Building a Complete Sleep System for Southern NM

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some advice from those who hunt the southwestern states (Particularly NM), as I have a few hunts this fall and winter. I've been reading here and elsewhere and doing some online pricing and shopping to try to weigh my options. I'll be in the Gila in September for Elk, the bootheel in November for deer, and in SE NM in January for Aoudad. The falls hunts present issues with staying cool, the January hunt will be cold and windy at night. Luckily I get a wide variety of discounts because of my career, so I'd like to take advantage of them and save some cash where I can, but I'm going to prioritize quality over price where I can. I don't really want to build a system then replace half of it next season. For those who who have experience in the region, what are your recommendations?

You’re either lucky or loaded to have all those tags lol.

For backpacking, I have a 20° “comfort” quilt as my main bag and I open it up if it’s warmer and layer up if it’s colder. Assuming you’re on the ground you’ll also want a warm pad (R4+ imo).

In the January desert 20° usually would be fine, but a cold front could move in and drop into the teens or single digits, even down low. Elevation also affects temps quite a bit, just compare weather from Roswell with Timberon or Mayhill and Cloudcroft.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with @canyonhunter47, a 20 degree quilt with a high R-value pad should be a good start. Probably a little warm in the fall, but you can unzip it and use it as a blanket. Invest in a good down jacket (maybe one of your discounts applies here) and sleep in it when it gets colder. You could also carry a sleeping bag liner on the colder hunts and those will add a few degrees.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
You’re either lucky or loaded to have all those tags lol.

For backpacking, I have a 20° “comfort” quilt as my main bag and I open it up if it’s warmer and layer up if it’s colder. Assuming you’re on the ground you’ll also want a warm pad (R4+ imo).

In the January desert 20° usually would be fine, but a cold front could move in and drop into the teens or single digits, even down low. Elevation also affects temps quite a bit, just compare weather from Roswell with Timberon or Mayhill and Cloudcroft.
All my tags are through the draw. I’d like to say it’s all the hours I put into draw odds research but no doubt luck plays a part in getting the tags. I should specify my elk tag is not truly the Gila, it’s in 16E.

I was considering getting two bags, one around 30° and one around 15°. Splitting the difference like you said is probably a better idea. I’ll be getting a pad too. I have one for a cot but it’s far to large and heavy for backpacking. I work out around Lordsburg and I’ve felt some real bitter nights and mornings out here when the fronts move in with the winds. Is your quilt synthetic or down?

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with @canyonhunter47, a 20 degree quilt with a high R-value pad should be a good start. Probably a little warm in the fall, but you can unzip it and use it as a blanket. Invest in a good down jacket (maybe one of your discounts applies here) and sleep in it when it gets colder. You could also carry a sleeping bag liner on the colder hunts and those will add a few degrees.
When you say quilt, you mean the style of bag correct? As opposed to like a mummy style bag? If so, what makes you choose that design?

I’ve slowly been building my Sitka system as I get extra cash, but I’ve been looking to replace my old Under Armor base layers because they’re getting older and worn out. I’ll add a down jacket to the list to look into.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, the style of bag is what I'm referring to! I have a Katabatic Flex 22 and my girlfriend has an Enlightened Equipment Revelation 10 degree. Both of them are sweet. Quilts are generally lighter weight and pack down smaller than a comparable sleeping bag. The quilt design leverages the fact that traditional mummy bags "waste" the insulation that is underneath you because it can't loft and insulate you. You lay directly on your pad and the quilt sits over you more like a blanket. They have features to keep them secured to the pad to prevent drafts.

Since you are laying directly on the pad it is important to get something that is well insulated. Here is a good resource to compare R-values for sleeping pads: https://sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/sleeping-pad-r-values/.

I can't speak to the Sitka products as I haven't used them, but hopefully someone else can chime in with a down jacket recommendation.

Seth

WKR
As a NM resident, I’ve found it takes a combination to be ready for the wide range of conditions. For early archery seasons, I’ve settled on a 40 degree El Coyote quilt. For later seasons, a WM badger is hard to beat. I sleep really warm, so YMMV.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, the style of bag is what I'm referring to! I have a Katabatic Flex 22 and my girlfriend has an Enlightened Equipment Revelation 10 degree. Both of them are sweet. Quilts are generally lighter weight and pack down smaller than a comparable sleeping bag. The quilt design leverages the fact that traditional mummy bags "waste" the insulation that is underneath you because it can't loft and insulate you. You lay directly on your pad and the quilt sits over you more like a blanket. They have features to keep them secured to the pad to prevent drafts.

