Build My Rifle- 300 WM

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Laradise has a small shop on the east side of 287 as you're coming into town from the south side. Check out Sportsman's Warehouse in Cheyenne. There's also a small shop on the south side of Dell Range I used to buy reloading components at years ago. Unsure if it's still there.

As far as bullet selection, you're spot on for your twist rate. Mine has a 1:8 so I'm going heavy with a 212 ELD-X.

Smart move never selling a sentimental firearm.

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Twisted Barrel was recommended to me from Ben Gorman the owner of Shed Necks. No offense to sportsmans but I’ve talked to a few guys about doing work on my bow and didn’t always like the feedback I was getting, and due to the fact that this is the first time I’ve had this type of work done, I really wanted someone reputable.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
My bad, let me clarify, I was suggesting those in reference to ammunition. I've heard good things about Twisted Barrel.

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thanks, will definitely be checking out pricing and options they have. I’m working in Kentucky as we speak so when I get back that will be one of my stops. I felt really confident about Marty working on my rifle, sent him an email and he called me within 5 minutes of receiving it to talk about everything and gave me some really great advice. Great guy.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
For a sporter barrel like the Winchester, you might consider the micro bastard brake by APA. Very effective.

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
For a sporter barrel like the Winchester, you might consider the micro bastard brake by APA. Very effective.

I was hesitant at first at installing a brake at all, due to the fact I’ve never had an issue with recoil, grew up shooting a lot, so I’ve learned how to handle it. When I talked to Twisted Barrel, he recommended one if I was going to be shooting this rifle more frequently, which I will be because I want to get into some longer range target and improve my shot mechanics for when hunting season rolls around. Marty has his own brake system and he’s machining it to the diameter of my barrel for a more clean look, not that it matters much to me. Thanks for the recommendation though, I have looked at them before this process started just wanted something a little more permanent if I was going to be going with a brake.

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Now I’m into the deep hole of deciding what to do about a bipod. Would it be worth it to look into a pic swivel stud adapter, installing a pic rail, or just make it easy and get a Harris and be done with it.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
The rifle was given to me as a gift from my pops, so it has sentimental value for my first western rifle, and I’ll be keeping it for my lifetime and most likely pass it down to my kids when the time comes. Twisted Barrel out of Douglas is doing the brake and installation of my optics, so keeping it local as well. Maven is direct to customer only so they don’t stock them in retailers. Had quite of few recommendations for them over Leupold so I pulled the trigger last night and sent my order in. Since I haven’t shot the rifle yet, that’s next in the process. Right now I have a box of Federal 180 grain with the Nosler. If you have some recommendations please throw them out. Weatherby is definitely in the future as well, so I’ve already considered that for a more lighter weight deer/goat rifle.
Berger loads some 215 gr ammo that plays well with lots of 300WMs thats worth a shot.

Unknown muntitions is a forum sponsor (out of Idaho I think) that will load pretty much any bullet/brass/powder combo you want. I don't have any experience with their off the shelf 300WM loads but have heard good things