Building a Thumper

sndmn11

WKR
For a new super slinger you could get a backpack, five tanks of gas, and still afford to take your love muffin to Cracker Barrel and geter fired up for that other thing you want but don't need.

I'll disagree with some of the others about a big 30 not being a real step up over the 7s.
I'm a huge 7mm fan but having killed elk at almost 1000 yards I can tell you that a heavy 30 flat knocks big shit down.
Especially when you really start stretching out there.

My advice is build something like a 20-22" 30 nosler or 300 NMI, and shoot 230 or 245 Bergers.
Hell even the 212 or 220 ELDX would be a sledge hammer.

The 300 PRC is just kinda meh for a handloader, I've owned one

IMO the ballistic numbers (drift/drop) don't look much better on 30s and 338s until you get pretty big on the thumper meter. Especially 338s because the 250s aren't going to get you a better BC than the 30s and 7s.

That said, I still like to use 30's for a little more lead for elk. Had a heavy 300 norma conversion for a Desert tech that was fun. 300 win is the biggest i currently have because recoil/simplicity trumped benefits of having a real thumper and it's capable at any distance I have any business shooting at animals. I can see the appeal of something like a 30 nosler or 30 NMI for a dedicated long range thumper.

Last edited:
Unless you've talked to a gunsmith about safely porting that Tikka action out so it will actually feed, you're gonna be pissed when you put it together and look at the dimensional limitations..
Care to be more specific? I've talked with two so far without hearing of any issue.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Care to be more specific? I've talked with two so far without hearing of any issue.
I just looked over both websites to make sure the dimensions are still the same and they are, I'm not sure how no one else has discovered this issue..

Max COAL in the 3.715" AICS is 3.615", but if you read RedSnakes description the LA Tikka bottom metal will only allow 3.5" OAL to feed, but in their specs it's built to house the 3.715" AICS mag. So if you're loaded longer than 3.5" or have a round scoot forward in the mag (which typically happens from friction of chambering the top round), the nose of the projectile hangs up under the edge of the action port.

Their website mentions Rem 700 actions needing porting from a gunsmith, but not Tikka. I never inquired about it, but it might save you some frustration.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
I own a 7 saum, 300 Norma improved, and a 338 lapua improved. The saum is an awesome cartridge but if you want a 338 in a dedicated eight hunting rig i would go with a 338 Norma improved. Would run the 250 grain bullets at a solid speed 3k plus or run the 300 grain bullets at a very reasonable speed in a 26” tube. The 300 grain bullets at extended ranges hit with authority, it’s impressive to witness.

sndmn11

WKR
I also need to remind you that you should be saving your monies for the guide's tip jar on the Cracker Barrel Queen's muley hunt.

I just looked over both websites to make sure the dimensions are still the same and they are, I'm not sure how no one else has discovered this issue..

Max COAL in the 3.715" AICS is 3.615", but if you read RedSnakes description the LA Tikka bottom metal will only allow 3.5" OAL to feed, but in their specs it's built to house the 3.715" AICS mag. So if you're loaded longer than 3.5" or have a round scoot forward in the mag (which typically happens from friction of chambering the top round), the nose of the projectile hangs up under the edge of the action port.

Their website mentions Rem 700 actions needing porting from a gunsmith, but not Tikka. I never inquired about it, but it might save you some frustration.
Thanks for the heads up. I was actually on the fence whether to go the Red Snake bottom metal or Tikka mags and this may sway the decision back. I'll chat more with my gunsmith and load up a few dummy rounds of various lengths for each mag system so that he can determine the most reliable feeding system.

bgipson

FNG
I've pondered the idea of a "thumper" for a few years now and I've come to the conclusion I'm going to get a 37XC barrel done up for the rifle I'm building. I'm going to be running the Terminus Zeus QC action so it won't run the 37XC except when I have use for it. Most of the time it will have a carbon 30 Nosler and come in around 9# for backpacking. I'll obviously make the 37 considerably heavier and use a brake instead of a can so as to manage recoil. It'll carry a ridiculous amount of energy much farther than I'll ever consider shooting it for hunting. It will also buck wind better than about anything else. Just my thoughts though...

Shraggs

WKR
You didn’t specify range, excluding the magnam aspect bigger bores do kill empathetically in my experience. If you can live within 500 yards consider a 358 win or 338 federal. Tidy package in a browning blr and manageable recoil without brake. I intend to suppress my 358 however. I also have a 350 RM which will push distance considerably.