Build My Rifle- 300 WM

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Been around guns for as long as I remember, but this is my first serious western rifle. So about the gun, it’s a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in a 300 WM. I’m proficient with a 7mm out to 300, but for this rifle I’d like to spend a lot more time behind it and be better out to those longer distances, not necessarily to kill out to those ranges, just to help understand ballistics and how my rifle will perform at those ranges. I’ve had the rifle for a few months now, and spent a lot of time reading about scopes, rings, muzzle breaks, and ammo. I don’t mind spending on quality products if it means I won’t have to replace down the road or will be less to maintain. There’s so many rings on the market that I’ve seen people suggest from vortex to spuhr, but I would like something that will be ideal for my model of rifle, so that’s my first question. For my scope I’ve been looking at a Leupold VX5 3-15x44, Nightforce SHV 4-14x50, and I’ve also been trying to find a Maven(due to being from Wyo) looking for suggestions. Open to other options as well, I’m definitely new to turrets, but that’s one option I would like, looking for opinions on other requirements they look for in scopes. I can deal with not having a FFP, mostly due to I don’t know how much hold over I’ll actually be doing. Next question would be would a muzzle break be something good to add to this rifle, never shot a 300 WM, but spent some time behind a 7mm, never really have had an issue with recoil, but would like it to be somewhat enjoyable to shoot when doing target if that’s doable. I know I’ll be putting on some type of 10-20 moa rail, don’t really know what brands would be ideal. I’m 26 and in pretty decent shape, so I’m not looking to build a super light sheep rifle, so I don’t need that as a requirement, but mostly just want it to be reliable. This will mostly be used for elk, but will be using it for antelope and possibly deer if I have time. If there’s other suggestions to improve this rifle as in trigger or anything else, throw them out and I’ll read up on it. Pretty addicted to researching.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Of the scopes you mentioned, I’d go with the nightforce, I’d also take at look at the nxs 2.5-10x42.

I’d say go with a warne mountain tech rail or a talley rail, for rings I’d either get the warne mountain tech or nightforce ultralight since you are going the rail/ring route.

should be a cool set up.

handwerk

WKR
I wouldn't put a break on it and I'd get a quality synthetic stock as well. I'd try and keep it between 7 3/4 and 8.5 lbs. ready to hunt. I've not used any of the scopes you're looking at but they all seem to have their fans.

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't put a break on it and I'd get a quality synthetic stock as well. I'd try and keep it between 7 3/4 and 8.5 lbs. ready to hunt. I've not used any of the scopes you're looking at but they all seem to have their fans.
How is the current Bell and Carlson composite stock that comes on it?

There'll be an increase in recoil but it will not be that much more than a 7mm Rem Mag.

Figure out how much you want the rifle/scope to be. Going with NF ultralite rings/base and the SHV, you'll be around 9.3-9.4 pounds. Going with the VX5HD and brand X rings/base, you'll be about 8.7 pounds.

I do not do brakes as they hurt my ears. You can look to see about changing the recoil pad to a Limbsaver.

When practicing at the range, ensure that you let the barrel cool. Bringing along other firearms is a good idea.

Once you find a load that your rifle likes, look to see about getting or borrowing a chronograph. This will allow you to start calculating your ballistics. You'll need this if you use the reticle or dialing.

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I feel I can deal with anything around 9 lbs, which it would be if I went with a higher power nightforce like the shv 4-14x50. like I said I’m young and in good shape. I would like to think I will have my herd patterned through September during archery, so I won’t be doing a ton of long distance hiking with it. I want it to be reliable and the ability to start shooting longer distances for practice and just knowledge.

Wapiti1

WKR
Good choice on a rifle. The new Winchester M70's are nice and that package is solid for a do all rifle.

You only need a 20 MOA rail if you plan on shooting past 1000 yards. Most decent scopes will have enough adjustment to get to 1000 plus with a .300 WM. I like Warne Mountain Tech bases. For rings, I like Vortex Viper rings because they are easy to level. TPS is another brand that I like a lot. Any decent quality ring is fine. The lightest option would be Talley

To stay at around 9 lbs, aluminum rings and bases will be needed. And you should look at a lighter scope. I'd really look at the Zeiss V4 4-16 as an option. That one seems to be solid from the feedback I have seen. I have not shot with one, just fondled it. A 2-10 sized scope is viable as well if you aren't going super long range and that saves from weight in most cases.

