandbag, jump rope, and 40lb slam ball and go to work! In all reality, you can tax your system with bodyweight exercises and pullups.

Building a garage gym was one of the best decisions I've made. Working full time with 3 kids between the ages of 2 and 12 leaves little time for a trip to a commercial gym. Having a garage gym has allowed me to fulfill my fatherly and husbandly duties and still maintain a high level of strength and fitness. I workout 5-6 days a week, usually after I've put the kids to bed. I've been slowly piecing my garage gym together for the past 6+ years and I've invested more than I'd like to admit, but I've got the perfect setup for my needs. The only time I go to a commercial gym now is when I'm traveling.
Hey @Trr15 ! Awesome comment here - Garage Gyms are seriously the way forward for anyone with responsibilities they care about! :)
I run a small business here in New Zealand (Red heaven) manufacturing gym equipment - just stumbled across this post. Would you be happy with me using this statement on one of my online sales pages?

Please let me know - thanks heaps!