Building a boondock camper

kyleds8

FNG
Hello,

I recently bought a little R-pod camper for a road trip around the SW, and after tearing it up on dirt roads and seeing the prices they are going for I am selling it. I'd like to build out a much simpler and hardier camper out of a used cargo trailer, but all the ones I see have the same low clearance as the R-Pod.

Any advice on what kind of cargo trailer I could buy used to build into a boondock camper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bozeman

WKR
You will have to build your own 'custom' to get what you are wanting without paying a major premium. The ground clearance and stability of the frame all need to be spec'd out........I have mulled this over numerous times and for me, the return isnt worth the investment. If you decide on this, Good luck! (I think you can search for some DIY trailer rigs)

BBob

WKR
Just a thought. If you can find a cargo trailer with a straight axle you could likely do a simple axle flip to gain ground clearance. Most axles are setup over the spring and swapping to under could easily gain 4" or so clearance depending on axle and spring combo. A welder or most places that do trailer work could do this pretty simple job. If you needed even more the option of spacing the springs further from the frame could be done fairly easily too.

Just a thought. If you can find a cargo trailer with a straight axle you could likely do a simple axle flip to gain ground clearance. Most axles are setup over the spring and swapping to under could easily gain 4" or so clearance depending on axle and spring combo. A welder or most places that do trailer work could do this pretty simple job. If you needed even more the option of spacing the springs further from the frame could be done fairly easily too.
That’s what I’d do if I was going that route, I’ve done it on a fifth wheel trailer to level it out for towing, wasn’t a big deal.
or find a used pickup camper and match it to a trailer, you could build in some cargo capacity in that scenario

grfox92

WKR
I've seen a few bumper pull campers with flipped axels here in Wyoming. So it's totally doable.

I would look into getting in old dumpy camper and renovating that as opposed to starting from scratch. Hot water heater, air conditioning, water system all gets very expensive and is a pain in the ass to retrofit.

Find an old small bumper pull and renovate the interior leave all the plumbing, and utilities in place and work around them. You'll be much happier with this in the end.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk