Building points for archery elk

Elk830

FNG
I am a 19 year old bowhunter from Oregon and am currently in my first hunting season ever. I am currently building up points in Oregon for elk and Colorado for elk but feel that the preference point system as a whole is somewhat confusing. As of right now, what are the best states to build points in for archery elk on public land? Thanks for the input!

OR Archer

WKR
If you’re just starting out now you need to be buying Points in Wyoming and Arizona. I don’t think I’d waste money on Colorado or Utah. Montana I don’t know enough about their system. And as far as Oregon goes with east side going to a draw for a lot of the units for elk I’d build points there also only because you’re a resident. If you weren’t I’d tell you not to waste money on Oregon. Hard to say what that change will do to the point pool. I’m guessing the point creep will worsen. If that’s the case you need to decide if you’re willing to chase say Weneha or Mt Emily. Or dump them on lesser units. Just my 2 cents.

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
If you’re just starting out now you need to be buying Points in Wyoming and Arizona. I don’t think I’d waste money on Colorado or Utah. Montana I don’t know enough about their system. And as far as Oregon goes with east side going to a draw for a lot of the units for elk I’d build points there also only because you’re a resident. If you weren’t I’d tell you not to waste money on Oregon. Hard to say what that change will do to the point pool. I’m guessing the point creep will worsen. If that’s the case you need to decide if you’re willing to chase say Weneha or Mt Emily. Or dump them on lesser units. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you so much for the insight! For both of those states you just have to buy a license and then put in for the draw correct?

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
Preface this with this is 2021 information, and my opinion on the subject.

Arizona and Wyoming would be the top 2. Arizona, you need to apply every year at the draw to get a point, which happens Late Jan./Early Feb. And that is the only time to get a point. The nice thing with AZ is everyone has a chance so you might as well apply and hope to get lucky while building points. Also it's 15 per species; so you can apply for all the big game species if the budget allows.

Wyoming, you purchase points after the draw from July to the end of October, so you can get a point this year yet. WY also has a random portion of their draw, but you have to front the money and they hold on to it for 3 months on the Elk draw (none of the other species are that bad).

After that, I would still use Colorado, but wouldn't build more than 4-5 points before I spent them on a hunt. Beyond that, you could end up in point purgatory (too far from an okay limited entry hunt and unable to catch the premium hunts). CO is truly a preference point state so the people with the most points get the tags. You can only get points during the draw in early April.

Further options, Utah and Nevada are really a once in lifetime for any non-resident Elk hunter and would only consider them if you have the budget for it. Only time to get a point is during the draw. Utah is in February and Nevada is in May. If you are interested in more than elk, Utah and Nevada are a better value, because building points for other species is relatively inexpensive and there are some opportunities for Mule Deer in those states on a shorter term option. So it's complicated.

What I consider an OTC option, Idaho counts and if you want to play Mortal Kombat elk tag edition, you can probably get an OTC hunt every Dec. 1st at Midnight. Beyond that, you can enter into the limited entry draw for elk, deer, and antelope which doesn't have a point system so who knows. In my opinion, Idaho needs to turn their OTC tag into a draw for non-residents similar to Wyoming and Montana.

Montana has a draw for a general tag every year which you could draw every 1-2 years and might need a preference point to guarantee you draw. After you draw the general tag, you can then be entered into the Limited entry hunts which works on a bonus point system. If you don't apply in the draw in MT, you can purchase points until the end of September.

New Mexico is a draw state with no preference points. You really need to understand the system, but you can purchase a license and apply without having to build points. So you can take years off and still have the same odds the next year.

Kentucky is a luck of the draw state. So you can always put in and hope for the best, but it's a little far from you.

I don't know enough about any of the other states to give details, because I didn't really research their regulations.

Biggest thing is to have a budget for what you can spend each year and plan around that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I only apply Oregon points because I’m currently stuck here for work. As many states as you can afford. We don’t mess with Washington. Montana is confusing and expensive. Also don’t forget other spices. Your already paying for the license even if you have no antelope or deer aspirations right now might as well gain points for future. My biggest mistake to buying points in other states was waiting as long as I did to get started. GoHUNT can give you pretty good ideas on what to expect for realistic chances to hunt throughout different states.