Building your rifle

tdhanses

WKR
Originally built by TS Customs as a 270wsm, rebarreled to a 300wsm, weighs around 6.5lbs naked and just over 8lbs dressed.

71160B7B-35EE-4981-AFA5-86896FF293FC.jpeg00A8CF26-05BA-4171-8E88-54FBA8BC749C.jpeg

Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter
Shilen 24" stainless match grade barrel 1-9 twist - 280 Ackley Improved
Trigger adjusted to 2.5#
Stock original walnut - pillar & glass bedded
Bolt and action face trued
Metal work done in John Norrell Arms Moly Resin
Leupold 4.5x14x40mm with B&C reticle

1595953286952.png

I’ll get some m pics up soon but for this season I’ll be shooting another rifle built by my brother.
28Nosler
Rem 700 trued/bolt handle retimed
26” #4 Fluted 8 twist Preferred barrel MBM Brake
Bix and Andy Dakota trigger
Hawkins bottom metal and Hybrid rings
JCS Sporter stock
Sniper grey/graphite black Cerakote
NF NXS 3.5-15

Shooting 195EOL over RL33 very well so far. Will try some Hammers also.

B8F9386E-9DC9-4795-AD45-4CA33D19EC0B.jpegF15583EB-8BE2-4948-A8A7-AB1DC7EF74F8.jpeg

Attachments

• E770EDC2-4FA9-4672-BF36-4A9FDA3DB654.jpeg
    E770EDC2-4FA9-4672-BF36-4A9FDA3DB654.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I’ll get some m pics up soon but for this season I’ll be shooting another rifle built by my brother.
28Nosler
Rem 700 trued/bolt handle retimed
26” #4 Fluted 8 twist Preferred barrel MBM Brake
Bix and Andy Dakota trigger
Hawkins bottom metal and Hybrid rings
JCS Sporter stock
Sniper grey/graphite black Cerakote
NF NXS 3.5-15

Shooting 195EOL over RL33 very well so far. Will try some Hammers also.

View attachment 201349View attachment 201350
Is that a different bolt handle?? Looks great!

OP
S

Sneaky223

FNG
20200504_195236.jpg
I haven't got into reloading yet but Hornady eld-x 143's are running at 2940 to 3000 fps. Plus the groups are pretty good

Wapiti1

WKR
Well, since you asked, here are a few that I have made.

9.3X64 Brenneke. VZ24 action, 25" Lothar Walther barrel, Dayton trigger, Cali Claro stock done by me (since checkered), custom hinged bottom metal by me, 2 Pos Wisner swing safety, custom bolt handle by me, rust blue.
_MG_8598.JPG

.458 Lott. M1917 Enfield action recontoured by me, Douglas barrel at 23", Jaeger trigger, Recknagel banded from and express rear sights, Oregon Myrtle stock done by me, Weibe hinged bottom metal, rust blue. It has since been checkered. It started as a .416 Remington, and I moved that barreled action to another stock, and put the Lott in this one. It has since been torn down to have double square bridges added. Its ready for bluing, but I haven't had the time. The bear skull and hide are MT bears, not the same bear though.
416 Remington Merge Small.jpg

Weatherby Vanguard action originally in .300 Wby Mag. Rebarreled with a Douglas tube at 26" in 7mm Rem Mag. Stock is black walnut done by me. Checkering by Ahlmans. I can't checker worth a hoot. Rifle was a present from my wife's niece to her husband.
IMG_1916 small.jpg

.375 Ruger. Santa Barbara Mauser action, Timney trigger, 21" Douglas Barrel contoured by me, Mannlicher full stock in English walnut done by me, Lyman front and rear sights from Ebay, checkered steel grip cap, custom hinged bottom metal by me. Has since been checkered. Built for a good friend that is now deceased.

Right side by honeysuckle small.jpg

My wifes rifle. 7X57 Mauser, Santa Barbara Mauser action, original trigger, blind magazine, 24" Shilen stainless barrel, english walnut stock made and checkered by Roy Keeley. Started life as my rifle in .243 Win. The stock has a 12" LOP and it fit my wife perfectly, so we rebarreled it to something that she could hunt anything with. It's been around and taken quite a lot of game.

P1030409 rifle crop.jpg

.416 Rem Mag. M1917 Enfield action recontoured by me, Dayton trigger, Wiebe bottom metal, 23" Douglas barrel, Recknagel sights and sling swivel, Biesen steel grip cap, rust blue, Claro walnut stock done by me. Not sure where the walnut came from, but it it nice. Very misleading stock blank. It looked like a plain blank and I got it for a song. It was very dark and showed little figure. Once I started to cut it, it came to life. Very dense wood for claro.

P1030492 rifle crop.jpg

Just a few I've built. I build LR and precision rifles too, but they have no soul or life to them. I prefer wood and blued steel for looks, feel and tradition.

