Building a Thumper

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have matching tikkas in AG composite stocks, a 20” 7saum and a 24” 6.5cm that i shoot suppressed with a TBAC Dominus. Plenty of other stuff, but these get the most action by far nowadays. Considering adding a thumper to the mix. Something a little heavier, that will kill stuff a little deader!

I’m considering a 30 caliber that I could shoot suppressed, or jumping up to a 338 that I can shoot with a muzzle brake.

The con of a 30 cal is I don’t know that it’ll be that much “better” than my 7saum. At hunting elevations I can hold 1500ft/lbs of energy past 1000 yards. Is a 22” 300prc going to really be that much “better” for long range target shooting or hunting big elk in big country? It’s hard to quantify better, but let’s assume we’re talking wind bucking ability, down range energy, frontal diameter, velocity, etc.

The con of a 338 cal is I’ll have to shoot it with a muzzle brake, which I don’t love, but I can put a 28” barrel on it and maximize the potential.

I’m not married to a stock, but I like the idea of AG composites because the ergonomics would be the same…or I could go with a folding chassis, especially if I go longer on the barrel, regardless of caliber. I’d like to get 1000 rounds minimum before I start thinking about a new barrel and I like the idea of an efficient cartridge if that’s possible with a thumper. I don’t consider a 28 nosler to be efficient.

I’m curious if anybody else has gone through this lately, or what everyone else would do in this situation? I’d love to hear some ideas on specific cartridges. I reload so that opens up some more options.

I just cut my custom 26" 300prc to 20". Just waiting on my can to be released from purgatory to finish load development. It'll be determined whether I go with 215 hybrids or stick to 230 hybrids.

A large 338 would certainly get you a step above but it'll come at a much heavier weight penalty. Consider the 338 bullets you want to use, their weight, and add the powder weight necessary to send them at comparable speeds of your 7 saum. Then increase the weight of your 7 saum package by the same proportion to that of the 7mm bullet and powder combined weight. It just requires a much heavier package to send 338 bullets accurately to 1000 yards.

On the other hand, if you can let go of the 1000 yard idea and walk it back to say hunting the largest moose out to 600, then some neat cartridges like 33 nosler with a 225 or 250 grain bullet, look pretty good. I am building a 33 nosler right now for just that. It's on a tikka t3x with red snake bottom metal and aics magazine that gives quite a lot of head height. Mesa Precision Altitude stock. The barrel is a bull carbonsix 22" and an AB suppressor should be coming out of jail any day. I suspect it should all come out to about 9.5 lbs with my trijicon tenmile 3-18. It probably will be able to do the deed passed 800 but I'll need a lot more practice before I am up to that.

djauofd

FNG
I have a 338 win Mag 26" that shoots 250 gr Bergers Elite Hunters at 2,850 fps muzzle.( RL 26 ) 4,485 ft lbs at muzzle and 1,500 ft lbs at 1040 yds. That is calculated at sea level. Of course Elk don't sun bathe at the beach . At 7,000 ft elevation you have 1,946 ft lbs at 1,000 yds and 1,500 ft lbs out to 1,275 yds. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
Components for the 338 Win have been hard to get. Unknown Munitions had some 338 Win brass. Get it now if that is what you would build.

I have a Custom 340 Wby and a stock 338 Win that I plan to do some work to.

Definitely the answer to any elk, moose, or big bear hunt, if ai get the chance.

I like the idea of the 338 Norma or 338 RUM if you are going long, especially with the 28" barrel your planning. I would build it on a Greyboe Phoenix. NF ATACR 5-25x....

Dammit.... now I got another project to start...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Besides more recoil, more powder et el I don't see any advantage over a 175-195 gr 7mm.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Besides more recoil, more powder et el I don't see any advantage over a 175-195 gr 7mm.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
This was my conclusion. I think you have to go .338 to get any advantage over the 7mm.

Also depends on how far out you want to thump… just having a heavier bullet will do more. I kinda like the 338 wildcats that Rich Sherman has made. I even like the idea of the 338 federal. If I were to get a bigger gun, it would be a 338 over a 308.

I would agree that a 30 cal is too close in performance to your 7mm.

For a big rifle, I went with a 338 Win Mag. I'm getting 2900 fps from a 24" barrel and 225 grain Accubonds. Since I put a heavier scope on it, it is just a shade over 9 pounds right now. I don't like the weight, but it does damp the recoil some.

Totoro

WKR
Tag, I sorta did something along the same lines.

I opted for 20" 300WSM with 175 Badlands BD2.

Haven't shot any heavy or big bodied animals but on hogs, WOW!

Agreed, though, with high BC 7mm and high MV it closes the gap to the venerable 300+215 combo.

But to get more, you gotta jump up to 338 class IMO.

300gr @ 3000 = HammerTime!

bradb

WKR
In the long run I dont think it will really matter. I recently did a 22" 300 prc and I am pushing 215s at 2961. I had it and a buddies 7 saum out the other day and my observation through the scope at 980 yards was, the 215s hit the steal lots harder. But in reality the animal I am sure wont like either

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a 7 SAUM, 6.5 PRC so I decided for my next it was going to be a 338. I'm going with the 338 Edge. I wanted a 338 Terminator, but mag length was an issue, as Defiance didn't have any that were capable of a 4in OAL.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
It's on a tikka t3x with red snake bottom metal and aics magazine that gives quite a lot of head height.
Unless you've talked to a gunsmith about safely porting that Tikka action out so it will actually feed, you're gonna be pissed when you put it together and look at the dimensional limitations..