Build my garage gym for me - or talk me out of it.

OP

3forks

WKR
I think I’m leaning towards a folding wall rack, adjustable bench, flat bar, bumper plates, and TRX straps to start.

I‘ve gotten some feedback from guys on here and online, and it appears that Rogue is good stuff but you’re paying a premium for their name.

Rep Fitness is based here in Colorado, and appears to get good reviews... I can save myself shipping if I buy through these guys.

Bumper plates are pretty generic within reason, right?

American Barbell has good reviews for their bars and weights.

Thanks again for everyone’s suggestions and input!

SWOHTR

WKR
Stupid question time: I've always wondered how that dual chinup bar setup works. Does the lower bar get in the way when using the upper bar? I've got an identical setup but with only one chinup bar, the higher one.

For those looking at racks vs cages, the chinup bar is a great feature both for exercise and stand stability. On board plate storage helps too.
You set it for whichever one you will use most often. And If you want to use both, you put a bolt in the middle holes and use two 5/8in receiver hitch pins in the other holes. You pull the pins and can then rotate the other bar to the lower position.

OP

3forks

WKR
Oh... and WTF is with this?

Rogue Fitness has a video on their FB page of the dude in the pic straining to lift so much weight that his nose starts to bleed (see screenshot).

I‘ve heard that CrossFit has a mascot called Pukie the Clown, too.

I appreciate the obsessive compulsiveness that some people have, but these CrossFit people really take it to another level!

Attachments

• 8ED027DB-ADFD-4CCB-B146-8C6F02636C97.jpeg
    8ED027DB-ADFD-4CCB-B146-8C6F02636C97.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 33

Gorp2007

WKR
I hesitate to share because I'm in the same boat you are, but when/if Rogue starts shipping again they're currently running a "Buy a Rig, Everything Ships Free" deal.. It excludes wallmounts, but if you get one of the Monster Lite rigs it qualifies.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I think I’m leaning towards a folding wall rack, adjustable bench, flat bar, bumper plates, and TRX straps to start.

I‘ve gotten some feedback from guys on here and online, and it appears that Rogue is good stuff but you’re paying a premium for their name.

Rep Fitness is based here in Colorado, and appears to get good reviews... I can save myself shipping if I buy through these guys.

I have a REP adjustable bench and have been pleased with it...solid piece of gear. I've also been to the showroom off I25 and their racks seem very well built. Retail staff is about useless though, good luck getting them off the computer to answer any questions.

The rack I sold was a Rogue RML-3. Great rack and made in the usa but IMO over priced. It's really no better than any other 11 gauge hunk of steel.

FringeSport is another good alternative to Rogue. Good prices, free shipping and great customer service. I have ordered most of my home gym equipment from them.

SWOHTR

WKR
The rack I sold was a Rogue RML-3. Great rack and made in the usa but IMO over priced. It's really no better than any other 11 gauge hunk of steel.

so, I get it - complaints about paying for the rogue name. I have a lot of their gear and it is great, zero issues so far. What I will tell you, after nearly 10 years of using it and having the opportunity to compare it to other brands:

-their hole spacing on the uprights can make all the difference. Most manufacturers offer 2” hole spacing. A lot of the rogue equipment is 1” spacing through the bench press zone, which makes a big difference for optimal benchpress setup.

-j hooks are shallow. They retain the bar and allow you to not have to press the bar 2+ inches just to unrack it-you can pull it straight out. Most manufacturers’ j hooks are 2” deep and don’t lend well to “pulling” the bar out of the rack. Combine this with the 2” hole spacing they like to use and you’re quickly getting to a point where you cannot effectively set up for bench (or press, squat, etc).

-Bar knurling is about perfect. Many commercial manufacturer’s knurling is either too sharp or too passive. A lot of this is user preference though.

-their equipment is not so oversized as to be unwieldy. You can reasonably move and adjust the equipment without it being too bulky.

-lastly, they have a LOT of accessories that you can add to your squat or power rack.

Ratbeetle

WKR
so, I get it - complaints about paying for the rogue name. I have a lot of their gear and it is great, zero issues so far. What I will tell you, after nearly 10 years of using it and having the opportunity to compare it to other brands:

-their hole spacing on the uprights can make all the difference. Most manufacturers offer 2” hole spacing. A lot of the rogue equipment is 1” spacing through the bench press zone, which makes a big difference for optimal benchpress setup.

-j hooks are shallow. They retain the bar and allow you to not have to press the bar 2+ inches just to unrack it-you can pull it straight out. Most manufacturers’ j hooks are 2” deep and don’t lend well to “pulling” the bar out of the rack. Combine this with the 2” hole spacing they like to use and you’re quickly getting to a point where you cannot effectively set up for bench (or press, squat, etc).

-Bar knurling is about perfect. Many commercial manufacturer’s knurling is either too sharp or too passive. A lot of this is user preference though.

-their equipment is not so oversized as to be unwieldy. You can reasonably move and adjust the equipment without it being too bulky.

-lastly, they have a LOT of accessories that you can add to your squat or power rack.

Rogue isn't the only company to offer those things now. Don't get me wrong, they make fine equipment, but it's welded steel...not proprietary tech.

LostArra

WKR

The bench press spacing is called Westside spacing. Available on many other brands of racks but it is a very nice feature. Smaller distance between holes in the bench press range.

I just took a look at the Rogue site and have they dumped all 2x3" racks? I don't see any Infinity or Echo offerings. Have they given up that segment to REP and Fringe?

Rogue isn't the only company to offer those things now. Don't get me wrong, they make fine equipment, but it's welded steel...not proprietary tech.

This... I built my last rack really kicking myself for getting rid of it in the last move....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davescarp

WKR

Buy iron plates instead of bumpers unless you are doing snatches.. waaaay cheaper. I have a REP rack that cost like $300, a rogue echo 2.0 bar, and a iron weights I scored off Craigslist (Troy and Ivanko deep dish). Also look on craigslist for power blocks, waaay cheaper than a dumbell set. Squat, deadlift, press, bench, chins, barbell does etc. and ur well on your way.

For what to do, Starting Strength is good start but I'd look at Barbell Medicine as a more modern, but less dogmatic platform for strength training content, and also general health info too, from novice to expert. Andy Baker has a lot of good info too.

Mawgie

FNG
TRX straps or rings.; pullup bar if no place for TRX straps or rings; Kettlebells (consider learning how to swing and snatch if KBs are new to you); dumbbells if no kettlebells; ab wheel; Rogue Echo air bike or a Concept 2 Rower, yoga mat; possibly an X3Bar (banded resistance device), if budget allows.

h2so4

WKR
Rack for lifting and a pull up bar. That will get you pretty far. I’d also suggest a 35lb and 53lb kettlebell.

I think for a no bull awesome full body workout that takes basically zero equipment is the Murph.

Do all this for time:

1 mile
300 air squats
200 pushups
100 pull-ups
1 mile

It checks all the boxes for me on lockdown. Mix it in with longer runs and rucks and I’m doing fine in quarantine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ican’t stay consistent with it, it’s been a bit hectic with surf and travel, but now that our gym is closed I’ll have to get back after it.

trying to find a rhythm on intervals. 30-20-10 is decent but I fade hard at about set 7 or so right now on the squats.

run home is almost all up hill.

Shattered is a good word for the feeling

SpookySpectre308

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I have a pretty good garage gym setup. The things I use most:
C2 Rower
Bar/Plates/Rack
Pull up bar
Kettlebells
Boxes

For the boxes, we have two, they’re both the type that can be turned on a different side to get different heights. One is 20x24x30, the other is 12x14x16 or something close to that. The larger is good for jumping and the smaller is good for higher rep weighted steps and such. You can spend the money on the fancy Rogue boxes, but I’ve had good luck with some off brand versions I found on amazon. And they’re cheaper. Or you could make your own. I’m pretty handy, but I worry I’d end up with a box that wasn’t perfectly square. And then I’d break my neck.

Horse stall mats for the floor.
Exactly this ☝️

I put a garage gym together about a year and a half ago. Left the local gym because it’s lot easier to walk out to garage instead of driving there and back. Rotating shift work is rough on being able to work around the gym crowds.
I got a rogue foldaway rack and a cheap 300lb barbell set to start.

since then I’ve gotten an Olympic curl bar,a couple bumper plates, a handful of kettlebells ranging from 8lbs to 80lbs, I made my own plyo box from scrap ply ( 18x22x28), and a hex bar.
All the extras after rack and barbell set were more so just to be able to mix it up and keep things interesting.

overall, best idea I’ve had in a while besides dropping newlywed/sympathy preggo weight!

I'm in the same situation as some. I work late evening and get off at 10 pm so I've been going to anytime fitness, which was perfect. Well, they closed about 3 months ago. Needing a 24 hr gym, I reluctantly joined planet fitness. I am into barbell compound lifts (squat, deadlift, bench etc). So I've been really struggling trying to transition to a smith machine. The $10/month is nice, but I feel like I'm missing out on the best lifts and am getting weaker! So I'm looking into the home rig and barbell setup. Need it to fold against the wall.

So my question: I'm handy and can build about anything. I've seen several setups make out of wood. Should I pursue that avenue or just bite the built and buy a steel setup? I'm confident it would hold the weight since I it holds up your house, but is the ease worth the extra cost to buy from Rogue/PRx/Titan?

So my question: I'm handy and can build about anything. I've seen several setups make out of wood. Should I pursue that avenue or just bite the built and buy a steel setup? I'm confident it would hold the weight since I it holds up your house, but is the ease worth the extra cost to buy from Rogue/PRx/Titan?

There are plenty of good pre planned (diagram) squat racks made from 4x4 and 2x4 posts. Do you want it to be free standing or can you mount it to a wall? I would prefer to mount it to the wall. It could be a fun weekend project amidst all this COVID stuff. The cost is certainly way under a rack from Rogue, etc. How handy at welding are you? You could build your own rack with square pipe. Nothing fancy but it will hold weight most anyone can load on it.

There are plenty of good pre planned (diagram) squat racks made from 4x4 and 2x4 posts. Do you want it to be free standing or can you mount it to a wall? I would prefer to mount it to the wall. It could be a fun weekend project amidst all this COVID stuff. The cost is certainly way under a rack from Rogue, etc. How handy at welding are you? You could build your own rack with square pipe. Nothing fancy but it will hold weight most anyone can load on it.

I’ve been looking at plans others have put out. I would want it attached to the wall and preferably foldable to it’s fairly flat when not in use. I’ll probably build it initially out of wood to make sure I like the design and placement. If it all works well I’ll use it a a basic template for steel construction.