OP
S

Sneaky223

FNG

9.3X64 Brenneke. VZ24 action, 25" Lothar Walther barrel, Dayton trigger, Cali Claro stock done by me (since checkered), custom hinged bottom metal by me, 2 Pos Wisner swing safety, custom bolt handle by me, rust blue.
View attachment 201438

.458 Lott. M1917 Enfield action recontoured by me, Douglas barrel at 23", Jaeger trigger, Recknagel banded from and express rear sights, Oregon Myrtle stock done by me, Weibe hinged bottom metal, rust blue. It has since been checkered. It started as a .416 Remington, and I moved that barreled action to another stock, and put the Lott in this one. It has since been torn down to have double square bridges added. Its ready for bluing, but I haven't had the time. The bear skull and hide are MT bears, not the same bear though.
View attachment 201440

Weatherby Vanguard action originally in .300 Wby Mag. Rebarreled with a Douglas tube at 26" in 7mm Rem Mag. Stock is black walnut done by me. Checkering by Ahlmans. I can't checker worth a hoot. Rifle was a present from my wife's niece to her husband.
View attachment 201446

.375 Ruger. Santa Barbara Mauser action, Timney trigger, 21" Douglas Barrel contoured by me, Mannlicher full stock in English walnut done by me, Lyman front and rear sights from Ebay, checkered steel grip cap, custom hinged bottom metal by me. Has since been checkered. Built for a good friend that is now deceased.

View attachment 201452

My wifes rifle. 7X57 Mauser, Santa Barbara Mauser action, original trigger, blind magazine, 24" Shilen stainless barrel, english walnut stock made and checkered by Roy Keeley. Started life as my rifle in .243 Win. The stock has a 12" LOP and it fit my wife perfectly, so we rebarreled it to something that she could hunt anything with. It's been around and taken quite a lot of game.

View attachment 201463

.416 Rem Mag. M1917 Enfield action recontoured by me, Dayton trigger, Wiebe bottom metal, 23" Douglas barrel, Recknagel sights and sling swivel, Biesen steel grip cap, rust blue, Claro walnut stock done by me. Not sure where the walnut came from, but it it nice. Very misleading stock blank. It looked like a plain blank and I got it for a song. It was very dark and showed little figure. Once I started to cut it, it came to life. Very dense wood for claro.

View attachment 201471

Just a few I've built. I build LR and precision rifles too, but they have no soul or life to them. I prefer wood and blued steel for looks, feel and tradition.

Sir.... you my friend are very talented. I appreciate your rifles.

Wapiti1

WKR
Sir.... you my friend are very talented. I appreciate your rifles.

Hehehehe. I only show the ones that worked out. Seriously, thank you. They are a lot of fun to build and you get a great appreciation for the real artists out there. I do a passable job, but am no Burgess or Goens.

Jeremy

robtattoo

WKR

View attachment 201438

View attachment 201440

View attachment 201446

View attachment 201452

View attachment 201463

View attachment 201471

Would you please adopt me? 😍

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder how many guys have built rifles based on specs they read on forums only to discover that one known law of the internet is that the majority of guys lie about how lightweight their rifles are?

“Under 8#, ‘all up!’” - the guy who has never weighed his rifle, probably.

tdhanses

WKR
I wonder how many guys have built rifles based on specs they read on forums only to discover that one known law of the internet is that the majority of guys lie about how lightweight their rifles are?

“Under 8#, ‘all up!’” - the guy who has never weighed his rifle, probably.
Plenty of factory rifles weigh 6lbs or so, some are under that, put a scope on that weighs 15oz or less and it’s easy to be under 8lbs.

robtattoo

WKR
By God! I reckon, I will stand with you... Let’s see a pic of the rifleman’s rifle, how bout it?

Well, we're getting there. I'm sending the stock out to Ahlman's on Monday for point pattern checkering. The metal parts just got finished yesterday by GTs Customizing in Casper.

Stock so far.......
20201012_173540.jpg

Metalwork before.....
20200716_173538.jpg

And after.....14763.jpeg
14757.jpeg
14761.jpeg
14758.jpeg

rootacres

WKR
My current build:

7mm SAUM
Bighorn Origin SA
Bartlein CF 22"
Allterra Arms Stock
Timmy HIT
BDL Bottom Metal
Area 419 Brake
Warne Mountain Rings
Vortex 3-15x42 LHT

If I did it again

7mm SAUM
Bighorn Origin SA
Bartlein or Proof
Allterra Arms or AG Composites Stocks
Timmy HIT or Triggertech
DBM (probably)
Area 419 or APA brakes
Someones lightweight rings*
Vortex LHT or Leupold Mark 6 or Nightforce

I cant pinpoint anything I don't like about my build now but there are compromises with everything so. . . My rifle is 8lbs 3 oz. I think around 8.5lbs is a great spot for a magnum hunting rifle to land. I won't say a bad thing about Allterra arms, their customer service is the best I have ever experienced period, but a slightly more vertical grip might be desirable. I have become a big fan of the 7mm SAUM and 7mm WSM. I think it brings the hammer out to 600 yds on elk but can push good bullets at moderate speeds for everything else. Id build another rifle for moose or if 1000 yds was on the table id go to a 30 cal mag (probably PRC or Weatherby).

Wapiti1

WKR
Well, we're getting there. I'm sending the stock out to Ahlman's on Monday for point pattern checkering. The metal parts just got finished yesterday by GTs Customizing in Casper.

Stock so far.......
View attachment 253463

Metalwork before.....
View attachment 253465

And after.....View attachment 253466
View attachment 253467
View attachment 253469
View attachment 253470
Rob,

Did you get this fine layout of parts put together?

Curious if you refinished the stock and how it turned out? I suspect that wood will pop without Winchesters wood killing glop on it.

Jeremy

robtattoo

WKR
Rob,

Did you get this fine layout of parts put together?

Curious if you refinished the stock and how it turned out? I suspect that wood will pop without Winchesters wood killing glop on it.

Jeremy

Not quite yet. I should have all the metal back this week. I refinished the stock myself; lots & lots of hand rubbed oil. I bought it as 'refinished' with about a quarter inch of poly varnish on it.

I'm guessing it'll be a few weeks yet before it's all assembled & shooting.