Building a Crew

Michael54

WKR
I usually invite people to come along hunting with my dogs. Usually you can tell by the end of a full day of hunting chasing after dogs if they are gonna cone back or not. one of My best current hunting buddies was backpacker/hiker that reached out for first time hunting advice in a fb group. I realized he was 20 mins away and reached out via pm. It was a good fit. He could walk cirlces around me but would walk past what he was supposed to be looking for. I got in better shape and he's tagged out the past 3 years.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
biggest things I run into
The actual passion to hunt. Seems like most people just like to talk about it.
Good people that you trust being around
People who aren’t afraid of the hard work involved

crazy to think something that is so much fun to me is no interest to others
I know many people that are passionate about hunting. Problem is they all are in it for different reasons. The guy with a cozy wall tent camp isn’t going to pack in with a backpacker. The guy who is overly obsessed with his bow isn’t going to be compatible with the guy who studied the area all summer.

I've got an awesome crew of guys who we've just kind of collected each other through the years by going on hunts. I've found the best way to build a crew is invite people to go hunting with us and over time the ones that have kept coming have become fixtures of the group.

bbell

WKR
B34A44FF-5BE3-4ED2-AA87-AF8CAFE6F61E.jpeg
01BE5CBD-0A2E-46C8-AEAA-5FD8B5F03324.jpegBuilding my crew from the ground up😀 All love the outdoors and my oldest just shot her first buck a couple days ago. Good start so far we’ll see if they stick with it. My other “crew” is my best friend from middle school.

TacoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the same boat. Grew up back east and still have hunting buddies on the east coast. Since moving to AZ I’ve hunted with a couple different guys but I’ve found most like to talk about hunting but don’t want to hunt hard. The wrong guy can screw up a hunt quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
Just wondering how everyone came into their group of hunting partners. For me its been basically my dad and grandpa. Now that my kids are starting to roam the mountains they will start to join. But with anything age does catch up to you. Grandpa has now passed and the hunts we had were great. Dad is getting older and probably only has a few more big hunts in him. Still loves to go but we both know time is not on our side. Hopefully we can get him is big buck and bull sometime in the next few years. Other than that I am on no mans land as far as other guys my age. I look at some of these hunts people are going on and wonder how in the heck did they get a group of like minded hunting partners. I am entering my 40's and man it would be nice to have someone split the driving, BS a little with and get excited about gear and scouting. I am blessed that my kids love it or it would be a lonely place out there. So for those who have a group to hunt with be thankful they arent easy to find.
yea. my family doesnt hunt except my brother. and he is rabid about it.

he isnt the best hunting partner because of various reasons...

my best hunting partners either live too far, or kinda diminished their own efforts. life got in the way. my one friend lives in Los Angelos, drives a Prius..so anytime we hunt, i have to go and pick him up. he is along the way to NM or AZ, but it hurts having to go to his town thru LA traffic.

Shields08

FNG
Even harder when you are from the deep south like I am. Trying to find people near me who are willing to plan long hunting trips out west and take it seriously is almost impossible.