Building Preference Points

Planning on moving to Colorado in a few years. Anyone know if prefence points that I aquire as a non-resident will transfer over to resident prefence points when I gain residency? Not seeing it on the website if it is even on there. Just don't want to waste money on points for those hard to draw tags, but I would like to get a start now gaining some points.

Thanks,
Ryan

Gman

WKR
I believe the short answer is yes, they transfer. I just looked in the 2013 book and there's no specific mention of it either way. But you're points are attached to your CID not your residency. You could always give the CDOW a call at 303-297-1192 and verify. They are always very helpful.

bbrown

WKR
My understanding is that preference points are just a number attached to you CID # and do not show resident or non resident - that all depends on which box you check on you app.

If you don't mind I'm going to piggyback a question on this thread...

Is there any difference between residents and nonresidents in applying for hunts that require X amount of points (X could be zero too)?
I ask because I've talked with CO residents and they have said 'well I can draw this 3rd season hunt as a 2nd choice every year as a resident"... it was my thinking that as long as there isn't a 'cap' on nonres tags for a unit it was all points dependent.

Mike

I think technically there are "caps" on all NR allocations. Read page 3 here, lower right corner:
http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf

Let me know if you interpret it differently.

That's what I was looking for thanks Gman. I interpret it the same as you. I had been basing my assumption on the "Hunt Recap Summaries" from this link:
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Pages/Statistics.aspx

If you select on the 2012 Deer "Hunt Recap Summaries" link you'll notice it opens a tab and there's a column listed "Quota" and they have "Nonres" listed there as well as Resident, and private LO...etc I had never seen any of the quotas for NR's listed there so I assumed it was strictly based on a points approach. Thank you for the clarification.

Mike

Gman

WKR
If you don't mind I'm going to piggyback a question on this thread...

Is there any difference between residents and nonresidents in applying for hunts that require X amount of points (X could be zero too)?
I ask because I've talked with CO residents and they have said 'well I can draw this 3rd season hunt as a 2nd choice every year as a resident"... it was my thinking that as long as there isn't a 'cap' on nonres tags for a unit it was all points dependent.

Mike

Yep, it's confusing. I know the DOW says the reason the tables are so hard to read is that they weren't originally intended to be read by us, but only internal biologists. However, they put so much effort and money into making the draw / research experience customer friendly (and I think they do a pretty good job) that I've never understood why they don't clean up this part of the process and make it super easy to determine draw results and draw odds. I talked to Aron about creating a draw odds section on this site where you can just plug in species, season, points, residency and see if you're likely to draw but it sounds like it would take a lot of work and cash to make it happen -- always seems easy in theory.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Mike,
the residents get 65% of the tags, non-resident 35% UNLESS that hunt code has taken residents 6 or more points to draw. If 6 points or more, then nonresidents go to 20% of tags.

A very fair system for non-residents compared to other Western States and is one reason Colorado is so popular for non-residents

Ryan, I'd just call them, it's usually the fastest most accurate way.

Craig4791

WKR
If you Subscribe to Colorado Outdoors there is a pref point issue that gives draw odds for each species, unit and weapon for both res an non res.

Here is what elk looks like for the 2012 draw archery

Sorry the pic is not showing very good uploading from my phone.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360690466.834273.jpg

Gman

WKR
If you Subscribe to Colorado Outdoors there is a pref point issue that gives draw odds for each species, unit and weapon for both res an non res.

Here is what elk looks like for the 2012 draw archery

Sorry the pic is not showing very good uploading from my phone.

View attachment 5907

Craig - great point. I forgot about this as I do subscribe. It's a negligible cost, $20-ish a year, for your sanity.

OP
Moose Drool
Just got of the phone with CDOW. Points are points regardless of if they were accumulated in a resident or non-resident status.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
thanks for clarifying that Ryan,

speaking of this, the only way to ever draw a Strip Tag in AZ (as a non-max point holder) is to become a resident! I've been tempted many times to move there!

shaun

WKR
Ive been tempted many times to move anywere but CA haha hopefully everything works out with Colorado office and I will be moving pretty quick

Mike,
the residents get 65% of the tags, non-resident 35% UNLESS that hunt code has taken residents 6 or more points to draw. If 6 points or more, then nonresidents go to 20% of tags.

A very fair system for non-residents compared to other Western States and is one reason Colorado is so popular for non-residents

Ryan, I'd just call them, it's usually the fastest most accurate way.

Thanks for clarifying again Robby. I agree it's a fair system and I'm glad that there's a real benefit to being a CO resident besides tag prices even though I'm a nonres...

Mike