Build or Tikka Veil in 300 Win Mag?

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a lighter 300 Win Mag. I'm trying to decide between buying the new Tikka Veil Wideland and seeing how it shoots out of the box or buying a standard stainless 300 Tikka just for the action to start a build. My build would consist of Tikka action, Proof Research Carbon 24" 1-10 twist barrel, and Mesa Precision stock. Any advice or feedback appreciated. Thanks.

If your getting a new tikka they both have 1-10 twist rates. Why not buy a t3x stainless see how it shoots and then decide if you want more. That would save you a chunk of cash right up front

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

MattiG

FNG
Since you mentioned barrel twist, and since I've seen a few fairly recent references to Tikka's twist, I'll just throw out there that Tikka is now 1:10 as well.

Other than that, I'll let you know how mine shoots as I just built almost the exact same gun, but with an Iota Eko stock. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Heck, if I decide it's too much gun for my bum shoulder, you could have it for the cost of parts.
95cbf3ecee51ab413fda15059c53dc06.jpg
256edce4386aeb4f0224d1be81182f33.jpg
359c409f124a065f3c247a449216b766.jpg
3081d5f5436ad9b34dd3223047f13bf3.jpg
97a1f1d9496f3ca9ef5cf7f8062fe559.jpg
d664db5ffb19b14f1b7fe71eead11a5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

LuvDog

FNG
Are you someone who can just buy it and leave it alone, or not?

If you're like me, then you'll buy it and say you're just going to shoot it out.

But then PVA/Preferred/Proof will have a labor day/black friday/veterans day/etc sale and you'll tell your self that it's on sale so you'll buy a new barrel.

So I say get the T3x SS and shoot it while you wait for the next sale at Proof

Tullis94

WKR
Personally I would buy the tikka roughtech, swap the stock and break and see how it shoots. If you are happy then you saved a little money. I think you will be, but every gun company has a lemon here and there. I really like the slightly heavier barrel profile of the veil/roughtech and would put a similar profile on if I were to swap barrels. If tikka made a 1 in 10" 300 wsm I would be doing this right now.

I don’t think the veil/toughtech models are worth the premium they charge. You could buy a regular T3X lite and have the barrel threaded and install a proper side port break and replace the bottom metal and it would cost about the same.

You could always put a carbon stock on that and shoot it then swap the barrel later, but tikkas shoot well and the new 10 twist make that less necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MHWASH

WKR
One of the reasons I got rid of my T3 300WM is because of the limited magazine length. What’s the point of a faster twist barrel if your going to be limited by COL? BTW, my 1/11 twist shot the 200 gr AB, ELDx & Sierra great.
I presently own a T3x 300 WSM and shoot 180s @3000. Once the HCA magazines become available again I’ll try the 200s once more.

OP
D

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the feedback. Anyone own a Tikka Veil in 300 Win with the new 1-10 twist? How did it shoot factory ammunition? Decisions, Decisions...

One of the reasons I got rid of my T3 300WM is because of the limited magazine length. What’s the point of a faster twist barrel if your going to be limited by COL? BTW, my 1/11 twist shot the 200 gr AB, ELDx & Sierra great.
I presently own a T3x 300 WSM and shoot 180s @3000. Once the HCA magazines become available again I’ll try the 200s once more.
Excellent point, the tikkas shine with short mags but are unfortunately handicapped with LA cartridges at 3.3" mag length.
I just picked up a tikka mag from mountain Tactical for my wsm and it's an awesome magazine
I appreciate the feedback. Anyone own a Tikka Veil in 300 Win with the new 1-10 twist? How did it shoot factory ammunition? Decisions, Decisions...
If you're shooting lighter bullets and don't handload then the tikka 300 wm combo will suit you well, otherwise I'd pick up a cheap tikka with a magnum bolt and do your build with a custom throated 300 wsm shooting any of the 200 + grain bullets, 212 eldx or 215 bergers are my preference.

Shoot the 180 ttsx and not worry with mag length. Just trying to make your decision tougher. Lol best wishes to you. I have a mess of tikkas but no magnums yet.

No issues with my T3X 300 WM (1:11) shooting 190 gr Bergers. Zero upgrades done other than hand-loads and custom scratches in the stock. This rifle also had no issues accurately shooting commercial Federal Terminal Ascent.

After seeing sub 1/2 MOA with my new T3X Veil (Cabelas model D18) in 6.5 CM with factory Ammo, I’m totally getting another in a bigger caliber. I was going to get a stainless and see how it shoots before modding but my son loved that model. Amazing guns.

100%
It cycles my saum cases like butter, not a single hitch
Mine has been flawless so far. Dropped a few loaded magazines a couple of times no cracks or damage beside a round ejecting out once after bouncing off the concrete. But nothing any other mag wouldn’t do. No issues single loading through the port either.

Gila

WKR
If you want to stick to the factory COAL (3.34”) the Tikka mags will work just fine. All factory loaded 300 WM ammunition is 3.34” inches regardless of bullet weight. If you ever want to handload and play around with seating depth, you could drop in a Redsnake Tactical bottom metal...really easy to install. That setup has a mag COAL of 3.6+. I didn’t want a break or camo stock so went with the T3x Lite in SS. Really happy with my setup. I think the upgrades are well worth the extra $400 for a veil if that is what you want. I don’t think I have ever heard any regrets from anyone who owns one.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
If you want to stick to the factory COAL (3.34”) the Tikka mags will work just fine. All factory loaded 300 WM ammunition is 3.34” inches regardless of bullet weight. If you ever want to handload and play around with seating depth, you could drop in a Redsnake Tactical bottom metal...really easy to install. That setup has a mag COAL of 3.6+. I didn’t want a break or camo stock so went with the T3x Lite in SS. Really happy with my setup. I think the upgrades are well worth the extra $400 for a veil if that is what you want. I don’t think I have ever heard any regrets from anyone who owns one.

Can the Redsnake bottom metal really handle 3.6" without feed lip or trigger modification?

Gila

WKR
Can the Redsnake bottom metal really handle 3.6" without feed lip or trigger modification?
Yes...all you do is take out the action screws, remove the mag catch and spring (one Phillips screw) that is attached to front of the trigger assembly. Then take a half round wood rasp (3/4”) and rasp out a little bit so that the bottom metal will fit easily in the stock inlet. Took me about 10 minutes but I am slow. Red Snake has a short instructional video. Get an AICS metal mag for the 300 WM that has a total length of 3.715”. My setup feeds like a dream. I have put through 60 rounds so far. I have not had any ammo longer than 3.34” through it yet, but checked the clearance is ok. No feed lip mods needed with the two mags that I have which are AICS that I bought from Brownells:

OP
D

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know if the action and barrel are stainless under the cerakote finish on the Veil models? I cannot find it online..