Building a clothing system using first lite, or sitka, or both?

I'm gonna be hunting in southern California in 70-90 degree heat. (I'm guessing I will mainly be wearing just baselayers and later in the season a mi layer top w/pants over it, rarely a jacket.) I called both Sitka and First Lite, and both were extremely were extremely helpful in building systems. Problem is, I don't know whether to choose just Sitka, just First Lite, or a mix of both. So if you guys could help me build a system using these two that would be amazing.

First Lite System:
Base layer top: Wick longsleeve crew​
Base layer bottom: Wick boot top bottom​
Mid layer top: Kiln Hoody​
Pants: Obsidian Foundry Pant​
Sitka System:
Base layer top: Core lightweight crew longsleeve​
Base layer bottom: Core lightweight bottom​
Mid layer top: Apex Hoody​
Pants: Traverse pant OR Mountain pant​

Welcome. Both solid options. I have and use gear from both companies.

for those temps in Sitka in so cal I would go light weight. Sitka core lightweight hoody and apex or ascent pants. Apex hoodie isn’t much for insulation. Think about a heavyweight hoodie or the traverse if you want something warm. I wouldnt worry about base layer on the bottom for those temps.

For FL - The obsidians are great. The foundry version is awesome but may be a little warm in those temps. Those shirts are fine and the kiln would be a good top.

between the two, you can’t go wrong And I don’t have a strong preference between the two now. A few years ago, FL was still hammering out their designs and I would have GIVEN the edge to sitka. FL have closed most of that gap, although i find the innovation and execution on the Sitka to be slightly better, it also usually comes with a bit higher costs too.

OP
S

for those temps in Sitka in so cal I would go light weight. Sitka core lightweight hoody and apex or ascent pants. Apex hoodie isn’t much for insulation. Think about a heavyweight hoodie or the traverse if you want something warm. I wouldnt worry about base layer on the bottom for those temps.

For FL - The obsidians are great. The foundry version is awesome but may be a little warm in those temps. Those shirts are fine and the kiln would be a good top.

between the two, you can’t go wrong And I don’t have a strong preference between the two now. A few years ago, FL was still hammering out their designs and I would have GIVEN the edge to sitka. FL have closed most of that gap, although i find the innovation and execution on the Sitka to be slightly better, it also usually comes with a bit higher costs too.
Thanks!

OP
S

Which brands base layer do you think would be better? I’m leaning FL because of the camo pattern

Don't get tied to one brand... different companies have different pieces that are best for your needs. I use FL for my hot weather merino. I use a KUIU fleece. I use a costco down puffy. I use wrangler nylon pants. You get the picture. Heck I use a sitka fleece beanie just because!

Which brands base layer do you think would be better? I’m leaning FL because of the camo pattern
It sure about your terrain. If you go wool, I give the edge to FL. I honestly use my Sitka core lightweight stuff the most But that is because I tend to prefer synthetic base layers. If you are looking at a base layer for your lower body, I would give the zip offs from Kui and FL a hard look. The ability to take the off or put them on without removing your boots is a game changer. Speaking of kuiu, they are a worthy contender and offer good value for the pricing IMO. I have never loved how their tops fit me but I am a big fan of their pants and base layers.

Jbxl20

WKR
Hope this helps. Just got back from 10 days in CO.

Right now I have kuiu attacks, Sitka ascent and FL corrugate guides. I would definitely recommend the attacks with side vent zippers.

I have kuiu merino tops, FL tops and Sitka core lightweight hoody, lightweight, t shirt and fanatic hoody. (Plan on using for archery whitetail)
I would recommend the FL merino over the Kuiu.
Or for synthetic recommend the Sitka core lightweight hoody( I like the wik and core hoody the same)

Last week In Colorado I hunted mostly in a t shirt then used a FL chama and/or my kuiu 240 over top. I did have puffy pants and jacket for when it was cold in the morning and evenings while in the shade. I only used my kuiu zip offs to sleep in. It was too hot while moving to have the base layer pants on and was easier just to zip the puffy pants overtop while sitting.

OP
S
Don't get tied to one brand... different companies have different pieces that are best for your needs. I use FL for my hot weather merino. I use a KUIU fleece. I use a costco down puffy. I use wrangler nylon pants. You get the picture. Heck I use a sitka fleece beanie just because!
Thanks for the reply
It sure about your terrain. If you go wool, I give the edge to FL. I honestly use my Sitka core lightweight stuff the most But that is because I tend to prefer synthetic base layers. If you are looking at a base layer for your lower body, I would give the zip offs from Kui and FL a hard look. The ability to take the off or put them on without removing your boots is a game changer. Speaking of kuiu, they are a worthy contender and offer good value for the pricing IMO. I have never loved how their tops fit me but I am a big fan of their pants and base layers.
So for the Sitka lightweight vs the FL wick, you would go first lite? Keep in mind the first lite camo matches my environment more than Sitka, and I’ll probably wear just base layers for most of the day.

Last edited:

H80Hunter

WKR
To me, I like synthetic base layers better in warm weather, when I’m more trying to stay cool, and wool when I’m more trying to stay warm. Just my personal preference/experience.

Chanimal

FNG
I use both the wick long sleeve and Sitka core lightweight frequently. I would prefer the Sitka hands down for the the temperature range you are looking at.

I can’t give info on the pants. I prefer Kuiu, and kryptek pants because of fit. I like the strategy of the Sitka pant line and have owned and tried on multiple models but I do not like the fit.

OP
S
I use both the wick long sleeve and Sitka core lightweight frequently. I would prefer the Sitka hands down for the the temperature range you are looking at.

I can’t give info on the pants. I prefer Kuiu, and kryptek pants because of fit. I like the strategy of the Sitka pant line and have owned and tried on multiple models but I do not like the fit.
Thanks!

Thanks for the reply

So for the Sitka lightweight vs the FL wick, you would go first lite? Keep in mind the first lite camo matches my environment more than Sitka, and I’ll probably wear just base layers for most of the day.

the whole wool vs synthetic thing is a wild debate that isn’t worth rehashing. I am a bit of a sweat hog and for personal comfort reasons I tend to wear synthetic more than wool base layers. That’s a personal preference and I do most of my hunting in areas that are colder and wetter than you, so keep that in mind.

on the wool FL vs Sitka debate, neither are bad. unfortunately, the only way to know what is best for you is to buy and wear both for a while. If you like the FL camo pattern, then go for it. As others have mentioned, most fury critters are color blind so as long as you don’t look like a dark blob Or human shaped silhouette then you should be good. Go with what you like.

OP
S
the whole wool vs synthetic thing is a wild debate that isn’t worth rehashing. I am a bit of a sweat hog and for personal comfort reasons I tend to wear synthetic more than wool base layers. That’s a personal preference and I do most of my hunting in areas that are colder and wetter than you, so keep that in mind.

on the wool FL vs Sitka debate, neither are bad. unfortunately, the only way to know what is best for you is to buy and wear both for a while. If you like the FL camo pattern, then go for it. As others have mentioned, most fury critters are color blind so as long as you don’t look like a dark blob Or human shaped silhouette then you should be good. Go with what you like.
Thanks!

OP
S
FL merino is better than sitkas in my opinion, though for those temps I'm not sure that matters too much. I prefer sitkas mid and outer layers over FL.
Is the first lite wick clothing merino or synthetic? It says it’s “aerowool,” whatever that means