Shoot the rifle first and decide on a brake. If you want to see your hits in the scope, you'll need one. Even then, a .300 might be tough to see hits with. Threading it isn't spendy, and you don't have to leave the brake on if you don't want to. It isn't a permanent fixture. Just swap it for a thread protector.

You can save about a pound with a lighter stock, but that will set you back $500-$700. I like the B&C that is on it.

Jeremy

I got a win mag over the winter, after asking a million questions I went with the Murphy’s 20 MOA rail seekins rings and the SHV 4-15x50 MIL. I Was all over the place with scopes and decided to go with the SHV due to its track record being reliable, I’ve been very happy so far with it

I’d take the rifle, throw it in a McMillan Edge stock. Top it with a Murphy Ti 0 moa rail and nightforce rings to hold a 3-10 SHV or 2.5-10 NXS. Put an ernie the gunsmith spring in the trigger and glass bed it to the new stock. It wouldn’t worry about a brake, it’ll likely be in the 8.5ish pound range all said and done. The M70 is an awesome action, although not the lightest. Go forth and kill stuff with it!

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot the rifle first and decide on a brake. If you want to see your hits in the scope, you'll need one. Even then, a .300 might be tough to see hits with. Threading it isn't spendy, and you don't have to leave the brake on if you don't want to. It isn't a permanent fixture. Just swap it for a thread protector.
I know a gunsmith could answer this question, but I haven’t went that far into researching a good one in my area yet, but because my barrel is a sporter and also fluted, will that restrict on a brake?

Wapiti1

WKR
No, you can still thread for a brake. It will probably be for 1/2" or 9/16" threads. Sometimes you can do 9/16 or 5/8" and shoulder internally. I just did one that way that has a thin barrel.

Jeremy

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Is the rail/ring mounting system the smartest or would a single piece system be better to look at?

Is the rail/ring mounting system the smartest or would a single piece system be better to look at?
It depends on the tube length of the scope you chose, my 3-10 SHV wasn't long enough to mount in talleys on a long action 704. If Talleys will work, I'd go that route, but a LA M70 might be a squeeze with a shorter scope.

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Decided on a Maven RS.1 for my scope, didn’t like the weight of the SHV when I got it in my hands. Maven being out of Wyoming, I like supporting in state companies if I can. Also not going the rail route. One last question going to go with Talleys, since my rifle is a controlled fed action not push fed that makes it a pre64 when ordering the Talleys?

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
If you like supporting Wyo business, instead of a brake, give Thunder Beast some of your money and trade that Winchester in for a Weatherby. :) I can't seem to find a list of dealers in Wyoming that have Maven optics. I know a handful of places along I-25 and I-90 that may stock them....just depends where you are. Its cool Maven allows customers to demo spotting scopes and binoculars. Didn't realize they were in Wyo, let alone Lander of all places.

What bullet are you planning to shoot? Asking as I am building a similar purpose rifle on a Browning platform for the same purpose.

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
If you like supporting Wyo business, instead of a brake, give Thunder Beast some of your money and trade that Winchester in for a Weatherby. :) I can't seem to find a list of dealers in Wyoming that have Maven optics. I know a handful of places along I-25 and I-90 that may stock them....just depends where you are. Its cool Maven allows customers to demo spotting scopes and binoculars. Didn't realize they were in Wyo, let alone Lander of all places.

What bullet are you planning to shoot? Asking as I am building a similar purpose rifle on a Browning platform for the same purpose.

The rifle was given to me as a gift from my pops, so it has sentimental value for my first western rifle, and I’ll be keeping it for my lifetime and most likely pass it down to my kids when the time comes. Twisted Barrel out of Douglas is doing the brake and installation of my optics, so keeping it local as well. Maven is direct to customer only so they don’t stock them in retailers. Had quite of few recommendations for them over Leupold so I pulled the trigger last night and sent my order in. Since I haven’t shot the rifle yet, that’s next in the process. Right now I have a box of Federal 180 grain with the Nosler. If you have some recommendations please throw them out. Weatherby is definitely in the future as well, so I’ve already considered that for a more lighter weight deer/goat rifle.

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I live in cheyenne as well, and finishing school over in Laramie, so I’ll definitely check out thunder beast