Building your rifle

Sticky762

FNG
Depends on what and at what ranges you are hunting.
Anything <150 yards, AR pistol in .50 Beo, .458 Soc, or .450 Bushmaster.
Anything 150-300, synthetic stock bolt gun or AR -10 in .308 or 7mm-08.
Anything 300-600, Bolt gun, long action magnum, in .338 Lapua Mag or .300 Win Mag.

Those will keep it light and accurate, and pack a serious punch.

rayporter

WKR
ok = for this thread.
both of these just finished last month. the near is a 300 mag on a McMillian stock with a lilja barrel at 8lb -2 0z
its mate is a 30-06 in a McMillian stock with a bartlein at 8lb 6 oz
and the doc told me not to shoot anything over a 22 whaaaaaa!

oXsnzoY.jpg

rayporter

WKR
and for the heavy wt guys, a 12 lb 6.5x284 that has shot 5 inchs in registered shoots at 1000yd, it sports a 6,5-20 scope for the time being and for paper i add a bulzeye booster that will raise that to 26x or 28x

no i dont carry it around
145GCdA.jpg

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
I built a .243 on a savage action and loved it. But I wound up tearing it apart to finance some electronics for my bass boat. I’m currently building a 7mm Rem Mag, but I bought a staggerfeed instead of a centerfeed, so that upset me. Haha. I also want to build a 6x45 off of a savage .223 action. I just love Savages.

Eric_F

FNG
I realize I'm the odd one out here hunting with an AR, but I love the ergonomics and adjustability of the platform. The 6.5 Grendel has performed great on whitetail and 129 LRAB's out to 200 (the farthest I am likely to have a shot where I hunt) but I've shot a PRS style match out to 600 with it. Weight is about 9.5 lbs which is absolutely not an issue for deer stand hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_140854.jpg
    IMG_20210124_140854.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 17
Got a question for you guys. If let’s say I had a Tikka T3x and someone was selling a stock for a Tikka T3x and they had already glass bedded it, is it good to go for my action, or do the same model of actions vary enough that it wouldn’t work just to put mine in it? I’m just wondering because I’ve seen people sell them and they had already been bedded.

Eric_F

FNG
Got a question for you guys. If let’s say I had a Tikka T3x and someone was selling a stock for a Tikka T3x and they had already glass bedded it, is it good to go for my action, or do the same model of actions vary enough that it wouldn’t work just to put mine in it? I’m just wondering because I’ve seen people sell them and they had already been bedded.
The Tikka T3/T3x actions are all identical, won't have a problem there I think. The barrel profile would the the thing I'd look at, as long as they match for whatever area of the barrel channel was bedded (or the old barrel was larger profile) you should be fine.

The Tikka T3/T3x actions are all identical, won't have a problem there I think. The barrel profile would the the thing I'd look at, as long as they match for whatever area of the barrel channel was bedded (or the old barrel was larger profile) you should be fine.
Ok thanks. So if the stock that was previously bedded was made for a larger diameter proof barrel and I was just using the stock barrel, would the extra space be a big deal? I know you want them free floating anyways.

Wapiti1

WKR
Ok thanks. So if the stock that was previously bedded was made for a larger diameter proof barrel and I was just using the stock barrel, would the extra space be a big deal? I know you want them free floating anyways.
You're good with a larger barrel channel as long as you are OK with the gaps.

Jeremy

Eric_F

FNG
Yeah it essentially removes some of the added stiffness benefits from the bedding but it will work fine, back more like the original free floating.

rayporter

WKR
wellllllll. i disagree some on weather it will fit in a stock that another action came out of. it may fit but i would skim bed it into the new stock to get a perfect bedding.

just cause it fits dont mean it fits perfect, which is the name of the game.

wellllllll. i disagree some on weather it will fit in a stock that another action came out of. it may fit but i would skim bed it into the new stock to get a perfect bedding.

Ok. I appreciate another opinion.

Trapperkid

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so I'm new here but I just have to say you guys have some absolute beautiful rifles. I hope I can have something like them one day