Building a Shorty - now what to chamber it in?

fatbacks

WKR
Just about to finish up my latest project (7 SAUM on new Defiance anTi action) and I’ve already got the gears turning for a new project.

I really want to build a super short (16” or so) rifle with a lightweight/foldable chassis. Ideally make it a very light weight compact rifle capable of hunting all over Alaska. Thinking 16” proof barrrel. Maybe another defiance anTi action if I end up liking it and the XLR Element chassis.

Now what to chamber it in??? Obvious choice would be .308 Win but is there any other cartridge I am overlooking that has decent performance out of a short barrel? Intended uses would be mountain hunting shooting sheep, caribou and goats out to 500 yds. Would like something that I could shoot moose with and also have as bear protection. I like to shoot Barnes monos. Also would shoot it suppressed at times. I reload so would be able to try different powders depending on availability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram94

WKR
6.5 Creedmoor is the other decent short barrel choice. If you’re not set on the 16” barrel then the 7mm-08 is a great cartridge.

Nothing wrong with the .308 though

I've thought a lot about this type of build and keep coming back to the .308. I shoot hammer bullets, so my plan would be 152 hammer hunter most of the time and pack a few rounds with the 181 shock hammer for closer range moose and bear. Could even go up to the 199 shock in a 10 twist but it would probably eat too much case capacity in .308.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d like to build something similar but for full time suppressed use.
Defiance anti s/a
Proof 18” 6.5 cm
Manners compact stock with ul cheek piece
Bdl, possibly adl setup.
And a 42mm nightforce.

Sadly not happening any time soon.

SDHNTR

WKR
.308 is the natural choice for a reason if you want versatility. I have an 18”’r and love it.

Lawnboi

WKR
Also I’d be trying to maintain velocity, to shoot that copper. Run the numbers for some 308 Barnes load and I think your going to be disappointed given your 500 yard requirement.

Not saying the 308 is the wrong round, but I’d do some honest looking at the numbers without any input from people telling you sleeker bullets are just a fad.

JRMiller

WKR
Copper monos and a short barrel are not exactly condusive to to your requirements.
Monos need speed, and your losing that going to 16”
Doesnt matter if youre happy with sub 300 yards but 500 is a stretch.
You need to choose a caliber that is capable of burning all the powder it needs within that 16”
Otherwise youre just burning powder outside the barrel which does nothing for velocity.
A short build is always a fun change of pace just keep the above in mind and have fun :)

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
Thanks for the input so far. To follow up on monos and larger caliber options.

I had to shoot a grizzly bear at 25 yds last year and I did so with my 6.5 cm mountain rifle. It worked but not like a larger bore magnum would’ve worked. That’s why I’m thing at least 7mm and trying to maintain some velocity to shoot out to 500 ish yards. Might be chasing a unicorn with these desires.

I was looking at the Barnes 168 gr TTSX. If I could get close to 2500 FPS it looks like I would be able to keep it above 1800 FPS out to close to 500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLS

WKR
I’m shooting 165 Sierras out of an 18.5” 308. Near max load of 8208 is giving me 2650. You shouldn’t have any problem getting 2500 out of a 16” 308.

204guy

WKR
300 wsm. What can do you have? That might dictate how much powder you can burn in however short a barrel. The can will reduce some recoil and make muzzoeblast a non issue. This is 1 situation where I'm a fan of stepping up case capacity some to regain lost velocity. I would say you're on the tight track with the 168 ttsx if you insist on mono's it has a lower expansion velocity than most.

SDHNTR

WKR
I get 2550 out of my 18” bbl and 165 Barnes ttsx. I could push it more, and ideally, I’d rather shoot 150’s, but this load is a legit one holer so I use it. It flattens stuff just fine! Especially if you aim for shoulder, not ribs.

I have so much confidence in this gun and load I’d not hestitate to dump a griz at 25yds or a Dall at 500.

Wapiti1

WKR
What's wrong with you guys.

This is a job for the 6.5mm Creedmoor!!!!!!!!

You should all hang your heads in shame for thinking another choice is superior even in an impractical platform for the Creedmoor.

Now that you have been sufficiently chastised, I'd really look at the .300 and .338 RCM cartridges. Yes, they aren't popular, but they are designed to be in a compact rifle.

Jeremy

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
Good point on suppressor ratings... I have the Griffin Armament Sportsman Ultralight right now... rated for 22" barrel for 300 WM and 16" for .308.

I already shoot it on my "shorty" 300 WSM with 22" barrel but I want to go shorter...

Perhaps I need a new can to go with this hahah!