Since you are laying directly on the pad it is important to get something that is well insulated. Here is a good resource to compare R-values for sleeping pads: https://sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/sleeping-pad-r-values/.

I can't speak to the Sitka products as I haven't used them, but hopefully someone else can chime in with a down jacket recommendation.
That’s definitely something I’ll have to look into, I’ve mostly been looking at the traditional style bags. Seems to maybe be the way to go atleast for early season for sure. As for the Sitka down jacket, it’s in the Kelvin line. Thanks for all the advice!

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
As a NM resident, I’ve found it takes a combination to be ready for the wide range of conditions. For early archery seasons, I’ve settled on a 40 degree El Coyote quilt. For later seasons, a WM badger is hard to beat. I sleep really warm, so YMMV.
We do have quite a wide array of conditions. How much fine tuning did it take you to find your setup?

Define what you really want in weight, shelter size, stove-no stove, give us more input. Also consider the versatility factor, I select gear i can use in a wider variety of conditions so I get the most out of them.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Define what you really want in weight, shelter size, stove-no stove, give us more input. Also consider the versatility factor, I select gear i can use in a wider variety of conditions so I get the most out of them.
I think my main goal is the versatility you're talking about. I don't need the most ultralight gear, and truth be told I'm not experienced enough to pick a specific weight to aim for. Is something like 8-10 pounds with everything reasonable?

I'm thinking a three person tent- I have my eye on the Big Agnes Copper Spur HL UV 3. That's just under 4lbs according to their site.
Most of the bags I've researched- without looking into quilts- are 1.5-2.25 lbs. Pads about a pound or two as well. I think under 10 lbs is my expectation and goal, any lighter is bonus. I don't plan on taking a stove, but if there is a good tent option that adds the capability without a necessity for it, I'm very willing to go that route just for the ability.

My elk hunt I plan on setting up a base camp but may pack it in several miles before setting it up. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to scout the unit yet, I've kinda been waiting to get my gear around and go for a long weekend scouting to iron out my setup and scout. I expect highs in the 80s (atleast) and lows in the 50s-40s.

My deer hunt will be slightly cooler but more of the same. I will probably have to base camp to get where I really want to go each day.

The Aoudad hunt is the oddball this season for me. Much cooler with lows in the 20s, but if a cold front comes through and throws some wind it could be much colder.

Like I said in the original post, my real goal is to have a quality and versatile setup that I don't want to replace next year. I'm willing to put money up now, within reason, to get stuff that is going to last.

Are you putting 3 people in it? I generally double the size to allow for gear. My solo tent is the Stratospire 2 which is a 2-3 person shelter that weighs 3.5lbs. I carry an EXPED UL9LW mat and EE Condundrum -10* quilt which works for everything. If I'm in an area with no flat ground I use a hammock.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P1010866.JPG
    P1010866.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 16
  • eeconundrum.jpg
    eeconundrum.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 16
OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Are you putting 3 people in it? I generally double the size to allow for gear. My solo tent is the Stratospire 2 which is a 2-3 person shelter that weighs 3.5lbs. I carry an EXPED UL9LW mat and EE Condundrum -10* quilt which works for everything. If I'm in an area with no flat ground I use a hammock.
I planned on having two plus room for gear. If I was going solo I’d get a 2 person tent. Really like the KUIU Mountain Star for a solo application. After more consideration I’ve settled on the Marmot Bantamweight 15° and am looking at the BA Rapide and Thermarest Xtherm pads.

EXPEDS are pricey & heavy but the 3.5" mat with R rating of 6 works great with no history of problems. Some brands (not naming anyone, you can do your own homework) have had leaky valve problems.

You could get a light quilt or bag and puffy jacket and pants. That's what i've been doing lately. 4.2 R pad, 30 degree quilt, puffy pants and jacket. Worked fine on a night in the high 20s low 30s, i'd want a warmer quilt for anything colder.