Building a Shorty - now what to chamber it in?

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
I have a 16" 338 RCM that weighs ~5.75lbs naked; shoots 225gr Cutting Edge ER Raptors at 2600fps. That gets you out to about 530 yards, if going by the general minimum velocity rule on 1800fps, but gets you out to about 780 yards if going by Cutting Edge's minimum recommended velocity of 1500fps for the ER Raptors. I shot a sheep at 230 yards with it this season and the ER Raptors performed very well. They're a very destructive bullet. The RCM cartridges perform very well with shorter barrels. Back when that rifle had a 20' barrel it was shooting 230gr ELD-X at 2730. But there isn't much for factory options so you'll have to load.

Been looking at this and then Gunwerks releases that rifle yesterday. Definitely looks like an option. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been looking at this and then Gunwerks releases that rifle yesterday. Definitely looks like an option. Thanks for the suggestion!

I can be a cartridge hipster now and claim that the 338 RCM was cool and I was on the inside before Gunwerks made it cool.

I have a 16" 338 RCM that weighs ~5.75lbs naked; shoots 225gr Cutting Edge ER Raptors at 2600fps. That gets you out to about 530 yards, if going by the general minimum velocity rule on 1800fps, but gets you out to about 780 yards if going by Cutting Edge's minimum recommended velocity of 1500fps for the ER Raptors. I shot a sheep at 230 yards with it this season and the ER Raptors performed very well. They're a very destructive bullet. The RCM cartridges perform very well with shorter barrels. Back when that rifle had a 20' barrel it was shooting 230gr ELD-X at 2730. But there isn't much for factory options so you'll have to load.
That must kick like a mule

Gen273

WKR
.338 RCM was made for the type of short configuration that you are looking at.

Brianc74

WKR
I’m going to build a new rifle. Going with the 300 Sherman short. Will be a Anti x Titanium action, HC Armory Carbon Ultralite Barrel finished at 18” with a 1-8 twist, and a Magnesium chassi folder. Should weigh less then 6lbs easy.

Brian

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
.308 is the natural choice for a reason if you want versatility. I have an 18”’r and love it.
i read a lot about people recommending the 308 for the short barrel, what about a 30-06? has more powder to make up for the velocity loss of going short on the barrel?

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 16" 308 and am planning on running the 151 Absolute hammer for similar purposes of yours but not in alaska ha. I'll be curious to see how this build turns out for you.

Antares

WKR
I had plans for a very similar rifle. I wanted a 16-18" Tikka .308, copper bullets, suppressed, good to 500 yards, and built for Alaska. I don't reload, so I was looking at factory ammo.

I couldn't make the numbers work. Your just no going to have the velocity you need past 300 yards to get that copper expanding properly. I compromised with a 20" Proof CF barrel and I'm going to try Hornady Superformance GMX 165s. I'll see what kind of velocity I'm getting. If I can stay over 2000fps out to 400-450 yards, I'll let it ride. Otherwise I'll probably go back to the 178 ELDX.

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
Bolts even on the correct side!! Man, I like the idea of the 338 RCM

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
i read a lot about people recommending the 308 for the short barrel, what about a 30-06? has more powder to make up for the velocity loss of going short on the barrel?

I’m not a scientist, but I believe that with a shorter barrel you just end up wasting powder on hot gas shooting out the barrel without any velocity gains.

I’m not a scientist, but I believe that with a shorter barrel you just end up wasting powder on hot gas shooting out the barrel without any velocity gains.
You lose velocity with a shorter barrel, but I wanted a shorter barrel for weight, handiness, and keeping the barrel out of alders. A shorter barrel can also be more accurate as it’s more rigid. But I don’t think it matters much with the carbon stump on my RCM.

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
Following up since I started this thread. Ended up going with a 300 wsm. Have all the components to reload for it and went with 30 cal since all my cans are 30 cal.

Have an anTi X in XM length coming and have an 18” proof sendero barrel for it. I am going to put it in a McMillan hunters edge sendero stock. Should be super handy without suppressor and still be like a 24” barrel with my Nomad Ti. I’ll report back when I get it all assembled.

Antares

WKR
Following up since I started this thread. Ended up going with a 300 wsm. Have all the components to reload for it and went with 30 cal since all my cans are 30 cal.

Have an anTi X in XM length coming and have an 18” proof sendero barrel for it. I am going to put it in a McMillan hunters edge sendero stock. Should be super handy without suppressor and still be like a 24” barrel with my Nomad Ti. I’ll report back when I get it all assembled.

I can't wait to see pics!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

No. Given equal barrel lengths, a 300 Rum will always be faster than a 308.

Good choice man!
Get some RL26 and I think you'll be amazed at the velocity.
I just got my 16" 6.5 saum together and hit pressure with a 142 ablr at 3015 fps.
I backed off to 2960 today and shot a 1/2" two round group at 200 yards
But you should probably just build a 6.5 creed or .308 if you're going with a shorty 🙄

20210119_160120.jpg20210119_160100.jpg

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw